Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork

Options
  • 25-12-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi !
    I know this section is for people who want to go out of Ireland, I hope it's ok :D

About me :
    I'm a young (22) belgian developer who is thinking about moving to Cork ! My english isn't perfect, but i'm really motivated to improve it, and I know it won't take too long .
    I am in a couple, and we would like to immigrate in an english country . My boyfriend is going soon to New Zealand (for an internship, during 3 months). I really don't want to stay in Brussels during this period, and my weak experience (6 months) won't help me finding a job in New Zealand . I felt really "depressed" because of this situtation, and then I made a little trip in Dublin last weak, and I felt myself so well that I want to live in Ireland (and work there) for a while (or forever, who knows :) ).

I'm posting a thread here because I'd like some advice about moving to Ireland, and especially to Cork :
    As you read above, I only went to Dublin (the flights to Cork are really expensive, and if I plan to move I have to keep my money), how is the atmosphere there ? I'm afraid about two things : wheater and traffic jam . Also, will it be possible/easy for me to find a Job in Cork ? Dublin seems to be much easier, but I think it's too crowded for me :)

Do you have any tips for me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Cork is a much more friendly place to live and the city is smaller and easier to get around. Much better atmosphere for spending an afternoon walking around and going for a beer.
    Much cheaper accommodation than Dublin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

What do you work at OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Linkstr

What do you work at OP?
    What"OP" means ? ^^

Linkstr wrote: »
    What"OP" means ? ^^

Original Poster. i.e you :-)

jimba wrote: »
    Cork is a much more friendly place to live and the city is smaller and easier to get around. Much better atmosphere for spending an afternoon walking around and going for a beer.
    Much cheaper accommodation than Dublin too.

Ok ok nice to know :D And is it easy to find a place to park my car ? This question seems stupid but I have to walk around 5 or 10 minutes every single day just to find my car here in Brussels :p

• Advertisement

Original Poster. i.e you :-)

ah ok ahah :) I am a junior java developer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The weather here is rubbish and traffic depends on where you live/work.

Cork has a lot of multinational companies who look for language skills eg Apple, Voxpro, Amazon etc. It would be call centre work mostly which doesn't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Lots of IT companies too.

Don't know much about who's hiring in that line in the city but there are a few multinational in the area.

Cork can get quite hectic as regards traffic at times depends on your work hours and location. Rent won't be as expensive as Dublin but that doesn't mean it's cheap. If you were in a houseshare it might work out better and easier developing a social circle and less expensive rent-wise.. Big range in quality of rentals so definitely best viewing beforehand. I'm sure any potential employer would have a few ideas.

Plenty of clubs and sports facilities if you were that way inclined. Weather..... raining here for the last 6 weeks or more but the summer months can get to mid 20s Celsius. I've worked in Belgium and would say climates are similar where Belgium would have wider temperature ranges.

Ok ok thanks a lot for your help :) Can't wait to send some CV :D I'm thinking about Cork because it's the second biggest city of Ireland, but I see a lot of offers for Limerick (and Galway but seems too hard to find a job in biology for my boyfriend). Would Limerick be as nice as Cork ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jimba

Ok ok thanks a lot for your help :) Can't wait to send some CV :D I'm thinking about Cork because it's the second biggest city of Ireland, but I see a lot of offers for Limerick (and Galway but seems too hard to find a job in biology for my boyfriend). Would Limerick be as nice as Cork ? :D

No.

It all depends on what you're looking for in a city. Limerick has plenty of attributes, I've just never lived there, and have worked there. Always commuted from Cork so biased here:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Dublin would be the place to be except for the fact the cost of living is far more than that of the regional towns and cities ... I wouldn't live in Cork personally long term but it would be nice for a few years.... a pro tip would be to learn how to talk like a cork person, as even I who's lived here all my life, still cannot understand what they are saying half the time

Advertisement