Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Tenements

• 20-01-2011 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

What would it be like to live in one of them for a day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

After Fianna Fail sold us all out to pay off foreign billionaires that their developer and banker pals owe mountains of money to, I suspect we're all about to find out, and for a lot longer than a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It was Fianna Fail who did a huge amount of work to clear them and start many social housing projects. A lot of these houses are still around, better built then the houses slapped up in the last decade

Different party back then

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

It was Fianna Fail who did a huge amount of work to clear them and many huge social housing projects. A lot of these houses are still around, better built then the houses slapped up in the last decade

Appreciate the political stance on social housing and all but I'm thinking more along the lines of the actual habitat and what it's like to experience living in one. I haven't watched many documentaries or read any books relating to it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I suppose it'd be like living in the Dublin forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

It was Fianna Fail who did a huge amount of work to clear them and start many social housing projects. A lot of these houses are still around, better built then the houses slapped up in the last decade

Were they fúck.
    I suggest you read this book, by Gay Byrne's old producer at RTE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_of_Morning
    It's effectively a novelisation of the stunts he saw Fianna Fail up to in the late Sixties in cahoots with property developers, throwing people out of tenaments and onto the street to make way for their pals' profits.
    This isn't the first time they've driven this country into the ground to line their pockets. Let's hope it's the last, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't know what happened in the 1960's, I know more about the 1930's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

In fairness, the tenements of the 19th century to the early-mid 20th century in Dublin were the worst in Europe.

The cholera, dysentry, tb and god knows what else disease were rampant in the Dublin inner city, you cannot compare our standard of living today with the rat and disease infested overcrowded slums of that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What would it be like to live in one of them for a day?

Pretty shitty I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

Einhard wrote: »
    Pretty sh**ty I'd imagine.

No Sh*t!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ffs, the mere mention of the word dublin has the country brigade jumping up with the usual 'dublin forum is that way' crap

im sure cork, limerick, galway and other larger cities had tenements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

ffs, the mere mention of the word dublin has the country brigade jumping up with the usual 'dublin forum is that way' crap

im sure cork, limerick, galway and other larger cities had tenements

Yeah, but not as bad, rat infested,disease infested and low mortality shocking rates as Dublin... so there!

But yes, Admiral, you are so right, this thread wont be long being sent it's way (by ferociously outraged and offended culshies) to the bowels of the unread Dublin forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Darlughda wrote: »
    Yeah, but not as bad, rat infested,disease infested and low mortality shocking rates as Dublin... so there!

But yes, Admiral, you are so right, this thread wont be long being sent it's way (by ferociously outraged and offended culshies) to the bowels of the unread Dublin forum.

i didnt know this thread was a competition to see which city had the worst tenements

i didnt know this thread was a competition to see which city had the worst tenements

well, I am talking about history

Maybe the OP means history will repeat itself??

Advertisement