Most obscure game in your collection? - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-04-2012, 13:14   #46
The Last Bandit

All my stuff is common as muck to be honest. Less common (can't call it rare) item I have is probably the ICO pack that included the post cards - although haven't seen it in ages...
Advertisement
17-04-2012, 14:39   #47
Doge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Parish View Post
What's really ahead of its time was the Xerox Alto. Up to 512kB of RAM in 1973? That's nearly as much as my fully upgraded IBM XT (640K)
Only saw this post now, but when I discovered about the Alto from watching "Triumph of the Nerds" a few years ago I was amazed, went looking up ever video I could possibly find.

Especially this video of an early multiplayer (over ethenet, which they developed) FPS game, it blew my mind:

(2) thanks from:
17-04-2012, 16:51   #48
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgeo View Post
strange, weird game you have?
1 weird one I have is "minder" from the TV series
http://www.minder.org/mindplay/mindgame.htm
(2) thanks from:
17-04-2012, 17:20   #49
Pyongyang
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgeo View Post
strange, weird game you have?
1 weird one I have is "minder" from the TV series
http://www.minder.org/mindplay/mindgame.htm
Now that IS obscure!
18-04-2012, 10:00   #50
CiDeRmAn

It wasn't at the time!
It was one of a load of tv licences of british TV.
Minder, Young Ones, Coronation Street!
None all that good mind you

Having watched an episode or two I reckon "The Professionals" would make a good GTA clone, albeit with it's tongue firmly in cheek, same tone as Life on Mars perhaps, if it was played straight it'd wind up like The Getaway

As for rare games, a good one to watch out for is The Getaway for the PS2, there was the initial run that, at one stage, featured a British Telecom van, due to the tone of the game the company asked that their logos be removed so they were in later issues of the game, therefore the original BT containing copy of the game as gathered some value.
And I had one, from when I bought the game when it was first released... then sold it and now have the cheapo one instead.... Bugger!
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 11:01   #51
MackDaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
a good one to watch out for is The Getaway for the PS2........I had one, from when I bought the game when it was first released... then sold it and now have the cheapo one instead.... Bugger!
I had that version too, but now all i have is a "backup" (ahem) of it and a mid-price "platinum" version original disc. It was kinda sh*te anyway. Once the novelty of driving around saff london wore off i just got sick of the gameplay and went back to GTA vice city, which was miles better.
18-04-2012, 11:37   #52
Jimmy Bottlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
All my stuff is common as muck to be honest. Less common (can't call it rare) item I have is probably the ICO pack that included the post cards - although haven't seen it in ages...
I've that Ico edition... is that rare?!
18-04-2012, 12:07   #53
Andrew76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bottlehead View Post
I've that Ico edition... is that rare?!
Unfortunately no.
18-04-2012, 12:30   #54
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
Minder, Young Ones, Coronation Street!
None all that good mind you
Just searched for coronation street games, theres a few, including this newer one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coronation-S.../dp/B0057LGBZ0

The other one I still have is samantha fox strip poker, which I remember being told was "bought for the poker", which I believe, it was on a spectrum!, you'd want to be very hard up to be getting excited looking at those graphics
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 12:53   #55
CiDeRmAn

Probably glad the Speccy had a rubber keyboard then, in case of "spillages".......

Truth be told more young men got hot and heavy playing Football Manager than staring at some pixellated tarts chest.
18-04-2012, 13:55   #56
Sieghardt

In terms of value Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 sc1-3 and premium disc I guess
oh and one of the rarer discs of Lunar Silver Star Story

In terms of how many people probably played them maybe Langrisser 2 or Sigma Star Saga
Thanks from:
18-04-2012, 17:03   #57
ghostchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
Sigma Star Saga
Ah I forgot about that, I've got that as well. Only played a bit of it but it's rather good
Thanks from:
20-04-2012, 07:56   #58
CiDeRmAn

Having made a related comment in another thread I was reminded that the most obscure game in my collection is also, possibly, the only copy of the game and necessary console in the country, and that is Tempest 3000 and the Nuon, respectively.
Tempest 3k, the sequel to the only reason to own a Jaguar Tempest 2000, is another game from the insane mind of gifted developer Jeff Minter and is a glorious miasma of light and sound, not to mention gameplay.
Sure, the pervasive lightshow gets in the way of the game but it is a beautiful thing nonetheless.
The console was a massive flop, a gaming chipset designed to be built into DVD players, set top boxes etc. Sadly none came to pass aside from a handful of DVD players.
The games were dreadful aside from Tempest, and machine quickly descended into bargain bins and disappeared.
The console was actually released in the US, Korea and Europe, mostly thanks to Korean backer Samsung's support, some machines lack the controller ports, however but these can be hacked into the machine.
So, the Nuon and Tempest 3000, not just rare as hens teeth but as rare as good crown work on hens teeth!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion