Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointed with maths 5th year results, advice please.

Options
  • 13-06-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So about a week ago I got my 5th year summer test results and I was gutted to have scrapped a c3 in hl maths. I got as and bs all year and I studied so hard for it. Like I started revision at easter and did all the examples of the topics we had covered. I got help with anything I couldn't do........I did the most work for maths and it was by far my worst result. My maths teacher has told us that.next year will be a lot harder as we will be covering much more challenging topics and if I'm only at a c3 now does that mean I could fail maths in the lc? Should I just drop to pass?????? I dont really want to devote am awful lot of time to this subject and barely pass it. Btw the paper wasn't that hard I thought I had gotten an a or a b in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So about a week ago I got my 5th year summer test results and I was gutted to have scrapped a c3 in hl maths. I got as and bs all year and I studied so hard for it. Like I started revision at easter and did all the examples of the topics we had covered. I got help with anything I couldn't do........I did the most work for maths and it was by far my worst result. My maths teacher has told us that.next year will be a lot harder as we will be covering much more challenging topics and if I'm only at a c3 now does that mean I could fail maths in the lc? Should I just drop to pass?????? I dont really want to devote am awful lot of time to this subject and barely pass it. Btw the paper wasn't that hard I thought I had gotten an a or a b in it.

Well give it a good shot til december, then think about deciding to stay in honours or not.
    But the reality is that the vast majority of people who do honours maths are just barely scraping a pass even though they work harder at it than any other subject. Personally I feel its not worth it, unless theres a course you want to do that requires it. But yeah even if you work very hard youll probably be down around the c3 mark I dropped after christmas last year and dont regret it it let me focus on my other subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hello 1996

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Well give it a good shot til december, then think about deciding to stay in honours or not.
    But the reality is that the vast majority of people who do honours maths are just barely scraping a pass even though they work harder at it than any other subject. Personally I feel its not worth it, unless theres a course you want to do that requires it. But yeah even if you work very hard youll probably be down around the c3 mark I dropped after christmas last year and dont regret it it let me focus on my other subjects

Hey :) I havent got my summer report but what grade would you think is necessary to stay in honours? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Hello 1996 wrote: »
    Hey :) I havent got my summer report but what grade would you think is necessary to stay in honours? :)

A D3 to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ELynch96

I'd say I only passed 4 exams in fifth year in maths and I took higher level I'm quite sure I passed in the leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

You'll be fine stay I got 41 in my summers and 49 in mocks and that paper was hard. Now I'll be happy with like a D1 in August maybe you might want to do better I dont know. But what I would say is if you can pass it which you have stick it out its a great subject for those extra points. You got 85 points from that C thats loads ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

You'll be fine, you said you got As and Bs all year and did poor enough in one test. It's not the end of the world.

Stick with honours.

Advertisement