Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing pet into Ireland - quarantine query

Options
  • 01-04-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hey all, so we want to move home with our pet cat sooner rather than later but everywhere I research it tells me that she has to be vaccinated for rabies (which is done) and then blood tested to check the effectiveness, 6 months later. She only got vaccinated 2 months ago and apparently you're supposed to get the blood test exactly a month later, so now we'll have to vaccinate her again (i think) and wait another 6 months. She has a pet passport, it's just the 6 month wait that's catching us.

We need to get home sooner than that so what are our options? I really don't want to quarantine her in Lissenhall - she's very needy and gets upset if we're not around, but if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary, can we visit her there?

Is there any way around this horrific 6 month quarantine/wait for blood test? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Kimia wrote: »
    Hey all, so we want to move home with our pet cat sooner rather than later but everywhere I research it tells me that she has to be vaccinated for rabies (which is done) and then blood tested to check the effectiveness, 6 months later. She only got vaccinated 2 months ago and apparently you're supposed to get the blood test exactly a month later, so now we'll have to vaccinate her again (i think) and wait another 6 months. She has a pet passport, it's just the 6 month wait that's catching us.

We need to get home sooner than that so what are our options? I really don't want to quarantine her in Lissenhall - she's very needy and gets upset if we're not around, but if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary, can we visit her there?

Is there any way around this horrific 6 month quarantine/wait for blood test? :(

What country are you moving back from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wendyjohnson

There's no way to get around the 6 month waiting period. :(

We ran into the same issue last year with our dog. We ended up having him stay with a friend for a few months. And I think that was the best decision for him and us! We know my friend loves him, and he love my friend's dogs! :)

Anyway, we visited Lissen about 5 years ago when we first considered moving to Ireland. Here are some of the information for you to consider. You can visit your pet, but the schedule is very limited. Since technically they are under quarantine you can't play with them or anything like that. I think the staff cannot play with them either. There was also a 6 month waiting period just to get into the place.

We got a tour of the kennel and found it kind of depressing. It was damp and drafty. You can get a heat lamp if you pay extra though.

Long story short, if you can find a temporary home for you cat until he/she is ready to travel. If you choose to board, visit the place or get a family member to visit the place and send some pcitures. My info is 5 year old so maybe conditions have improved.

Hope this help!
    Wendy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I dont think there is any way around this at all. They have to wait the 6 months for the vaccinations to be clear unfortunately. Could you leave the cat with someone and then when the 6 months are up you can get her transported back?
    I would really try and avoid the quarantine, its not a nice place and can be very stressful on the animals and i wouldnt advise it if its not absolutely necessary.

Does she not already have these tests dont if she has her pet passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

She has been vaccinated for Rabies but afaik i should have got her tested exactly a month after she was vaccinated and it slipped my mind with everything that was going on at the time. So I think now I have to get her vaccinated again, I must ask the vet. No I don't want to put her in quarantine, so i think the only thing we can do is stay here with her for another 6 months.

She has been vaccinated for Rabies but afaik i should have got her tested exactly a month after she was vaccinated and it slipped my mind with everything that was going on at the time. So I think now I have to get her vaccinated again, I must ask the vet. No I don't want to put her in quarantine, so i think the only thing we can do is stay here with her for another 6 months.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused, does she have a pet passport? What country are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

• You don't have to vaccinate her again, but you do need to have the blood test done asap to check that she has developed a high enough level of rabies antibodies to ensure immunity (that the vaccine has worked)
    • And then you'll have to wait for 6 months after the blood test (not the vaccination) before you can bring her back into Ireland :(
    • There's no escaping the 6 month wait I'm afraid, it's there to ensure that she doesn't develop any signs of illness from rabies which she might have picked up prior to vaccination.

It's a real nuisance, but these regulations are there for the protection of Irish people and pets - and I'm pretty thankful they exist. :o
    Perhaps, have you a friend or anyone who could mind the cat while the 6 months elapses and then you could have her brought over?

Thanks Summer. There's no way I could leave her for 6 months, with a friend or wherever, she's like my child! I'll just wait here another 6 months, but I'll make sure to get her tested straight away. She does have a pet passport and she's microchipped, it's just the rabies thing that I need to wait for now. I should have done this when we first got her and I wouldn't have this hassle now!! Thanks for your advice everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Surely if it has a pet passport it has already been tested for rabies as thats what is needed to get the passport??:confused:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/

See the bit where it says vaccinated for rabies.

andreac wrote: »
    Surely if it has a pet passport it has already been tested for rabies as thats what is needed to get the passport??:confused:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/

See the bit where it says vaccinated for rabies.

You apply for the pet passport and receive it, but you still actually have to go through that list and actually get everything done. When you receive the passport it's empty - then you have to fill it with information. So right now she's microchipped and vaccinated but we have not got the results of her blood test yet, that's what's causing the 6 month delay.

You apply for the pet passport and receive it, but you still actually have to go through that list and actually get everything done. When you receive the passport it's empty - then you have to fill it with information. So right now she's microchipped and vaccinated but we have not got the results of her blood test yet, that's what's causing the 6 month delay.

Oh right, usually when people say the dog has their pet passport it means it is completed, thats where the confusion lay.

I don't know if theres an issue but I've asked you twice and you've ignored it, if you don't want to answer it, maybe just say so, but what country are you moving back from?

• Advertisement

Oh sorry, it's Canada so it's considered rabies free too. It's just much more difficult to bring pets back into Ireland for some reason. I wouldn't mind but she's an indoor cat and has never once been outside or in contact with another animal, ever!

Advertisement