Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something to flavour carrots/parsnip/cauliflower while boiling?

Options
  • 17-10-2014 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi frequently boil the above, it will be mostly carrot, but throw in a bit of either cauliflower, parsnip, or onion. Is there anything that could add flavour?. Have been adding pepper, but it's not great. I don't eat meat so boiling with a meat is not an option.

Thanks

Sarah :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

How about adding cumin? Goes great with carrots and parsnips.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cumincarrots_9993

With a mix of veg like that you could try par-boiling them and then roasting in the oven with salt/pepper, cumin, one or two whole cloves of garlic and a big glug of olive oil (plus throw in a few sprigs of rosemary or thyme if you like). Brings out much more flavour than just boiling them!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

A smidge of veg stock or a a little miso paste if you like the flavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Maybe you should just try steaming. These ingredients have flavour enough. But if your determined to boil and want to add more, I second the vegetable stock. Stock is great for flavouring all kinds of dishes. Even boiled rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Star anise goes well with Carrots

Salt is the cheap and cheerful way,
    butter helps too.

I'd never boil parsnips, roast/fry all the way
    roast cauliflower is nicer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thanks I like roasting, am capable of a reasonable roast carrot/parsnip with honey/stock, but vegetable stock when boiling wasn't to my liking.... but Grahams variation sounds interesting

...boiling in the morning when I'm getting ready can be handy, but I'm not bent on boiling...open to ideas :) will look up roast cauliflower, saw it suggested a few weeks ago in a magazine, thanks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

I do my carrots in a saucepan with a half cup of boiling water and a half cup of orange juice, a knob of butter, spoon of honey, freshly ground pepper and a pinch of salt. They are delicious. The orange juice brings out the natural sweetness of the carrots and the honey and butter makes it a lovely sauce. Make sure the liquid doesn't cover the carrots - you want it about halfway up. Pop a lid on the saucepan and they half boil/half steam and are soooo tasty :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

thanks Lucy, how though can I boil but not cover the carrots? and should they be choppped or left whole? sounds interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

If you're doing bacon and cabbage perhaps or at Christmas when you're doing turkey and ham, cook the carrots in the same water you did the bacon in and it gives it a lovely flavour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

You ca either slice them round or into batons. If you only half fill the saucepan with the liquid and put a lid on, they will half boil and half steam. That way they don't go mushy and the sauce is lovely and concentrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I never boil my veg either, nearly always roast. Its so easy, and you can cook flavourings or spices along with them. Cumin with carrots and cauli, corriander with peppers, garma masala with giant mushrooms, bacon with asparagus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I cooked carrot/parsnip mash two nights ago and gently simmered the vegetables with a big clove of garlic. Drain well, add a good dollop of butter, salt and pepper and there you are. I also put garlic in the pot when I'm boiling turnip. The garlic doesn't overwhelm the vegetables but it does give the finished dish a really nice savoury edge, we enjoyed the end product very much and voted to do it like this from now on.

Roasted cauliflower is a lovely dish. I break it into florets and add it to chili flavoured olive oil with wedges of red onion, red pepper, crushed garlic, thyme, salt and black pepper. I also add a good splash of balsamic vinegar and toss everything together well, pour into a roasting pan, cover with foil and bake. You do have to turn everything a few times while cooking as the cauliflower can scorch if the heat's too high. I take off the foil for the last 5 - 10 minutes and when it's done, I stir in some grated Parmesan and that's it. If you do try it, I hope it turns out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

For cooking carrots I think the nicest way is similar to what lucyn suggested above, I.e. A mixture between boiling and steaming with only a small amount of liquid, that becomes a kinda sauce for the carrots. But what I find important is to sauté the chopped carrots in butter in the saucepan first. Then I sprinkle a bit of veg stock over them and add a little bit of boiling water, but never to cover them completely. Turn heat down and simmer until still a bit crunchy. The buttery sauce can be enhanced then with a bit of cream or Creme fraiche, herbs that go well with carrots are thyme and parsley.

Veg like cauliflower and broccoli I almost always steam, and I would roast veg if I have them with something else that goes in the oven, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Try caraway seeds for cauliflower.
    Also a little hint for when cooking veg, if it grows above the ground boil it, if it grows beneath the ground simmer (except for jerusalem artichokes)

Advertisement