Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniature Maltese

Options
  • 03-04-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello all,

I'm looking for some information on miniature or "toy/teacup" Maltese dogs. Are these dogs bred in Ireland?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

There is no such breed and you should stay well clear of anyone who claims to sell or breed tea cup or miniature Maltese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would have a quick read of this first.

There is no such thing as a 'miniature' maltese dog, as explained in the above link.

For a Maltese - research the breed first and foremost, then I'd suggest contacting the IKC to see if they have any registered breeders that can give you more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Parris83

That's odd. I wasn't aware they didn't exist, thanks!

There are just normal Maltese dogs, you will find some that are just smaller than average, some that might be the runt of the litter, or unfortunately some that are forced to be smaller than they should be.

Research the breed before you go looking for a Maltese so you can be sure of what you're getting and whom you're getting it from.

There are no tea cup breeds of any sort anywhere. Its a made up thing given to very small dogs or runts of the litter. They are not a breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

what they are trying to say is they are not an ikc dog. but they do exist,

pokertalk wrote: »
    what they are trying to say is they are not an ikc dog. but they do exist,

They are not a recognised breed of any sort, anywhere and anyone breeding such dogs should be stayed well away from as they are dodgy breeders and very irresponsible ones.

The Maltese is part of the group of dogs called "toy dogs." Afaik a normal, healthy adult Maltese should weigh between 4 and 8 pounds.

Nothing to do with being part of the IKC or the AKC or the EKC, they shouldn't be being bred smaller without serious risk to their health.

i never said they were not dodgy breeders just said they do exist,im suprised they are not a reged breed considering some of the things that are aloud go on with the kc

i never said they were not dodgy breeders just said they do exist,im suprised they are not a reged breed considering some of the things that are aloud go on with the kc

Do you mean a maltese is a recognised breed or a tea cup? Im confused:confused:
    Maltese are recognised with the KC but tea cup of any sort/breed are not a breed.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Do you mean a maltese is a recognised breed or a tea cup? Im confused:confused:
    Maltese are recognised with the KC but tea cup of any sort/breed are not a breed.
    the mini.but i never said the maltese mini was reconised just that they exist:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

the mini.but i never said the maltese mini was reconised just that they exist:eek:

No, they don't exist, what exists are dogs that are small, being the runt of the litter usually and unhealthy, just giving something a made up name doesn't mean it 'exists'. It is a Maltese, thats it. I have a siberian husky that is taller than the breed standard, if I decide to call it a Giant Siberian Husky, that doesn't make it that, its just what I am calling my dog, it is a siberian husky. Yes of course the dog exists, but as a siberian husky not as a Giant siberian husky. Actually I have 2 dogs over the recognised height, maybe I should start my own breed:P:D

ISDW wrote: »
    No, they don't exist, what exists are dogs that are small, being the runt of the litter usually and unhealthy, just giving something a made up name doesn't mean it 'exists'. It is a Maltese, thats it. I have a siberian husky that is taller than the breed standard, if I decide to call it a Giant Siberian Husky, that doesn't make it that, its just what I am calling my dog, it is a siberian husky. Yes of course the dog exists, but as a siberian husky not as a Giant siberian husky. Actually I have 2 dogs over the recognised height, maybe I should start my own breed:P:D
    thats more or less what i mean they are just givin the name

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP 4 pounds is less than the weight of 2 bags of sugar, surely this is small enough for you? :confused: Contact the IKC or Breed club for details of reputable breeders to make sure you are getting a healthy dog, these dogs are expensive by the way. Females will be a little smaller than males. I can assure you if you ask reputable breeders about minature dogs though it is very likely that they won't consider you for one of their pups.

OP 4 pounds is less than the weight of 2 bags of sugar, surely this is small enough for you? :confused: Contact the IKC or Breed club for details of reputable breeders to make sure you are getting a healthy dog, these dogs are expensive by the way. Females will be a little smaller than males. I can assure you if you ask reputable breeders about minature dogs though it is very likely that they won't consider you for one of their pups.

was just about to say that .4 lbs is already pretty small op and think that would be a bitch. any smaller is a hamster

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

just to let you know, we've had a 'miniature Maltese' to our training classes. She was 6 months and had NEVER been on a walk.

The 'breeder' told the dog owner that because she was so small she wasn't to meet other dogs until she was at least six months. This is completely the wrong advice, and could have been very detrimental to the dogs development and social skills.

If you are buying a miniature of any breed, it is more than likely from a breeder looking to make a quick buck, so i would advise against buying any miniature dog, and if you do, make sure you research the breeder very carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I have what you might call a 'Minature' Maltese (or a runt).

She's very timid, bites her paw and can't be put on a lead. Love her to bits but I wouldn't go searching for one.

Maltese are small enough dogs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Parris83

It seems I've started a ruckus :o, I was asking out of pure curiosity, I am not even looking to buy a puppy or a dog, not at the moment anyway.

It's not about a puppy being "small enough" or too big for me, I only asked a question.

Thanks for all the well meant advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

I have what you might call a 'Minature' Maltese (or a runt).

She's very timid, bites her paw and can't be put on a lead. Love her to bits but I wouldn't go searching for one.

Maltese are small enough dogs anyway.

Agree with this statment. No need to be looking for an even smaller maltese when the average maltese will be tiny anyway.

Advertisement