Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions you hold, but which you know are false

Options
  • 08-01-2012 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

I had a debate with my Dad this morning about horse meat. He was in France and he ordered it. I criticized him, but I had no logical reason to do so any more than criticizing him for eating beef. I still think eating horse meat is morally repugnant, but I know it's based only on sentimental reasons, nothing logical.

Another thing is I hate patriotism; I find allegiance to one's area to be demeaning and irrational. However, I live in London and I cannot bear to listen to one of my British friends and colleagues say something negative about Ireland or even its government. I immediately defend it. I even defended the IRA on occasion, a movement I have no time for at all. I know they are making rational points, I just can't seem to help it!

What about you? Is there anything that you think or believe, even though you know it's ultimately false and you shouldn't think that way?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Meat, any meat, is delicious.

Probably the stupid things I think are things I don't know are stupid, if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I'm clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

In before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

everything in the olden days was black and white. everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

In before...

You're invisible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

later10 wrote: »

Another thing is I hate patriotism; I find allegiance to one's area to be demeaning and irrational. However, I live in London and I cannot bear to listen to one of my British friends and colleagues say something negative about Ireland or even its government. I immediately defend it. I even defended the IRA on occasion, a movement I have no time for at all. I know they are making rational points, I just can't seem to help it!

I have a tendency to do this too at times. I was born in the U.K., but my entire family is Irish and I was raised here, and I believe it's time for a lot of us to move on from the mistakes and things that happened in the past.

But now and then, I'll see someone make a comment about events in the North or during the Civil War and be ready to go for the throat.
    Even in events where it's been an obvious troll attempt I've gone mad, I recently had someone say to me on a gaming forum "The Irish people export terrorism and murder children for decades, they're still as bad now."

Major rage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

When I was younger and up until quite recently I was quite against gay marriage however I decided to read into it and some of the implications of not having gay marriage. I came to the realization that being against gay marriage made no sense and made me hypocritical to some of my other viewpoints and I now support it and have adopted and live and let live approach on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think eating herbivores is fine but there's something about eating other meat eaters that seems wrong.

Irrational?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

That if I touch wood the bad thing will never happen ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I think eating herbivores is fine but there's something about eating other meat eaters that seems wrong.

Irrational?

Mrs Doyle: Are you looking forward to your lunch tomorrow, Father?
    Ted: Hmmm? I suppose so.
    Mrs Doyle: You do like pheasant, don't you Father?
    Ted: Pheasant? I love pheasant.
    Mrs Doyle: Well there's a little clue. The thing you'll be eating likes pheasant as well.

Lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I had a debate with my Dad this morning about horse meat. He was in France and he ordered it. I criticized him, but I had no logical reason to do so any more than criticizing him for eating beef. I still think eating horse meat is morally repugnant, but I know it's based only on sentimental reasons, nothing logical.

What about you? Is there anything that you think or believe, even though you know it's ultimately false and you shouldn't think that way?

If you've invested in anything you'll defend it. You're emotionally invested in horses and Ireland so the natural human reaction is to defend it.

Btw I find when foreigners criticise Ireland, their opinions are often uninformed and simplistic and taken from whatever paper they read that morning. I find that most annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

If you've invested in anything you'll defend it. You're emotionally invested in horses and Ireland so the natural human reaction is to defend it.

Btw I find when foreigners criticise Ireland, their opinions are often uninformed and simplistic and taken from whatever paper they read that morning. I find that most annoying.

As opposed to when the Irish criticise the UK, the US and many other countries on this board.

Man up, it works both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's like an attack on your identity somehow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

If you've invested in anything you'll defend it. You're emotionally invested in horses and Ireland so the natural human reaction is to defend it. ...
    +1 and that emotional investment is a big part of our humanity.
    ... Btw I find when foreigners criticise Ireland, their opinions are often uninformed and simplistic and taken from whatever paper they read that morning. I find that most annoying.
    I find the same thing on boards.ie a lot and I too attribute the views held to the editorial stances taken by newspapers like ... well you can probably guess where I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

summerskin wrote: »
    As opposed to when the Irish criticise the UK, the US and many other countries on this board.

Man up, it works both ways.

Indeed, many lazy generalisations about the Greeks, French etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

A woman may one day decide to stick me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I was getting the train to work a couple of weeks ago and they announced a delay. There was a hubbub of complaints, "Feck sake, typical", "Yeh, always at it", "You're right, hey haven't a clue" etc. All very neighbourly agreement, until an English accent joined in. Nobody wanted to agree, when all he'd said was the same as anyone else. It silenced the complaints instantly. Terrible really, poor fella.

I'm glad things are improving between the nations, but it'll be a long time before we really walk the walk, stupid and all as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Just changed the title to false; stupid is a bit strong maybe.

I agree with oppenheimer, I think most known-to-be-false opinions are probably based on emotion.

By the way, I think Richard Dawkins is working on a book on atheists in the religious clergies. I generally don't think a lot of his work, but that could be fascinating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It's like an attack on your identity somehow.
    It's an attack on your ego, your ego reacts and defends itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The ego is just the structure of the psyche, so I'm not sure that's any different to calling it an attack on one's identity.

Unless you mean one's self importance, which I don't think I could agree with (even if I know I'm wrong:pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

That if I touch wood the bad thing will never happen ...

Ye can touch my wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

That I am a typical Taurus with typical Taurus traits. I've also read the astrological compatability likelihood between myself and all my exes and current fella. It's idiotic and deep down I know it.

I salute Magpies and get tense if I don't.

I used to be patriotic but that's died down a huge amount in the last year. I'd tell anyone with a pair of ears I was from Ireland as if that somehow made me special. I knew I was grasping at straws with that one. That feeling has almost completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I honestly don't think I hold any opinion or idea which has been shown to be false..

except that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The best thing to do when someone voices an opinion on which they know nothing about or are wrong is to lead them on until they realize the ridiculousness of their position. It usually shuts them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    That I am a typical Taurus with typical Taurus traits. I've also read the astrological compatability likelihood between myself and all my exes and current fella. It's idiotic and deep down I know it.

I salute Magpies and get tense if I don't.

I used to be patriotic but that's died down a huge amount in the last year. I'd tell anyone with a pair of ears I was from Ireland as if that somehow made me special. I knew I was grasping at straws with that one. That feeling has almost completely gone.

Same, I make myself be ridiculously superstitious at times, I blame boredom and trying to make the world a little more colourful.

I particularly have this stupid belief that if there are no cars I can see on the road and I don't indicate, then none will appear (especially when turning right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Chestnuts are lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

In before...
    By the way, I think Richard Dawkins is working on a book on atheists in the religious clergies. I generally don't think a lot of his work, but that could be fascinating.
    meh, close enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I dont like throwing out religious things or burning them. Only Catholic stuff though. I'd burn a koran in a minute.

Advertisement