Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately need sun=Costa Del Sol

Options
  • 06-01-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

My wife and I are considering living in Spain for 3 months. We also have a 1yo daughter and a dog. I'm a busy personal trainer here at home and would be looking for expat clients over there. If it went well we would more than likely move there for a year or two....or more.

I've just started looking into the whole thing so if anyone knows a good expat website or forums or if anyone hpppens to know anything about personal training abroad or in Spain I'd love to find out more from you.

Why not eh...

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

If you want to do it legally, setting up a business in Spain as a sole trader (autonimo) is a PITA and expensive. It will give you access to their very good healthcare and childcare and you can transfer your social security back to Ireland when/if you move back.

The issues I see with your plans though are about your market and the place. Costa del Sol is an expat retirement area so it won't exactly be crossfit but more making sure pensioners stop with a lot of sangria and get 10000 steps .The younger ones that head out for the summer are happy enough with their main exercise being drinking some beers and dancing the night away high on MDMA.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I would say do your research before you head down there - I lived there for years and while there is a significant expat community I wouldn't recommend any business idea targeted exclusively at them without first doing a lot of research into the size of that particular market.

I would also strongly encourage you to try and learn the language and integrate with Spanish society if you do move, because the food, music and culture in Spain are fantastic and absolutely worth the effort. Aside from anything else, the bureaucratic overhead you'll be dealing with is non-trivial, and can be quite daunting if you don't know the country, the culture or the language.

There will almost certainly be plenty of websites and message boards out there with advice for prospective expats on the Costa del Sol - I've read through a few posts on Spain Expat and it seems like it wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Advertisement