Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My secret passion.... ;)

Options
  • 20-03-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

... are bantam chicken. And I have to show off my newest arrivals.

A pair of Lavender Pekins:

DSCN0445.jpg

DSCN0444.jpg

And a trio of Mille Fleur Pekins:

DSCN0449.jpg

I love my chooks :D!

Anyone else with the chickenpox..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I love the lavender pekins, gorgeous.
    My nanny had bantams years ago, little balls of fluff (white with fluffy legs), I don't remember breed as I was quite small at the time, but I loved them.

Have thought about getting some but not with my cats, one would see dinner the other would be scared.
    Dogs I'm not sure either, bigger fella is scared of pheasants (hasn't met a hen, fine with garden birds), little one would go after rats and birds so may not be good with hens. I'd hate to stress the birds, so for now i'll wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Lovely photos, I'm sure they are very pretty - but I have a real aversion to birds I'm afraid:D I'd love to have some chickens, freshly laid, free range eggs would be great, but I couldn't handle having to look after the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How was the new babies settling in? Sooo cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I think they're cute :)

I can't wait til I can get some hens, they're awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I have a few ex-batts and Light Sussex as well (large fowl) but my son is afraid of them which is why I got into Bantams. I like the Pekins as they are not very flighty and real pets. Like walking tea cosy's ;).

My cats leave them alone, the roosters make so much noise if a cat approaches it doesn't seem worth the trouble :D.

Ivan the big black tomcat once ran afoul of a Light Sussex hen - she gave him a right going over and I think that cured him forever, he now ignores them and shakes his hindleg whenever he must go past one :p.

The Dutch Bantam are in an aviary as they are too small and my cats might really let rip. The dogs show no interest which is amazing since I got quite a few gun/hunting dog breeds here at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aquarian_fire

Have you seen Silkie chickens? They're gorgeous too! More fluffy than feathery! Your chickens look beautiful!

chicken_wilkamdai_poultry_Silkies%20-%20Various.jpg

Yes, my son's pet rooster is a Black Silkie (I'll upload a pic later). I like their temperament and looks but they don't do well in rain and get soaked.

That's so cool! I was wondering... where would it be possible to buy silkies? One of my friends keeps chickens at home and I think she'd die and go to heaven if I got her one!

Yep, no problem but I would buy older ones not chicks as they are very very hard to sex as chicks and you could end up with lots of roos :D

Have a look at this site, it has ads, breeders directories and details of poultry bring and buy sales all over Ireland: http://www.irishfowl.com/

That's brilliant, thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I got some chickens over the weekend.

199893_1906015565710_1101406668_32200119_7676726_n.jpg

197193_1907129793565_1101406668_32202312_2411380_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

they are so pretty! I'd love to have hens! but alas, we don't have the room :(

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Just looking for some advice?!!

We have just got an allotment and there are facilites to keep chickens and hens if we want.

But, I would rather keep them at home. The only problem is that I have no grass.

I do, however, have great enclosures that were originally built as kennels, about 15 feet x 8 feet slabbed, galvanised steel fencing and doors and totally escape proof. My question is could I keep hens in this set up?

I could build up a nice base of gravel and shavings, and maybe even get some roll out grass on top of that?

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree and should go with the allotment option but I would just love to have them at home!

Also are there any good books about keeping hens you would recommend or is everything on www.irishfowl.ie that I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement