Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing old gun back to life.

Options
  • 07-10-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. My baikal has definitely seen better day. She's fairly old and has the marks to show it.
    I am thinking of cleaning it up myself.
    For a start the butt of the gun has marks on it and some designs on it. Any tips on making it cleaner looking and designs to stand out on it. ( sanding down etc)?
    Then the barrel is also marked and rust from 25 year ago on it. Scrubbed it with wd40 but won't come off. I have a spray gun in work that we use for spraying trucks with. Am thinking of spraying it gun barrel grey or plain black but does it have to be certain paint to use. Il be sanding and priming it aswell.
    So any tips on how to sort the wood and steel of the gun is welcome.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Used the birchwood casey stock refinisher on my cz stock looks brand new...you could also get the rebluing kit too..all can be got on ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 davediesel

Steel wool and gun oil will do a job on the rust

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I wouldn't sand the stock until you had too as any sanding is essentially removing wood. Try cleaning out the designs with a toothbrush and some soapy water. There is a beeswax/petroleum jelly cleaner you can get for cleaning wood, can't remember the brand right now but will check my shed this evening. If you have dents in the wood, lightly sand away the finish on the dents and put some drops of warm water on the dents they should swell up after a while and hey presto, no more dents (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If I were you I wouldn't paint the barrels. Go at it with good gun oil and steel wool which will remove all superficial rust and see what the original blueing is like. If you're down to bare steel you can re-blue or otherwise put on a quality clear metal varnish like for example the transparent stuff that's used for cars. Paint is not going to look good at all and will scratch very easily and you'll be back to square one or worse as it won't be as handy to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Buggs

If the stock is poorly finished and scratched up you can strip it back with paint strippers then put a damp cloth over the marks and use a hot iron to lift the grain and close the scratches.
    Then apply a few coats of boiled linseed oil, it'll really show off the grain in the timber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Padd2

how did this go ? im thinking of the same? would autosol bring of the schroll on the action??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Padd2 wrote: »
    how did this go ? im thinking of the same? would autosol bring of the schroll on the action??

I decided to just take it apart and clean the Shiite out of it with spray oil.
    Gonna get some linseed oil for the stock

would linseed oil rubed into the stock clean it up? would i have to remove the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Padd2 wrote: »
    would linseed oil rubed into the stock clean it up? would i have to remove the finish?

It supposedly will soak into it and bring it back to life. Shines more and brings the colour back into it.
    Nothing to lose either way

THATS GOOD NEWS MIGHT GET SOME AND TRY IT OUT!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement