Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Magee wrecks my head

• 04-10-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

Listening to him on premier soccer saturday. Hes brutal at the commentary imo. The man should give it up.
    His voice goes through me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Memory Man is a living legend imo.
    Maybe you are too young to remember Know Your Sport on RTE. Or maybe I'm too old :(

Name a sport and he has knowledge in it. He can commenate on track and field athletics, soccer, boxing and many other sports.

Legend! That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Amen to that OP. The guy should have been quietly shipped off to women's golf ten years ago. The most boring oul git I've ever been subjected to. RTE are too nostalgic for their own good.

No doubt there will be fans of his on to defend him but let's call a spade a spade here. His time is well and truly up. Good night and good luck Jimmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Couldn't disagree with the above two posters more.
    And I won't be the only poster here that respects and admires Jimmy Magee

I'm all for respect and admiration. Doesn't mean he's not past it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I have respect for the man, and his knowledge etc etc. But, there comes a time when its time to pass the book to someone else. He is well past it at this stage in his career.
    So he can commentate on lots od fifferent sports, so can the man on eurosport!! doesnt mean they're any good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Glad I'm not watching, he's awful and has been for a while. There must be somone else who can watch a match edit on a monitor.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

micmclo wrote: »
    The Memory Man is a living legend imo.
    Maybe you are too young to remember Know Your Sport on RTE. Or maybe I'm too old :(

Name a sport and he has knowledge in it. He can commenate on track and field athletics, soccer, boxing and many other sports.

Legend! That is all

I remember Know your Sport and it was a joke, Ask the memory man a question was a con .They give him a minute to talk about any given year in World Sport and week, in week out Jimmy would say who played in the ALL IRELAND that year and spend the rest of the minute naming one of the teams, Even when asked about years with World Cups or Olympics in them , The same GAA crap would come out to great audience approval.

Man should have been retried years ago,
    This years Olympic boxing with him was a unreal, so hard to take and just made my ears bleed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

To be honest he is attrocious last few years. He simply comes up with the most banal comments consistently that makes me think he is senile

It's like a pet you have that you have loved since childhood but it can longer function and is just in agony. Put him out of his misery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Its about time someone had the guts to say it.

Hearing him trying to pronounce the names of footballers was beyond a joke. Kilbane... Kill-baine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Actually think hes a decent soccer commentator. Remember maradonas goal. Different class, different class, Different Class!! Love it. He knows the score.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

He has a voice made for bogball, and thats where it should stay.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

He's always been useless, this hasn't just suddenly happened. Sure, he knows a huge amount of facts, but his commentary was never great and his voice is one of the most annoying things on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I remember he did the original commentary on Ireland v Italy in Italia '90.
    I was only 13 at the time, biut even then i was calling shenannigans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    I remember Know your Sport and it was a joke, Ask the memory man a question was a con .They give him a minute to talk about any given year in World Sport and week, in week out Jimmy would say who played in the ALL IRELAND that year and spend the rest of the minute naming one of the teams, Even when asked about years with World Cups or Olympics in them , The same GAA crap would come out to great audience approval.
    You are the joke here. I was personally on the show and I spoke at length with him and he has an incredible memory to this day. I met for the first time in 1994 and I met him again for the second and only other time in 2001, I recently listened to him on radio and he still has that knowledge. He said hello to me by my name the second time. With the amount of people he meets its amazing that he remembered my name.
    Credit where its due.
    He might be getting passed it now but I'd imagine he is finished when his current contract runs out.
    I still remember the 1986 World Cup where he came up with the right commentary at the right time during a quiet spell in the game between Belgium and Argentina. Maradona got the ball and he just said Different class, after he stepped around a couple of players he repeated the same two words and Maradona went on to score one of the greatest individual goals ever seen in a World Cup.
    Lastly Jimmy Magee is a gentleman, a legend in his own lifetime and probably the best multi sport commentator as regards knowledge of sports that I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. A great man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

What on earth is that supposed to mean? Never, ever associated the man especially with GAA, which is definitely something in his favour.
    I don't see anyone better being put forward. Who would you suggest?
    BTW, he did a great job on the Olympic boxing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Listening to him on premier soccer saturday.

There's your problem.
    micmclo wrote: »

Cliches are universal mate.

I cannot stand him.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

SectionF wrote: »

I must have been watching different boxing matches, because he was bloody awful. He rambled on about absolutely nothing for the whole of each bout, it was painful to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Jimmy Magee > Everone on Boards.

Zaph wrote: »
    I must have been watching different boxing matches, because he was bloody awful. He rambled on about absolutely nothing for the whole of each bout, it was painful to listen to.
    I watch a lot of boxing and while there are better commentators in professional boxing I thought he did a fine job in the Olympics.
    The only problem he had was not having a co-commentator like almost every other channel has now.

• Advertisement

Jimmy Magee > Everone on Boards.

Wtf has that got to do with anything?

John O'Shea/Dlimi Traore > everyone on Boards. Doesn't mean they don't deserve a slating when it's warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wtf has that got to do with anything?

John O'Shea/Dlimi Traore > everyone on Boards. Doesn't mean they don't deserve a slating when it's warranted.

Jimmy Magee is my hero. I love the sound of his voice. I hope he doesnt read your posts cause it might effect his self esteem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Ardent

Ah, Jimmy's not that bad.

I fondly remember his commentary of the 94' CL final between Milan and Barca, particularly as Desailly was hammering in the last goal: "DESSSSSSS-IIIIIIIIII-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :D

George Hamilton - now there's a muppet who wrecks my head! If he's covering a game I'll switch over straight away to the UK coverage. The guy is so scattered he doesn't know what's going on half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

SectionF wrote: »

My arse. He called JJ Nevin John Joe Joyce at least 3 times in one bout!

Man is a legend nevertheless, another reason to watch Irish sports coverage over UK. Hope he never retires :)

people are actually serious when they say he did a good job for the boxing????

thats it. IM OUTTA HERE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Memory Man!! :eek:

I thought his nickname was Mammary Man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I like him, I know what people think of him and I agree to a certain point... but its great to see him still at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I think Jimmy is alright as a commentator... I was glad to hear him commentating during the European championship during the summer. He's a hell of a lot better than anything ITV has to offer.

He does have a hell of a lot of knowledge of the game. Ok, he's old.. Big deal. Who says you have to be young to be a good commentator? He has had some classic moments down the years with his commentary on some of the biggest games. A lot of people say the same thing about John Motson recently as well. I think he is still a good commentator..

Too many 'Sky Sports Fan Boys' out there it seems...

I hope RTE give Jimmy a new contract...

Too many 'Sky Sports Fan Boys' out there it seems...
    Jimmy wouldn't go down too well in that constituency all right! :D
    Maybe he could have plastic surgery and put on an English accent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Jjustice for Jim! The mans a Legend - upmost respect for him...Darragh Maloney, now theres a dose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

eagle eye wrote: »
    The only problem he had was not having a co-commentator like almost every other channel has now.

Sounded like he had one, himself.

His time is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are the joke here. I was personally on the show and I spoke at length with him and he has an incredible memory to this day. I met for the first time in 1994 and I met him again for the second and only other time in 2001, I recently listened to him on radio and he still has that knowledge. He said hello to me by my name the second time. With the amount of people he meets its amazing that he remembered my name.
    Credit where its due.
    He might be getting passed it now but I'd imagine he is finished when his current contract runs out.
    I still remember the 1986 World Cup where he came up with the right commentary at the right time during a quiet spell in the game between Belgium and Argentina. Maradona got the ball and he just said Different class, after he stepped around a couple of players he repeated the same two words and Maradona went on to score one of the greatest individual goals ever seen in a World Cup.
    Lastly Jimmy Magee is a gentleman, a legend in his own lifetime and probably the best multi sport commentator as regards knowledge of sports that I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. A great man.

Yeah, but he's a sh!t commentator, really ****. He can ruin a match. My heart grows heavy when i hear the words 'your commentator is Jimmy Magee'. Absolutely awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I think Jimmy is a rarity among the many commentators on tv at the minute, in that he is actually knowledgeable about the game. (and many other sports, he’s a wealth of information on the Olympics)
    I would also agree with what Eagle Eye said about him being a gentleman. I met him about 5 years ago and he was one of the most interesting people I have ever talked to. Genuine nice guy.
    Maybe he’s not cool and that’s what pisses people off about him, he does use the ol clichés but he says it as he sees it, which is a nice break from the ****e that Sky Sports and UTV regularly put out.
    And he is quite funny at times as well, whether that is intentional or not, I’m not sure….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Listening to him on premier soccer saturday. Hes brutal at the commentary imo. The man should give it up.
    His voice goes through me.

I totally agree, his commentary on just the Sunderland vs Arsenal highlights (to pick a recent example) was absolutely shocking. I remember specifically saying "Jimmy, you're talking ****e" in the middle of it. I was wondering if he was watching the right match....

No debate on Jimmy Magee should go without this little post. I've taken this from a thread during the summer about commentators in Euro 2008. This little beauty below was posted by Gogglebok

Jimmy Magee maykes the odd mistake, but it doesn't taint the essence of the man. Other pundits commentate on the match. Jimmy commentates on the cosmos, and lets the match unfurl behind him. Yesterday he gave us a little discourse on hot dogs on trays, and how they seem quintessentially American even in a European's hand.

"As we sit there's a fly buzzing out his melodies near the window. The shafts of sunlight falling on its back lend it a shimmering beauty, Mark, that truly belies its reputation as a noisome pest, the carrion crow of the insect world. Houseflies are bigger here than at home, Mark, did you notice that? I wonder is it a matter of nutrition, or is there some Darwinian principle of selection at work."

"Holland have scored, Jimmy."

"So they have, my boy, so they have."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

It is silly comments from what I perceive to be ignorant uneducated individuals like you that mean I show only a passing interest in discussions on the soccer section of boards.
    To use the phrase 'bogball' is bad enough but also if anything commentating on Gaelic games was actually where Jimmy was weakest.
    Gaelic games are fast paced sports and require a different type of commentary.
    Respect this great Irish broadcaster please.
    Remember the John Treacy silver. Remember Maradona, Remember Roche in the tour the France, remember the 1982 World Cup semi-final penalty shoot-out between West Germany and France ' And up steps the man they call the monster...'!!!!
    When the time comes Jimmy will know it!

Tomthepost wrote: »
    It is silly comments from what I perceive to be ignorant uneducated individuals like you that mean I show only a passing interest in discussions on the soccer section of boards.
    To use the phrase 'bogball' is bad enough but also if anything commentating on Gaelic games was actually where Jimmy was weakest.
    Remember the John Treacy silver. Remember Maradona, Remember Roche in the tour the France, remember the 1982 World Cup semi-final penalty shoot-out between West Germany and France ' And up steps the man they call the monster...'!!!!

Everything you mentioned there happened in the 80s. What does that tell you?

295wfu9.gif

Is Jimmy Magee your auld lad or something?

It tells us that Jimmy doesn't know that the time has come..........ages ago!!

295wfu9.gif

Is Jimmy Magee your auld lad or something?

Actually Jimmy's son died a few months back so not a very pleasant thing to say but i would expect that from you anyway.
    Incidentally his son was a League of Ireland soccer player!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    It tells us that Jimmy doesn't know that the time has come..........ages ago!!

Now now.

It tells me two things

1: 20/30 years later he is still doing the gig

2: Not alot of sports broadcasting talent coming through

It tells me two things

1: 20/30 years later he is still doing the gig

2: Not alot of sports broadcasting talent coming through

Funny that cause it tells me he's doing nothing but rabble on for the past 20 years.

I'm gonna stop posting here, otherwise, I reckon i'll say something that will get me a paddlin.

tell me this: lets say, just for the craic that, you didnt know anything about jimmy magee, you knew nothing about what he has done. ok?

now, you turn over the channel to watch a match, and its jimmy magee commentating on it............

ARE YOU ACTUALLY TELLING ME YOU THINK HES GOOD AT IT? AND HIS VOICE DOESNT BUG THE CRAP OUT OF YOU?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

ARE YOU ACTUALLY TELLING ME YOU THINK HES GOOD AT IT? AND HIS VOICE DOESNT BUG THE CRAP OUT OF YOU?

Thats exactly what we're sayin:D

Thats exactly what we're sayin:D

Then you need your ears checked mate.

tell me this: lets say, just for the craic that, you didnt know anything about jimmy magee, you knew nothing about what he has done. ok?

now, you turn over the channel to watch a match, and its jimmy magee commentating on it............

If his voice bugs you tough. Change channel. There are plenty of commentators on sports that bug me but I either change channel or mute it. Its very easy to do.

Theres a lot of very immature comments posted here.
    Its also clear that plenty of people still like Jimmy. I personally think he has become a bit shaky at times over the last two years.

Still its quite clear that a lot of people still like his commentary so tough to all of you who don't.

I agree with another poster a while back, he is much better than George Hamilton. I mute him or change channel when he is commentating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

In fairness, aside from the Olympics, Jimmy has been used very sparingly by RTE in recent times. Rarely does any live games on RTE more likely to do some matches for the highlights show.

Let's try something more useful than this juvenile snigger-fest.
    Can the Jimmy-bashers among us please nominate their choice of Irish commentator. In my view, there are very, very few who are up to snuff.
    Best football commentator by some stretch on this island, I think, is the young(ish) chap who does Setanta Ireland (Irish)* matches.

I know. Weird country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement