Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PETMANIA - What does it take to stop their emails?

Options
  • 20-03-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Some time ago, I started getting e-mails from Petmania.

This in itself was fine as I had been using their services.

HOWEVER the e-mails were mis-spelling my name (for example saying Dear Brennan instead of Brendan).

So I clicked the unsubscribe button at the end of the e-mail.

And then I got more. So I phoned my local Petmania and asked them to desist.

And they still kept coming.

And then I replied to one of the e-mails telling them to desist or I would stop using Petmania (and I have to an extent only using them for the bare essentials now).

And I have pressed "unsubscribe" many many times.

And today I have received another e-mail.

Advice please. My blood pressure needs lowering somewhat :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Click the Spam button ,problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

How much time lapsed between you un-subscribing the first time and today?
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/RightsPlainEnglish.htm&CatID=16&m=r
    7. Right to remove your details from a direct marketing list

If a data controller holds personal details about you for direct marketing purposes, you can ask them to remove your details. You can do this by writing to the organisation or person holding these details. They must let you know within 40 days if they have dealt with your request.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks Slim Jim. I appreciate your help.

This has been going on for MONTHS.

Since last October or so, possibly earlier.

What I'm going to do is contact them directly and tell them that if I get any more e-mails from them I will make contact with the Data Protection Commissioner.
    http://www.dataprotection.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Bicycle wrote: »
    Thanks Slim Jim. I appreciate your help.

This has been going on for MONTHS.

Since last October or so, possibly earlier.

What I'm going to do is contact them directly and tell them that if I get any more e-mails from them I will make contact with the Data Protection Commissioner.
    http://www.dataprotection.ie

Fair enough, give them one more chance. I wouldn't. You've told them enough times.

DPC takes a very dim view of this sort of SPAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks everyone.

While I appreciate that the DPC takes a poor view of spam, my aim was to stop the e-mails rather than create hassle for them or for me.

I've already stopped using their dog grooming service so they're already a couple of hundred euros out of pocket per annum anyhow!!

I rang Petmania's head office in Kilkenny yesterday and told them that if they didn't remove my name I would be contacting the DPC. They subsequently sent me a screen shot of the form involved. They have also said they will investigate why the "unsubscribe" button was not working.

If this is a once off problem, then that is fine.

If however I receive even ONE more e-mail from them then I will be in touch with the DPC. And if others reading this have had a similar problem to mine then perhaps they should contact the DPC directly.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. It has been appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Or you could simply make a mail rule so that all mails from petmania go into your junk folder. Issue solved.

Advertisement