Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody explain the Leaving Cert in simple words?

Options
  • 13-06-2014 10:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

I am a foreigner and I need to familiarize with the hole leavingcert system thing. Can you explain it to me as if I was 4 years old? Well... maybe not so young. And what is that about the grinds? Is there qualify teachers or any one can do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

The Leaving Cert is the set of exams you do at the end of secondary school. It's mandatory to do English, Irish, and Maths (although you'll probably be able to get an exemption from Irish depending on when you came to Ireland), and most people do 4-5 other subjects. The point of the Leaving is generally to get a college course; you apply to courses through the CAO (Central Applications Office) and they convert your Leaving Cert results into points so that they can compare students. An A1 (the best grade possible) is 100 points, an A2 is 90, and so on.

Only your 6 best subjects are counted for the CAO, so that's why it's inadvisable to do more than 7 or 8 subjects, because you're reducing the amount of time you can spend on each by spreading your efforts over more. You can sit each paper at Higher or Ordinary level (or Foundation for English, Irish, and Maths). Higher is significantly more difficult, but worth more points.

Another important thing to note is that they recently introduced a system whereby if you count Maths as one of your six best subjects, you get 25 extra points. This has caused some controversy, as it means that you can get a place on a course that has nothing to do with Maths just based on your performance in Maths. This also means that while traditionally the maximum number of points you could obtain was 600, it is now 625.

Grinds are tutoring sessions, generally one-on-one, although bigger class sizes aren't uncommon. Anyone can give grinds, as they have nothing to do with the Department of Education, but my advice would be to at least get someone who's doing a degree related to that subject. It's also fairly common for teachers to give grinds as well as their regular teaching job - this option would be the best, I think, as someone who teaches the subject will be more familiar with the exam structure and how to maximise your marks.

Just in conclusion, the Leaving Cert is an incredibly stressful thing to go through, but it's by no means unmanageable so long as you work consistently throughout the year. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Ursula Cisa

Thank you so much for your explanation. What about paper to practice? witch ones are good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Just adding to what was said above: the LC is not mandatory, as compulsory schooling ends in Ireland after three years of secondary education. Slightly over ninety percent of children continue to the LC, though.

There is ambiguity as to what subjects are mandatory: it actually seems to be the case that only Irish is. However, most schools insist that students sit English and Maths as well, and many will also insist on a Foreign Language.

Entrance to university requires a Pass in the three core subjects, and sometimes in a FL as well. The average score is about 330 points, and the top ten-percent score above five-hundred. Something of note is that each subject receives the same weighting when applying to university: an A1 in English receives the same as an A1 in Art, regardless of to what course one is applying.

The core subjects are examined by two papers, whereas the rest are by only one; Irish and Foreign Languages are partly graded on performance in an interview with an examiner - "The Oral" - and by a listening test; several other subjects also have non-exam components: Geography has a written project, History has a research essay, Music has performance practical, etc.

Advertisement