Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concentrating fish stock

Options
  • 13-10-2014 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

I'm making fish stock tomorrow with the idea being that I want to concentrate it down in order to save on freezer space and so I can make chowder soups more conveniently and flavoursome. I've read a bit online about how a stock left to simmer for hours reduces down first to a fume which then turns into a demi-glaze and eventually a glaze. But what I'm not sure of is how do chefs perform calculations on starting liquid to the finished concentrate? Also what I'd like to achieve is a to produce a concentrate and then at the end portion it into an ice cube bag so I can then use an individual porttion to make 4 x 300ml bowls of fish soup as needed. Again I'm kinda stumped as to how to figure this out, I don't want to end up with a stock concentrate that is too strong or too weak so am unsure how to achieve the correct balance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To be honest, this is not going to be an exact science.
    Make sure you strain your stock before reducing it, otherwise you will overcook your stock - fish stock only takes about 30 minutes to cook.

Just reduce your stock to a point where it's still liquid and freeze it in an ice cube trays.
    Then it's going to be trial and error to see how many cubes you need - the more it's reduced, the fewer cubes you'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I had thought it might be a bit of trial and error but was kinda hoping there might be a calculation I could do, ie 2 kgs fish heads and bones to 2 litres water then reduced down to 500ml stock, then find out how much of the 500ml might be needed to make 1.2 litres of chowder. The reason I'm doing this is I'm hoping to get it down so I can have enough fish stock on hand to make around 25 or 30 bowls over the course of winter. This run is more of a trial so I'll see how I get on before really loading up on heads and bones and making it in bigger bulk.

Can I ask when simmering is it important that the bones are all submerged in the covered pot or is it more so the process of sweating the bones in steam that is important to get the flavour out?

The bones should really be mostly covered with the liquid. Stock should be left uncovered.

Google fish stock.
    You'll find lots of recipes and instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you can get some crustacean shells (I.e lobster, crab, langoustine etc) and roast them for about 20 mins at 200 and add them to your stock at the start, they'll help with the intensity that you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Be careful reducing fish stock it gets bitter quickly with longer cooking IME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Be careful reducing fish stock it gets bitter quickly with longer cooking IME.

This. It's to do with the bones.
    Fish head is far better for making stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Oh and don't use oily fish like salmon and mackerel but use white fish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    This. It's to do with the bones.
    Fish head is far better for making stock.
    Fish heads should be eaten! Preferably in curries.

duploelabs wrote: »
    If you can get some crustacean shells (I.e lobster, crab, langoustine etc) and roast them for about 20 mins at 200 and add them to your stock at the start, they'll help with the intensity that you're looking for

Do this if you like that bisque flavour - I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Acciording to my excellent Sophie Grigson Fish cookery book, here is how you make concentrated fish stock.

1) Make fish stock ( as was said above, it only takes 30 minutes).

2) Strain it, measure how much you have

3) Reduce down, and measure how much you have.

4) store in a container to freeze and mark on the container how much fish stock it was before beign reduced and you will know how much water to add when you use it.

i.e -

make 2 litres of stock.

Reduce to 500ml.

Divide in two. Mark each container " makes up to 1l of stock"

• Advertisement
Advertisement