Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway versus Cork.

• 08-01-2012 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭

I was out in Galway last night for a stag and I must say I was impressed. We had tapas in Cava and it was delicious I have to say. Went to Coyotes bar and tried a bit of bull riding then.

Galway seems lively and on a par with Cork at least.

So AH which is the better city to live and socialize in?

Galway or Cork. Which is better? 58 votes

Cork
    0% 0 votes
    Galway
    34% 20 votes
    Atari Hy-Brasil
    65% 38 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Never lived, or went out in, Galway. Maybe i'll put that next on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Clearly Galway. Up the Tribesmen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Cork without a doubt.

Its not so good on the restaurant front but some great pubs on Barracks St and many a day I have spent wandering down the hill going in to each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Went to Coyotes bar and tried a bit of bull riding.

Regardless of how unattractive the lady in question was, to call her a 'bull' is most ungentlemanly of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Where is the Town option?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

D-Generate wrote: »
    Cork without a doubt.

Its not so good on the restaurant front but some great pubs on Barracks St and many a day I have spent wandering down the hill going in to each one.

Clearly you've never eaten in Cork then!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

I don't think I've been to Galway, so yeah, Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

It has to be Galway for me. Many great memories from college, RAG Week, nights out on Quay street, nights out down "the west" (Roisin, Blue Note, Massimo), drinking on the Sparch, Arts Week, Galway Races, Volvo Ocean Race, tipping the wall in Salthill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Galway has some great bars. Never been to cork, but I imagine the accents would get quite grating.

Why the f*ck did you go into Coyotes? That's probably the worst representation of Galway possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why the f*ck did you go into Coyotes? That's probably the worst representation of Galway possible.

Ah shure it was a stag and pretty girls coaxed us in like Galway mermaids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Galway wins hands down, While Cork has many good pubs as well, it is by far very very clanish unlike Galway which has a very laid back atmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Shocked at the results so far. Cork is BY FAR a better city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

FearDark wrote: »
    Shocked at the results so far. Cork is BY FAR a better city.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Galway. for some strange reason, Cork is full of langars.

Can we just say now that Galway is the best city in Ireland? In any of these polls so far, Galway came out on top by far. Surely it should be official now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I dont think anyone can disagree when I said I've never had a bad night out in the Brog in Cork. Place is daycent! Clubs here are ****e (but that can be said for any club anywhere :pac:), but the pubs are brilliant!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Galway. for some strange reason, Cork is full of langars.

There's a few langers aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I really liked Galway. apart from the 25 year old KGB :rolleyes: bouncer on Roisin Dubh.

Myself and my friend both agreed we got an awful reception in Cork, mean and grumpy people who didnt like Dubs. Not everyone of course, but well enough to colour my perception of the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The fact that you only went to coyotes and thought that was on a par with Cork gives an indication that cork must be cack altogether.

Next time, ignore the street reps and keep walking down shop street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

tdv123 wrote: »

Galway is a good night out.

Cork, on the other hand, is the worst night out I've had anywhere in Europe. Even worse than Middlesbrough, Portsmouth or Dresden. The people were ruder than anywhere else I have ever been, walking in to any pub felt like the pub scene from "An American Werewolf in London". Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

summerskin wrote: »
    The people were ruder than anywhere else I have ever been, walking in to any pub felt like the pub scene from "An American Werewolf in London". Never again.

Yea, once they heard our accents you could see people faces changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

You liked Galway? and you went to the biggest skangers bar in town! Imagine if you went to a decent bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Coyotes does be loaded with dirty scumbags and probably has the worst smoking section out of all the clubs with that insy winsy gate everyone squeezes through.

I don't know Cork too well, was down there years ago and thought it was a nice spot.

I'll pick Galway since it's the perfect sized city, not too big but not too small either. It's not too far away from my hometown anyways so I'm not far from most people I know.

Plus, it has Knacker Dwarf :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The Hathfields and the Mc-coys. Cork would win in a fight, for some reason Corkonions seem to be big and tall.

I couldn't decide, they both have great pubs, they are both nice and compact and with-in reach of beautiful scenery. I love them both.

BUT fkucen hell cork what the hell is the story with your one-way system, did you deliberately make like that to laugh at the Dubs trying to get around the place. I once got trapped in it for 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Cork for the while but been to Galway alright just not been out in Galway yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

D-Generate wrote: »
    Barrack Street's great, but Cork is great for restaurants IMO. The renowned posh ones are over-rated shyte, but the mid-priced ones rarely disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Go try the holiday forum or something.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement