Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs sent phone to samsung to check for fake

Options
  • 14-03-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi. First post here.(Well I moved it from another thread after being advised but anyway..)

I ordered a phone off eBay from Hong Kong and after being in customs for the week my mother rang up and they said that they gave it to Samsung to check if It was a fake. First of all it's a respectable Chinese brand and not a copy of anything especially not any Samsung phones. Is there anything I can do to get it to me faster as I have been waiting weeks to get it.
    Is customs really allowed to do this? I'm expecting to receive it visibly used with scratches etc.
    Also I think it was sent as a gift If that matters and the band is THL model w1+
    any help?
    Thanks you all.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Milfhunter wrote: »
    Is there anything I can do to get it to me faster as I have been waiting weeks to get it.
    Is customs really allowed to do this? I'm expecting to receive it visibly used with scratches etc.

No, there is nothing you can do. You must wait.

Yes, Customs can do it.

No idea why you expect to receive it with scratches and visibly used. They are only going to examine it, not throw it around the place. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

If you paid by paypal you will receive a full refund if found to be a clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

What Chinese phone was it?
    There was a thread on the Android forum recently where the same thing happened. The phone was very similar to the Galaxy S3 and had a cloned Touchwiz UI also.
    It was seized by customs, IMEI checked by Samsung which determined phone was a clone and was destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Milfhunter

ongarite wrote: »
    What Chinese phone was it?
    There was a thread on the Android forum recently where the same thing happened. The phone was very similar to the Galaxy S3 and had a cloned Touchwiz UI also.
    It was seized by customs, IMEI checked by Samsung which determined phone was a clone and was destroyed.

The phone is a THL W1+, its not a s3 clone but I seen thousands of them on ebay. Its not a clone of anything or does it have a clone of any software its just stock android 4.0.
    I would consider it ok if it was a samsung clone put its not at all
    Heres a pic :http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/299/583/500/500583299_135.jpg

If anything it looks more like a HTC phone except for this has more hardware like a camera key etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We can't judge if this is a clone or not - ultimately it's in the hands of Customs right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Im a bit confused here but how can a company decide what is and isn't an infringement of their copyright? Surely that's an area for the legislative branch of the state to decide.

Should I wait out the customs letter or file a paypal dispute while I still can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd file the dispute. But what reason will you give?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

File a dispute for item not received. If it is cleared you can close the dispute and if necessary resend the money back to the seller. If the item is fake at least you will have your dispute open before the deadline.

Miaireland wrote: »
    File a dispute for item not received. If it is cleared you can close the dispute and if necessary resend the money back to the seller. If the item is fake at least you will have your dispute open before the deadline.
    I messaged the seller telling him I have not recieved the item and he said its in customs and to wait. Is there a certain time from that I can make a dispute in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's 45 days. You can open the dispute without seller authorisation AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Paulw wrote: »
    No, there is nothing you can do. You must wait.

Yes, Customs can do it.

No idea why you expect to receive it with scratches and visibly used. They are only going to examine it, not throw it around the place. :eek:

But why send it to Samsung, if it is not actually branded as Samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

It doesn't need to be, just to use something they have the rights to.

I would put in a claim that it hasn't arrived. Put in the notes that it may be held up at customs and you are willing to wait another week before requesting a refund.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I am only guessing, but if it looks like a Samsung, and has internal parts like a Samsung, then Samsung would be best able to judge. Many of these "third party" phones are made in the same factory as the genuine model and are just badged differently. The IP rights would still belong to Samsung, and we all know that China doesn't pay much attention to IP rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Paulw wrote: »
    I am only guessing, but if it looks like a Samsung, and has internal parts like a Samsung, then Samsung would be best able to judge. Many of these "third party" phones are made in the same factory as the genuine model and are just badged differently. The IP rights would still belong to Samsung, and we all know that China doesn't pay much attention to IP rights.

Apple, Google, Nokia and Samsung could probably claim IP rights on the hundreds of components in the phone. It's a minefield. Why send it to one crowd?

OP, I would write a letter to the head of Customs and ask for the reasons they sent your particular phone to Samsung, and make it clear you want to know why they sent it to Samsung as opposed to anybody else.

I got a letter today which said I need to send a copy of the invoice so they can calculate the tax on it. So that means I'm getting it. The weird thing is that on the letter it says "Contents: China - Samsung Phone".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Milfhunter wrote: »
    I got a letter today which said I need to send a copy of the invoice so they can calculate the tax on it. So that means I'm getting it. The weird thing is that on the letter it says "Contents: China - Samsung Phone".

Maybe thats what the seller put on the package as a discription?
    Might explain why Customs had concerns,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Maybe thats what the seller put on the package as a discription?
    Might explain why Customs had concerns,

No, he said on the package that it was a $20 mp3 player and sent it as a gift. I should be getting it tomorrow and have to pay 34 euro tax on it. I dont really mind paying the tax as its still much cheaper than buying it from a European vendor, what annoys me is that it was in customs for 10 days:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yeah I hate when they get their grubby hands on things and charge you not only for the itme price, but they charge you tax on the delivery price too.

finally got it today!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Gift is a red flag. If he put something like Android phone, $20, there would be no tax and it would have been fine more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

goz83 wrote: »
    Yeah I hate when they get their grubby hands on things and charge you not only for the itme price, but they charge you tax on the delivery price too.

Because that's the way VAT works?

If you bought it within the EU, the vendor would have paid VAT when they imported it, including on the shipping price, and it'd be factored into what you pay them anyway.

Advertisement