Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE plus BBC New year 2013/2014 Official Thread.

• 30-12-2013 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Well the time has come again for the New Year countdown which has become a tradition on the forum and a tradition that must live on. We have had many rather disappointing RTE new year countdowns since these threads first started but you have to admit you can't help but watch it just to see it. :pac:

I always hope every year for an improvement and sadly in the past i didn't get it and neither did many of you. But look RTE do something different every year so i suppose we shall give them another chance once again.

BBC is doing fireworks live as usual this year but before the fireworks Gary Barlow is going live from London for a hour or longer for some sort of build up or chat show to 2014. So that could be interesting as it's the first year i remember they done that sort of thing Live on New years.

I hope this thread can build on the success that we had last year as last year we had great interest and i want even more this year from everywhere on Boards.

So hope everyone comes Tomorrow and join us for this countdown which is set to be a lot like last years. (I'm being honest) ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jools Holland's Annual Hootenanny is, for me, a must watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jools Holland's Annual Hootenanny is, for me, a must watch.

The only way to celebrate a New Year - Jools and the pipes and drums of the First Battalion Scots Guards !

Ray Davies of Kinks fame, Emeli Sande, Charlie Wilson of Gap Band fame, Lisa Stansfield and the Proclaimers are amongst the guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

GARY BARLOW!!!

Well that's my evening planned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

amdublin wrote: »
    GARY BARLOW!!!
    Well that's my evening planned!

Me too... I will be watching ANY other channel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,303 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Britain has let its guard down long enough...time for Barlow to take over! His missiles will launch when Big Ben strikes (album plugs on the side of the missiles, of course).

• Advertisement

Me too... I will be watching ANY other channel...

Ho ho chortle chortle very funny :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The London celebrations again based at Westminster/London Eye and last 10m 50sec according to the chap who is looking after the pyrotechnics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Fo us it will be the usual Jools Hootenanny on BBC2, we'll then switch over to BBC1 at midnight for the fireworks inc fantastic sound effects (plugs TV into HiFi) and pump up the volume, boom boom bang crackle :))

Will of course have a sneaky peek at RTE1 to see if its the usual cringefest.

Who is "hosting" RTE cringefest?

Can't beat this really for a star packed hour of nonsense

10:15pm-11:15pm
    Graham presents a star-studded night of reunions for New Year's Eve, bringing together the stars of Anchorman 2 - Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Christina Applegate and David Koechner - the surviving members of the Monty Python team - John Cleese, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Eric Idle and Terry Gilliam - and sisters Joan and Jackie Collins. There's also comedy from Frank Skinner and a song from Canadian crooner Michael Buble. It's just to be hoped the sofa is big enough!

be even better if Michael Buble gets goosed by Terry Jones.

• Advertisement

With RTE calling it "The Ultimate Gathering Live", it leaves very little room for me to be sarcastic.. Damn you RTE for gazumping me :(

With RTE calling it "The Ultimate Gathering Live", it leaves very little room for me to be sarcastic.. Damn you RTE for gazumping me :(

And Shrieky Kennedy hosting! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Definitely Graham Norton and the Gary Barlow thing that's on after it for me tonight. I only saw the Jools Holland thing for the first time a few years ago and I think it's dreadful so I'll be avoiding it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

And Shrieky Kennedy hosting! :D

I don't know who she is. What does she present? I thought Daithi left RTE. Who presented it last year?

I think it could be superbly 'cringey' this year. I'll watch it every now and then but will watch the Beeb for the main event, as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

This year I am stuck in and obliged to work NYD so I will first attempt Norton on the BBC and then flick to RTE1 to desperately hope it isn't too painful this year. Apparently Miriam O'Callaghan is promised to be not involved this year so it can't possibly be worse than last year's fandango. Shall then flick to Jules Holland if this is too bad before returning to BBC1 at 11.55 to BBC1 for the fireworks and BigBen. Fireworks then flick between RTE1 disaster and Jools Holland.

COYW wrote: »
    I don't know who she is. What does she present? I thought Daithi left RTE. Who presented it last year?

I think it could be superbly 'cringey' this year. I'll watch it every now and then but will watch the Beeb for the main event, as always.

Children's tv mainly. Winning Shriek sometimes

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/laughing-her-way-to-the-top-199807.html

Just dont forget how bad other years have been..

There certainly wasnt enough bullets in the gun that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

BBC don't seem to be doing anything this year really (other than the hootenanny of course). My EPG says "Gary Barlow plays his greatest hits". Gary Barlow didn't have any hits. They're also showing fireworks on television. Fireworks on television! :pac: Nice for people who are institutionalised I suppose.

"Mike from KPMG will be keeping an eye on things".

Why didnt you keep an eye on Anglo, Mike..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

"Mike from KPMG will be keeping an eye on things".

Why didnt you keep an eye on Anglo, Mike..

Couldn't even remember the knife :D

• Advertisement

I am watching the anchormen on Graham Norton, the difference between this interview and the lls interview is immeasurable.

Couldn't even remember the knife :D

What went wrong there?.. I was at the fridge filling my giant mug with cheap wine getting a soda when I heard Ormond saying he'd make a fk up

What went wrong there?.. I was at the fridge filling my giant mug with cheap wine getting a soda when I heard Ormond saying he'd make a fk up

He asked your man had he the knife ready for opening the envelopes

Your man just had a bit confused head on him :)

He asked your man had he the knife ready for opening the envelopes Your man just had a bit confused head on him :)

I'd say if you'd asked him to burn or shred the envelope it wouldnt have phased him...

I am watching the anchormen on Graham Norton, the difference between this interview and the lls interview is immeasurable.

Guys!!! I am laughing! Laughing at this interview! Real live laughter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

What is Daithi waffling on about?....

Wouldn't you think he would have stayed at home with the new Mrs and given us all a break?

Ah, this stupid Irish language covers nonsense.. Hand him the lyrics of We Didnt Start The Fire by Billy Joel, tell him you want a direct rhyming translation and well see him back in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm all for the promotion of the Irish language but what is the point of throwing few sentences in?

People just don't do that.

It's like your Uncle trying to be cool with "the kids"......

• Advertisement

What is Daithi waffling on about?....

Wouldn't you think he would have stayed at home with the new Mrs and given us all a break?

The new Mrs?! They got married in 2012!

The new Mrs?! They got married in 2012!

:eek:

It's not 2013 already is it??......:D:D:D

Oh go away you.. :mad:

Tron agus Eardrum or something....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lostdisk

Whos yer man on RTE?

Stick a mole on Laura and she's her friend Amanda Byram

• Advertisement

Jesus, this is bad. RTE trying to do it's share of bigging up the Irish language. This will turn people off it.

Daithi will be looking for the LLS after this......

Bray. 3 people who do 3 different things. Amazing.

A Kerryman doing the LLS

Now that would be priceless :)

"Stiofán, did you think back then that you would be headlining New Year's Eve 2014 with Maadness"...

No Daithí, I thought they would have got a bigger band as well.

• Advertisement

Snorefest zzzzzzz

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Pickled Dick

I can't understand a word out of that culchie gob****e's beak !

Ah, this stupid Irish language covers nonsense.. Hand him the lyrics of We Didnt Start The Fire by Billy Joel, tell him you want a direct rhyming translation and well see him back in 2020.
    I don't agree - I think it was great for the promotion of Irish. It gave the whole Gaeltacht course thing a big lift. I wouldn't like to see it done to death tho.

Shuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrr Laura

Shurrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He'd turn it into the "An Late Déanach Show"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Happy new year everyone. I'm getting ****faced and watching Norton.

Just kidding, I don't have a TV. Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Why are RTE always caught between dull/worthy and cringingly "showbiz" with special event telly?

inthehat wrote: »
    I don't agree - I think it was great for the promotion of Irish. It gave the whole Gaeltacht course thing a big lift. I wouldn't like to see it done to death tho.

The Mother would never let us go because it was a "haven for snogging" or words to that effect!......:D:D:D

She had the notion we wouldn't be concentrating on learning Irish!...;)

Ugandans, a great bunch of lads.
    Shuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrr Laura

Shurrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Not a fan???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Classic bit of TV on Graham Norton earlier, go Sev!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement