Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The truth is finally out. Myers is Mad.

• 20-01-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭

wrote:
    Ricky Gervais's 'The Office' was an unbroken sneer at the pretensions and the ambitions of its hero, played by Gervais himself. The sado-masochistic monotone was quite wearying and toxic -- which was why the American version, starring Steve Carell, was much more upbeat. Not merely was the writing much better, but the characterisation was subtler and more appealing to the American psyche. For Americans admire success: and unless one tries, one can never succeed. To sneer at the constant trier is to worship endlessly at the altar of failure.

I have to admit, and it aint easy, that Myers occasionally showed flickers on coherency on occasion, forcing me to consider the possibility that he was possibly sane.

thankfully such considerations have now evaporated. completely.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/kevin-myers-theres-a-simple-rule-of-civility-and-decency-that-a-sneerer-like-gervais-will-never-understand-2501761.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Where's the 'way over my head' emoticon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think Myers is over analysing it a tad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Maybe it's late and I'm tired but does that article shoot off into a cliff's notes summary of the US civil war for no apparent reason? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

He's dead right.

*Not really. But there always has to be at least one of these posts on the first page of any thread about Myers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

bonerm wrote: »
    Maybe it's late and I'm tired but does that article shoot off into a cliff's notes summary of the US civil war for no apparent reason? :confused:
    of course.

it's Myers after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

"The most insignificant president in US history"

Myers has obviously never heard of Polk, or Grover Cleveland or that arsehole who lasted about 30 days sometime way back when. Myers is a mouth and gets paid to open it wider....FOOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Ha! Kevin Myers is complaining about something being 'quite wearying and toxic'. I can't think of anything that more aptly describes his unmistakeable brand of pompous, self satisfied and consistently offensive articles.

That said I do enjoy watching him ruffle feathers. He's ruffled feathers I never knew I had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgpCwlcCxU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

squod wrote: »
    Where's the 'way over my head' emoticon?

As it's Myers, you only need the 'pseudo-intellectual talking through his ass' one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Myers has obviously never heard of Polk, or Grover Cleveland or that arsehole who lasted about 30 days sometime way back when. Myers is a mouth and gets paid to open it wider....FOOL!

Ummm, hate to point it out, but he doesn't actually state that Ford was insignificant. The word he used was "inconspicuous". Bit of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

William Henry Harrison. Come on, everyone's seen that episode of The Simpsons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

what the F*ck are you on about???

em, perhaps the bigger issue is suggesting that the american office is better written than the original.

the man is so far out of touch, he's Helen Keller.

the american character was 'more appealing'

does the man understand what's he actually saying, or is he suffering from some neurological disorder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I prefer the American Office too - but they're not really comparable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I agree with him to an extent.
    I don't find Gervais funny. I get his jokes, but they do not amuse me.

Humour is subjective.
    Quite a lot of people see South Park as nothing but dick and fart jokes. I've found that the same people think that Ricky Gervais is the new king of comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I did chuckle at his suggestion a few days ago that "most people in the world have never even heard of Ireland" or something, lulz

heres the article, try not to read it while near heavy machinery, you might fall in from laughing:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/what-great-talent-would-the-world-lose-today-if-ireland-were-washed-away-without-trace-2494321.html
    Most people in the world have never heard of Ireland, and many of those who have are unsure of the difference between us and Scotland, or whether we are part of Britain. We are neither blessed with a unique genius, nor with a unique depravity. However, we are afflicted with an unusual, and -- especially for foreign ambassadors here -- an irritating tendency to exaggerate our own importance. In reality, what Portlaoise is to Ireland, we are to Europe: and what Bohola is to Berlin, we are to the world.

Oh jebus save us.

the character is SUPPOSED to be unappealing FFS!!!!

Dudess wrote: »
    I prefer the American Office too - but they're not really comparable...
    that's it.

it's over between us dudess.

over.

oh, wait the comparable bit - yeah that might let you off the hook a little...

Who's Meyrs?

Isn't he just some troll that uses a paper column instead of posting his trolling on itne internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Horses for courses I think. I could never enjoy Gervais' humour, while Myers is funny more often than not. He has gone into 'potboiler' mode big time since he left the IT though, I think his best days are in the past, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

David Brent is oft-misunderstood:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Never thought the UK Office was worth the hype;that being said,Extras was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I honestly don't give two flying f*ck's what Kevin Myers thinks about Ricky Gervais.

He should stick to saying we should be allowed shoot anyone who comes 2 inches over our threshold or the fact that all unmarried mothers are money-grubbing bitches with b*stard children or that the our state was founded by terrorists or that...... blah blah blah blah blah........... *snore*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

ah, nothing like the clarity of madness...at least it was'nt as nuts as his article on a house mouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Think we've had enough threads about this tit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's as valid an opinion as the Ricky is a comedy God ones, tbh. His comedy is all about sneering, gets very tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

He's clearly been unstable since 'The Love Guru' came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I thought you meant Michael Myers from the Halloween films when I read the title.

Advertisement