Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking - Kildare Street, Dublin 2

• 27-10-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭

Hey

I have to go to Royal College of Physician in Dublin 2 and looking for car parking for upto 4-5 hours.

Anyone can please guide me where would be nearest place to park and not very expensive?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Reality check: the car parks in the vicinity of Molesworth St. and Kildare St. wouldn't be full most days if there was a 'not very expensive' alternative.

Ask the place you're visiting, if they have no suggestions then your best bet would be the multi-story car park in Schoolhouse Lane. Driving up Kildare St, it's the first right after Molesworth St. and the car park is down there on the left.

Onstreet parking in the city centre (yellow zone) is €2.90 per hour and if you overstay you'll almost certainly be clamped. Schoolhouse Lane (officially called Q-Park Dawson St.) is €3 per hour so probably a better bet if you can't exactly predict how long you'll be parked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,242 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

On street parking in that area is very hard to come by and available for 3 hours blocks only so it's not an option. You could try and park in the St. Stephen's Green/RCSI car park for the day; it's a little bigger than Dawson Street and far cheaper than the Setanta Centre.

One other thing to consider is the College Green Bus Lane. This is rigorously policed daily and may well mean a huge detour for you if it's on your old route.

If I were you, I'd consider public transport if at all possible as it may work out cheaper and a safer option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If I were you, I'd consider public transport if at all possible as it may work out cheaper and a safer option.
    Agreed. Dawson Street is down to one lane and the queue starts on Leeson Street.

The west end of Molesworth Street is closed for November: https://www.luascrosscity.ie/news/luas-cross-city-molesworth-street-closure/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Where are you coming from?

Consider the Luas P+R at the Red Cow and walk up from Abbey St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I will be coming from Kilkenny. Most lileky on 11 November.

I thought of Luas P+R but it would take about 45 min extra overall.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    Where are you coming from?

Consider the Luas P+R at the Red Cow and walk up from Abbey St.

• Advertisement

Which street is RCSI car park please?

Sorry I am not familiar with Dublin area.

I was thinking of parking at Dawson street, and pay €12.00 / 4 hours. Does it get all full early morning?
    On street parking in that area is very hard to come by and available for 3 hours blocks only so it's not an option. You could try and park in the St. Stephen's Green/RCSI car park for the day; it's a little bigger than Dawson Street and far cheaper than the Setanta Centre.

One other thing to consider is the College Green Bus Lane. This is rigorously policed daily and may well mean a huge detour for you if it's on your old route.

I was thinking of parking at Dawson street, and pay €12.00 / 4 hours. Does it get all full early morning?

I wouldn't say so, I parked there at about 12 noon on a Tuesday a few weeks ago and had to drive up several floors to get a parking spot, I'd say it would be a bit less full earlier in the day.

Take note that the car park is not actually in Dawson St, the only way you can get to it is from Kildare St., it's in Schoolhouse Lane which is a one-way street running from Kildare St. to Molesworth St.

RSCI is just off Stephens Green, you access it from St Stephens Green West, near the top of Grafton St.

Most of the southside car parks are featured here with hourly rates and maps ....

http://www.q-park.ie/language/en-us/parking-with-q-park/our-parking-facilities/city/dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,242 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I will be coming from Kilkenny. Most lileky on 11 November.

I thought of Luas P+R but it would take about 45 min extra overall.

Longer as the walk from Abbey Street Luas is about 15 minutes.

The RSCI is St. Stephen's Green Centre car park. They have a daily rate available and it is big so you should get space; it is a little bit tricky to get into as it's entered down a few side streets that confuses even locals.

The train from Kilkenny is currently €26 return. You can get the 145 bus from Heuston directly to Kildare Street; you are looking at about €30 all in so it's pretty handy as trips go.

Thanks,

I will park at Q-Park St Stephens Green. They have flat rate for online booking :) What would be the exact address for google maps to reach this car park please?

Prebook Online Day Parking (9am - 6pm) €12.50 24 Hour Parking €16

coylemj wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so, I parked there at about 12 noon on a Tuesday a few weeks ago and had to drive up several floors to get a parking spot, I'd say it would be a bit less full earlier in the day.

Take note that the car park is not actually in Dawson St, the only way you can get to it is from Kildare St., it's in Schoolhouse Lane which is a one-way street running from Kildare St. to Molesworth St.

RSCI is just off Stephens Green, you access it from St Stephens Green West, near the top of Grafton St.

Most of the southside car parks are featured here with hourly rates and maps ....

http://www.q-park.ie/language/en-us/parking-with-q-park/our-parking-facilities/city/dublin

Unless you're coming from the southside of Dublin, I'd not go to the RCSI car park, PITA to get in and out of, especially if you don't know the roads when exiting. The address and a Google Maps showing the location are on that Q-Park link I posted earlier.

It's clearly marked on Google Maps on the west side of Stephens Green, do a route from Kilkenny and see what crazy circuit it sends you on to get there.

• Advertisement

Thanks, i got the exact location now, its on 2 York St, Dublin.

according to google maps it shows 1 hr 32 min. its via Crumlin.

Thanks everyone for helping find a good location to park :)

Unless you're coming from the southside of Dublin, I'd not go to the RCSI car park, PITA to get in and out of, especially if you don't know the roads when exiting. The address and a Google Maps showing the location are on that Q-Park link I posted earlier.

It's clearly marked on Google Maps on the west side of Stephens Green, do a route from Kilkenny and see what crazy circuit it sends you on to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Have to disagree - it is clearly marked but it is not accurately marked on that map!
    ...Thanks, i got the exact location now, its on 2 York St, Dublin....Thanks everyone for helping find a good location to park :)

Have to disagree again - the entrance is NOT on/at 2 York Street.

As far as I know "QPark Stephens Green" is the combined Stephens Green Shopping Centre and RCSI car park. The vehicle entrance to RCSI is in Glover Alley and the entrance to Stephens Green car park is at the corner of Glovers Alley and Mercers Street Lower.
    And yes getting in to or out of either carpark is not intuitive - they are accessed by many one way streets!
    You can get there by entering Stephens Green West from either Harcourt Street or by turning left from Cuffe Street, turn left off Stephens Green West onto York Street, at the traffic lights turn right into Mercer Street Lower and entrances will be on the right.
    Another route is to turn (left or right) off Aungier Street into York Street, at traffic lights turn left onto Mercer Street Lower and entrances are on right.
    Another route is heading South on South Great Gorges Street turn left at Stephen Street Lower and follow the road which bends to the right - the entrance will be on your left.
    Final approach is from heading North on Stephens Green East which can be accessed via Hume Street or Lower Leeson Street. Turn left onto Stephens Green North and then left again onto Stephens Green West, turn right into Glovers Alley which runs along the North side of RCSI. Follow the Alley through a right then left dogleg and RCSI carpark will be on your left - Stephens Green carpark on your right!

Hope this helps!

Thanks GrumpyMe

I will follow the Mercer street lower path. Route is clear now :)

Hi again,

I went to Stephens Greens car park this week and it took about 15 minutes to reach Kildare street by walk.

I have to go there again next week. So this time i booked online and in the confirmation email it says:

"The Stephens Green and Royal College of Surgeons car parks operate as one car park. Both car parks can be accessed from Mercer Street, and the Royal College of Surgeons can also be accessed from Glover's Alley.
    The customer service desk is located beside the entry/exit area of the Royal College of Surgeon's car park. For your convenience, you may wish to park your car close to the customer service area."

Can you please show me on google maps where is this glover's alley entrance as i am unable to find it on googlemaps?
    I used Mercer street entrance last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I went to Stephens Greens car park this week and it took about 15 minutes to reach Kildare street by walk.

That doesn't sound right. Have you considered parking in Dawson St. (actually Schoolhouse Lane, opp. Leinster House) which is 2 minutes away?
    Can you please show me on google maps where is this glover's alley entrance as i am unable to find it on googlemaps?
    I used Mercer street entrance last time.

In order to get to Glover's Alley from Kilkenny where you are coming from, you would have to do an anti-clockwise circuit of St. Stephens Green and after passing by the top of Grafton St. and driving into St Stephens Green West, you would take a mandatory right turn at this location by the College of Surgeons. That takes you into Glover's Alley which as you say is badly (i.e. not) indicated by Google Maps.

http://goo.gl/maps/9Wcni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That doesn't sound right. Have you considered parking in Dawson St. (actually Schoolhouse Lane, opp. Leinster House) which is 2 minutes away?

In order to get to Glover's Alley from Kilkenny where you are coming from, you would have to do an anti-clockwise circuit of St. Stephens Green and after passing by the top of Grafton St. and driving into St Stephens Green West, you would take a mandatory right turn at this location by the College of Surgeons. That takes you into Glover's Alley which as you say is badly (i.e. not) indicated by Google Maps.

http://goo.gl/maps/9Wcni

What the Q-Park website refers to as Glover's Alley is actually accessable from York St.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3390903,-6.2635362,3a,75y,351.92h,78.56t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4XEjxeXQTadgpRkZ2iOiTA!2e0

The gate in the image has now been replaced with a second entrance to the RCSI car park.

This can be accessed without the hassle of looping around the Green

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kilkenny,+Ireland/19+York+St,+Dublin,+Ireland/@53.3381697,-6.2638931,17z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x485d30a13423c5ab:0xa00c7a9973173c0!2m2!1d-7.2447879!2d52.6541454!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670e9e89c7f1df:0x1f07babf65e11e84!2m2!1d-6.2631846!2d53.3390136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Advertisement