Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to US Colleges

Options
  • 06-02-2016 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone would have any experience in application procedures for undergrad degrees in the US? I'm just looking for some advice in how much time I should take to prepare for my application in advance and just general tips too :)

I'm interested in doing medicine or medical-related degree there and I know there are a lot of exams (Such as the SATS, MCAT ETC) required for different unis. But I'm keeping Ireland as an option too.

Also, what are the chances of someone doing the Leaving in getting in a uni there? (I know competition is really high).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Just so you know, in the US you need a bachelor's degree prior to applying for Medical School. Which means you need to go to college first for about 3/4 years to get a degree before you can even apply to medical school (with the MCAT). Medical school will then last 5 years. In Ireland (and all of Europe) you can apply straight into a Medical degree which will last 5 years (maybe 6) without the need for a bachelor's degree. So from that point of view it would take a lot more time to do a medical degree in the US. Furthermore, it costs a significant amount more. I'm not just talking about a couple of grand more, I mean many thousands more. Medical students in the US are left with piles of loans and unpaid debts - it's significantly cheaper here in Ireland (if you're an EU citizen or not).

However, if you're serious about it you should know that they probably won't take your Leaving Cert results into much account. They'll look for your SAT (or ACT) and about two Subject Tests in SATs (regardless of whether or not you do them for the Leaving Cert). You also have to send a high school transcript (basically a copy of your grades throughout your entire high school career). Also they take your extra-curriculars into account, meaning you should come across as a very well-rounded person. It's all very time consuming and difficult really.

Here's some information from the US Embassy: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/education/general-information.html

Advertisement