Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Spanish??

Options
  • 12-06-2009 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I know its kinda unpredictable, but does anyone know wats comin up on the HL Spanish Paper next tuesday? thanx! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

Like you said its so unpredicable so I don't know how much credit this has but, I've heard weight (apparently theres been a big healthy eating programme or something like that launched in spain) and emigration or imigration.. not sure why on that one!

They're both probably wrong but heyho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Well I would try to focus on Spanish culture... The different fiestas such as la tomatina, las fallas, holy week, el camino de santiago. Know the different members of the Spanish royal family. (Last year the queen of Spain came up on the tape).

Make sure to learn your weather vocab as it always comes up on the tape. Environment came up last year (El cambio climatico) so there is less of a chance of that coming up.

I would try to know the main current affairs of the past year, e.g US election. Also remind yourself about the Spanair crash in Madrid ( that was pretty recent).

Just focus on your grammar, verbs, vocab and idioms and you should be alright. Buena Suerte!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Just after looking over a few past papers there and noticed that Global warming came up last year, so that's one off the list.
    mobile phones in 2007..tbh i think the economic downturn would be the best bet, healthy eating(as it rearly apperd on papers) or Obama. Spain has been crippled as much as here by over spending, banks etc...so i'm just going to learn a few fraces and small bit of vocab.

a great guess would be something like "the difficulty of obtaining work these days"...well something like that anyway. It relates to us the candidates and the world...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Its based on the comprehension so if you were to learn general sentences and use the vocab within that comprehension would that suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lee W

Yeah im sure it would, you can't really just learn full essays off for spanish because, as you say, its mostly about comprehension. Thanks for the comments guys, really helpful! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

something on animals, and something to do with passions in life (could come up in the comprehensions, dialogue or written piece, no telling what section)

I'd still learn things on the environment, animals came up in the opinion piece in 2001, and again in the note in 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Ok. Don't panic! These are the suggestions my teacher has stressed to me in preparation for the Spanish exam.
    In terms of the aural just keep playing the cd or finish the last chapters of vamos a escuchar if you have it. Weather always comes up so revise the vocab.

Written: Journalistic, Read the text and write points on what is actually said on the side of the page of the text in the paragraphs in English. You do not need to understand every word but if you don't understand something try to understand the sentence from its context.

Small comprehensions are straightforward, not too much of a word.

After this I would tackle the dialogue (what I'm doing)
    Learn basic idioms.. me cuesta mucho, tengo ganas de, me da cuenta
    You do not necessarily need to translate what is said literally.
    If the person is writing in the usted form.. you reply in the usted form)

The Note (What i'm doing)
    Take your time, Cover each point as best as you can, Try to bring Spanish culture in eg. Most Spanish towns have a plaza de espana, El corte ingles hypermarket (un gran almacen- the e has an accent), Telepizza (Spanish Dominos). You can try to use your oral notes in this.. particularly the roleplays if you can manipulate well.

Section B: Follow same technique.. try to translate paragraph from paragraph and writes points (few words) of summary for each paragraph... and answer questions.. be careful with Explanations of Spanish equivalents and take your time.

Opinion: Do a plan, state your side of opinion and say in 1 paragraph how it affects society/life today, No estoy de acuerdo con esta afirmacion que... Es corriente que se escuche este problema en la sociedad irlandesa. then write a paragraph on how it affects you (ex: climate change, Personalmente tengo 18 anos y como estudiante de bachillerato o sea el "Leaving Cert" tengo muchas hojas por todo mi dormitorio. Porque estan hecho de papel intento a reciclarlas cuando pueda. Por eso como se puede decir que los irlandeses no se dan cuenta de la gravedad de este problema-LC 2008) (Sorry if my Spanish is very complicated.. that's just my writing style. It does not need to be this way to get a high grade)

Then balance your opinion state what one might say LC 2008 Es correcto decir que en Irlanda no hay una gran consciencia sobre los malos efectos del cambio climatico.. pero en realidad somos seres humanos y la vida para nosotros consiste en tantas cosas. Muchos piensan de otros asuntos como la familia, la profesion y por encima de todo (above all) el tigre celta. Mucha gente se preocupa del desempleo, de la crisis economica y pues en realidad hay algunos que pueden olvidar, a menudo, este problema global.

Then state some solutions in the final paragraph again in LC 2008 you could say.. pues a lo mejor hace falta que el gobierno eduque a todos de los inconvenientes de este problema global... Then again with something like. Espero con toda mi corazon que este problema resuelve para el futuro de las proximas generaciones de personas en la Tierra.

In short you probably know more than you think.. just keep going over everything and you will be fine. Also Try to look over aspects of Spanish culture, such as the Spanish Royal Family (The queen was on the tape last year), Look over A spanish map of different cities and the different festivals or 'fiestas' i.e. la tomatina, carnaval celebrated in Spain. Knowing about the Spanair crash in aug, the train bombing in Madrid, problem with immigration. Many moroccans try to flee to Spain for a better life.
    Hope that was some help. smile.gif
    Good luck! Buena Suerte!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

poisonated wrote: »
    Its based on the comprehension so if you were to learn general sentences and use the vocab within that comprehension would that suffice?
    S' my plan tbh.

Gona concentrate on getting decently in the aural aswell.

How much is each worth? Like the oral, aural and written paper?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

In one of the long comprehensions theres a part that asks you to translate sentences IN CONTEXT...for the mock i just translated what i could and left out some words cos i didnt know them...and i didnt get any attemp marks just got 0 for all of them and the examiner underlined "in context"...how do you translate in context?Its the exact same sentence in context or out of it...and why dont they give attemp marks??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jimjam-06

SugoiHito wrote: »
    In one of the long comprehensions theres a part that asks you to translate sentences IN CONTEXT...for the mock i just translated what i could and left out some words cos i didnt know them...and i didnt get any attemp marks just got 0 for all of them and the examiner underlined "in context"...how do you translate in context?Its the exact same sentence in context or out of it...and why dont they give attemp marks??:(

You have to give a general gist of the sentence, translating certain words is so no good. They want to see you understand the sentence in its general form, not that you can pick out and understand certain words :)

• Advertisement

jimjam-06 wrote: »
    You have to give a general gist of the sentence, translating certain words is so no good. They want to see you understand the sentence in its general form, not that you can pick out and understand certain words :)
    Ah right,thanks!Well..i tried giving the general gist but sometimes there so much weird vocab that its hard to understand everything!Guess ill try harder tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

SugoiHito wrote: »
    Ah right,thanks!Well..i tried giving the general gist but sometimes there so much weird vocab that its hard to understand everything!Guess ill try harder tomorrow!
    What I do is, in pencil I write down the words I understand. Then I read it and treat it as though a Spanish person was trying to talk to me in English and I was trying to decipher what they were saying. Then read it again, while thinking of what the text is talking about. Helps me anyway!

Jammyc wrote: »
    What I do is, in pencil I write down the words I understand. Then I read it and treat it as though a Spanish person was trying to talk to me in English and I was trying to decipher what they were saying. Then read it again, while thinking of what the text is talking about. Helps me anyway!
    Ah,thats interesting!Ill give that a try then,thanks!

Advertisement