Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 rip off of pre-sale tickets

Options
  • 01-02-2005 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

who thinks that paying €30 extra to get pre-sale u2 tickets is a major rip-off?????? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

It depends on how much you like the band. Fair enough, yeah I think it's a huge rip, but some big fans are willing to pay it and you don't wanna be ripped off by much more when it sells out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You're not paying extra to get pre sale tickets, you're paying for premium content on their website. If you are the kind of dedicated fan that wants to pay that kind of money to access that part of their site then here's your payback. If you pay just to get access to the tickets then that's your problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

i think they are a bunch of tools to start with .....and .... if they had any decency they would apply premium content to all users who are willing to give valuable marketing info ..... for gods sake they are loaded .... and anyone who comes back with a point like; "It's probably the record company who are making the money" ..... we'll even worse, as the band have obviously signed away any integrity they ever had ... if any ...... if i was a fan of the band, i'd feel cheated .... you are right in saying they get other info, but you can read that in the papers ..... the fact is, most people will join their little scheme to get preferential tickets ...... so essentially they are paying 30 euros for this alone ....... bloody rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Last week, in either Scotland or England (not sure which) a lot of people had paid up to get pre-sales tickets, and guess what? They didn't get them. The servers went down, and then release came and all the tickets were sold out in however many minutes it was ...

I'll bet they're all pleased little bunnies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, considering I met fans that had paid $5000 for tickets at the Slane gig, it's obviously worth the extra €30 to a lot of people. I'm a fan myself, I'll have a go at getting tickets but I won't be too gutted if I miss it, I caught Popmart, I caught Slane, both were great gigs so I can't really complain if I miss out this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

peepingtom wrote:
    if they had any decency they would apply premium content to all users who are willing to give valuable marketing info

:confused: Valuable marketing info? Are you for real?

If it was available to all users it would just be content, not premium content, no? I have no interest in U2 but if they're offering extras on their website for a fee then good luck to them. If there are people stupid enough to pay the fee purely so they can pre-buy a ticket and ignore the premium content available then they are idiots and, in my opinion, idiots are there to be exploited. More money than sense? :)

Sleepy wrote:
    Well, considering I met fans that had paid $5000 for tickets at the Slane gig, it's obviously worth the extra €30 to a lot of people. I'm a fan myself, I'll have a go at getting tickets but I won't be too gutted if I miss it, I caught Popmart, I caught Slane, both were great gigs so I can't really complain if I miss out this time.

That's complete crap, no one would pay €5000 for a ticket for U2 in Slane no matter how big a fan they were.

peepingtom wrote:
    i think they are a bunch of tools to start with .....and .... if they had any decency they would apply premium content to all users who are willing to give valuable marketing info ..... for gods sake they are loaded .... and anyone who comes back with a point like; "It's probably the record company who are making the money" ..... we'll even worse, as the band have obviously signed away any integrity they ever had ... if any ...... if i was a fan of the band, i'd feel cheated .... you are right in saying they get other info, but you can read that in the papers ..... the fact is, most people will join their little scheme to get preferential tickets ...... so essentially they are paying 30 euros for this alone ....... bloody rip off!

They are business men, what's wrong with offering premium content on their website for a price? Do you expect them to release albums for free too just because they are loaded?

Didn't U2 issue a press release last year criticizing Madonna for the price of her tickets and saying they would never charge more than €60 for a ticket to a concert of theirs in Ireland, or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

How come a ticket for their irish gig is min. 60 euro
    the same ticket for their spanish gig is 25 euro

I wouldnt bother going to a gig anyways, but still feel angry that some fans have to pay such high prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

60 euro is reasonable m8
    The Irish tickets are far cheaper than those in the UK and on the continent.

• Advertisement

tck wrote:
    How come a ticket for their irish gig is min. 60 euro
    the same ticket for their spanish gig is 25 euro

I wouldnt bother going to a gig anyways, but still feel angry that some fans have to pay such high prices!
    Because people will pay it. Why charge less for a ticket that people have no problem paying 60 for. More profit. At the end of the day they are still a sh1t band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

60 euro is reasonable m8
    The Irish tickets are far cheaper than those in the UK and on the continent.

thats complete rubbish ..... an example can be seen with the spanish prices, plus im going to a gig next week in holland ..... 8euros .... the same band in dublin ... 25 euros

Prices and demand is high here because of the media.
    The media,RTE1 ,2fm ,all of the newspapers are in the back pocket of U2.
    They are generating crazy hype for the shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Motley Crue are worse. I went into ticketmaster asking when tickets were on sale & they said they didn't know. So I checked their site regularly, but eventually found out, what they did was sell the tickets on their website as special presale tickets, but sold them all, so if you wanted a ticket, you had to pay $40 for their fanclub (all you get is a T shirt) and an additional $30 presale fee per ticket.

I eventually got tickets for the manchester show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

yeah suppose if you want the tickets badly enough you'll pay anything for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

they'd pay 5000 if they were mega loaded and it included entry to backstage and meeting then band- thats the price of a second hand car for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

There is a third date on the sunday. I've my ticket for each gig :) Well looking forward to each one :)

There is a third date on the sunday. I've my ticket for each gig Well looking forward to each one
    No confirmation of a Sunday concert yet.
    You cant have tickets for Fri and Sat .
    You were only allowed buy tickets for one show in the Presale which lasted 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭v10

I see they are offering refunds for unhappy u2.com subscribers. Surely that shows fair play ?
    Dear ?????

This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have
    to do something to redress this situation.

There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through
    U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but
    some of it wasn't.

I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the
    tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only
    fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now
    U2.com members, priority in the queue.

After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined.
    Many people who joined U2.com and didn't get tickets are
    understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of
    their subscription fee.

The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2
    tickets through our own website is appalling to me. I want to apologise
    to you who have suffered that.

If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope
    this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment
    to our audience.

Slainte
    Larry.

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse
    U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you...

A refund on your U2.Com Subscription - how it works.

If you would like a refund on your U2.Com subscription because you have not
    been able to purchase tickets with your unique code for the Spring and
    Summer legs of Vertigo 2005 Tour, please complete the fields below.

The refund window is open for two weeks from today - February 2nd to
    February 16th.

- I am a U2.Com Subscriber who has not been able to secure tickets for the
    Spring and Summer legs of 'Vertigo 2005'.

- I further agree that I am in compliance in that I have not used my access
    code to purchase tickets.

- I understand that by submitting this form for a refund that I agree to
    have my account privileges, including e-mail, completely disabled.

- I understand that refunds may take as long as 3 weeks to post to my
    credit card.

The U2.Com Team

Please click below for information on a refund.
    http://www.u2.com/refund.php

I have a premium ticket in Croker that I get first priorty to buy them ticket for any other events other then Sport. The letter I got today said there was 3 gigs on.

I can't wait, I'm so looking forward to them :)
    No confirmation of a Sunday concert yet.
    You cant have tickets for Fri and Sat .
    You were only allowed buy tickets for one show in the Presale which lasted 3 days.

• Advertisement

Very interesting dabhoys.

Being a GAA fan has its benefits!!! I'm well up for the gigs...

Is the third gig on the Sunday or Monday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I saw on some website dat had a list of all da gigs around da world and it had 3 4 Croker. It was da Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

dabhoys wrote:
    Being a GAA fan has its benefits!!!

Free turf.

There's very little turf around my parts in dublin man :p Just the M50 and loads of granite. Well looking forward to these gigs!!!

Advertisement