Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Prime rot!!

Options
  • 29-11-2004 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Being from Limerick I feel extremely disgusted by the rot just broadcast. I am talking about their so called Prime Time special on Limerick, this is yet another attempt to make a big deal out of nothing. The picture they are painting is an absolutely rubbish one, Limerick is by no means a seedy gangland. The constant media attention is affecting the residents of this city, we are sick to death of the jibes and insults. The trouble is rarely seen and in general the city experience is safe. Dublin and Cork are equally as bad maybe even worse, and its simply a rubbish attempt by RTE to make our city look awful. People have their troubles as they do and thats their business, but if your next neigbour murders his neigbour dosen't mean to say your a murderer. I was only in Dublin last thursday and caught a taxi from the Jervis Street to Heuston, I have a Limerick accent which taxi driver picked upon and decided to discuss nothing but the troubles we so called have.

I leave you a very pissed off poster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Willem D wrote:
    I am talking about their so called Prime Time special on Limerick, this is yet another attempt to make a big deal out of nothing
    I didn't see the show. However assuming (dangerous I know) that I know what they were taking as their starting point, I might go as far to call it a "trouble caused by a small number of specific people that isn't noticed by most people in Limerick" but I reckon calling it "nothing" is underplaying it a bit.

And I'm taking it on its own facts rather than comparing it with the trouble present in other cities (Cork certainly comes with its own and I assume there are well-known names in Dublin as well) because, like you, I'm not a tabloid journalist either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I saw the show and it profiled the gangland element in Limerick, not the city itself , It showed the areas on a map pointing out that most of the city was not involved in the fighting and that the overwhelming majority of people lived normal lives there. They were at pains to point out that the situation in limerick was similar in other cities at that it was isolated areas of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I only saw the first 40 minutes or so before having to head to work, from what I could see it was reasonably balanced with councillors and Willie O'Dea frequently being allowed time to point out the fact that gangland violence is only a small part of Limerick culture and to say some good things about Limerick. Willie O'Dea making the point that the viciousness of the violence could perhaps be explained by the small geographic area the gangs inhabit.

In general a poor piece of journalism. Heavy on re-creation (ie entertainment) and sparse on any new facts or enlightening theories or interesting commentary. Sunday Independant and Sunday World "journalists" providing most of the media commentary says a lot. It basically rehashed what I had read about the various murders, assaults, riot and abductions and frequently put in some bits with people pointing guns and shouting at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I dont think the programme portrayed Limerick in a bad light. I have been there lots of times and have never seen any trouble.. however, the report pointed out time and time again that the violence was concentrated in a small area and that for the most part Limerick was unaffected by it... Its the fact that so much violence is happening in a localised area that is frightening. Dublin and other cities do have the same problems but it is spread out over the city.. but in limerick it seems to be that in this small part of the city, the amount of shootings and stabbings is unreal... then again i am only going by what i read and see on the news so it could be sensationalism by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I have to say I lived in Limerick for over 2 years and not once when I went out on the piss did I see a fight in a pub. Its not that rough, it just a certain few bad areas.

However, I was on the bus down there and some little c*nt throw a brick through the window! =)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Willem - are you Marguerite's brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i thought it was more like a crime movie than a documentary.
    they were trying to make it seem like we have a proper organised crime scene, as if we need one to be a proper country.
    bit ropey if you ask me.
    i didnt expect it to be too indepth when it opened on a GTA style map of limerick split into different gang territores etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

I have to say I lived in Limerick for over 2 years and not once when I went out on the piss did I see a fight in a pub. Its not that rough, it just a certain few bad areas.

However, I was on the bus down there and some little c*nt throw a brick through the window! =)

I'm from one of those so-called "Bad Areas" and we are unaffected by the 2 gangs, though a smaller "dissagreement" between an upstanding citizen, who was featured on the programme and a shower of knackers, [or travellers] could get serious, as these scum think they can get away with intimidating people.

On the whole, you will find it almost impossible to see any evidence of a gang-war here, only for the papers, and trash on the telly like this, I'd find it hard to believe it's happening at all.

You have to accept though that this is serious & needs sorting fast, these scumbags [2 gangs of knackers with connections] are hell bent on killing each other, I'd say leave them wipe each other out, but that solves nothing.
    Our reputation was started as a joke & it has stuck like mud ever since, people that don't know Limerick will believe that it's Vitenam or something, as people are media zombies but if people are that ignorant, I wouldn't want to know them anyway.

These scumbag knackers that continue to bring our name down can't go into town, certainly don't get into pubs/clubs so there is no need to worry, it's just unfortunate that Limerick has never looked so good, with so much to do, compared with the 80's & early 90's & our name is worse than ever.

I know many people that were edgy coming into Limerick that now laugh about it, come visit and see for yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Ah but ye have to admit,Limerick appears scum infested tbh. Your fine city managed to get itself a now deceased mayor with organised crime links,an individual so esteemed he gave an interview to an RTE gangland programme last year sitting on his couch wearing only his vest and underpants :D
    There was a write up in Ieland on Sunday about some scobe lawyer raaking it in with nuisance compo claims

Even the good guys provide laughter-like your councillor John Gilligan :D Im sure hes a good guy.....but still,Limerick,gangland,John Gilligan,its too good to ignore :D

Just because you never seen anybody get shot it doesnt mean your city is somehow over exposed in crime news. I live in the area of west Dublin where all the local trouble has been lately. The area is full of scumbags,thats a fact. So is every other town and city,its just that in Limerick and west Dublin guns are more commonly used,and the most addictive drugs like heroin more available. And fair is fair,some of Limericks trouble can be traced to outsiders. Dublin gangs,the dissident provos,pikeys,I know of someone from Cavan involved(dont know the guy,some of my mates do though). If guns and crack where as widespread here as the states yid be having gangland shootings in Leitrim.

Tbh i couldnt give a sh1te about this areas rep,its funny when people from outside start askin did you know the two lads from the westies. :) Fair enough,its scobe infested,and im over a mile from a pub where nobody has ever been murdered,non fatally stabbed or the pub owned by a gangster,but its still an alright place to live. Its not Dalkey,but it isnt Compton either,your not likely to catch a stray bullet and should be fairly alright if you keep out of local politics so to speak

Advertisement