Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Student Assignment 2014

Options
  • 03-09-2013 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

So today we got the project for the year and it's a reusable water bottle, I decided to start early, meaning tonight so if anyone at all has any advice I'd really love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

The SEC has yet to post the assignment notes on examinations.ie. Regardless, sound's very interesting. Better than a stupid lectern which we had last year. By the way, it's "2014".

Since I'm repeating, I'll tell you that there's no need to rush. I started and finished mine in November/December and achieved top marks for my project - played around with SolidWorks for 3 months! I have all my SolidWorks/Photoshop/resource files from last year, might take less time than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

I'll be keeping an eye out for that. Haha yeah sorry about that. Thanks for the advice, and would you be able to recommend a particular program for doing the actual layout and presentation of the project?

I personally used Photoshop to design my project, since I have experience using it and had access to it. But keep in mind, that it must be done within school parameters (according to the SEC). A lot of students last year used Microsoft Office Powerpoint since it was widely available and simple enough to use - and they seemed to do well, as long as you make it your own and presentable since marks go for presentation.

If you can't be bothered with creating it on a computer for whatever reason (SolidWorks can annoy you at times, tempting to throw the computer across the room), you could sketch everything if you have talent. For the actual sketches, tracing will suffice since we're not all born into becoming genuine artists.

It'll all be scanned (if you sketched the entire project; you can scan your sketches for certain sections if you like but you must provide originals within the SEC pouch, on the day of completion) - printed, compiled into a .PDF, and burned onto a disc so whatever you end up doing won't matter if it looks exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Know what I'm doing for the concept design so far, still haven't decided on a bottle to remake, awful project to say to least!

Don't bother with remaking. It's the most idiotic thing to do given the time frame. You have to basically duplicate over half your project and redo sections to suite a remake. Improvement is more than sufficient.

• Advertisement

I meant for the first bottle, find one on the internet to re-do on solidworks? Model it off that.

Pretty much. Take two bottles off of the internet (don't forget to reference with numbers & links at the very end when taking images), compare and contrast between them and choose one to build in SolidWorks. I'd suggest to just play around with drawing models right now and see what can be done.

It'll be interesting to see people model the bottles in SolidWorks due to the thinness of the plastic. And they thought lecterns were difficult enough.

Haha I know, I did the lectern last year I'm repeating! I made a little water bottle last year as part of my concept design, just drew half it and use revolve boss base I think, then shelled it and coloured it clear and stuck a colour for the cap, very very very basic took no more than 10 mins!

The lectern was the SEC trolling us. Sounds simple enough, I just made a cup holder on my lectern - why didn't I think of that! Would be a neat little addition, a cup even. I think the trick part will be the screw cap (if that's the type of bottle you're going for - with the actual ridges & making the cap glide around the top of the bottle - sounds like a lot of work already).

A snap-on could work..

I loved the one last year, ill try find my memory stick and post a pic of my concept, was very proud of my idea ;) Yeah if ya could pull that off it'd be impressive :) Doin the bottle is fairly simple like, have to find some way to make it complex!

• Advertisement

".. add a cup holder to it, and maybe a shelf too." - every student last year.

Haha ya everybody copying eachother!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TheConorDunne

iFreeley wrote: »
    I loved the one last year, ill try find my memory stick and post a pic of my concept, was very proud of my idea ;) Yeah if ya could pull that off it'd be impressive :) Doin the bottle is fairly simple like, have to find some way to make it complex!

As he said, stand out. Venture into the unknown 30+ pages on google, Your design can be bat s*** crazy as long as you justify it. Do lots of drawings/sketchs on your outputs to make them stand out. I spent around 4 hours on each output and got an A2 overall.

I'll try to find my memory stick and put up my lectern outputs so yous have an idea :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭damoPL

Solidworks..... ugh :/

Eager to see the official project briefing - but I have a fair idea from last year. ".. bla bla, water bottle .. bla .. how can it be improved .." etc. SolidWorks is the most enjoyable part! Can't wait to get my fingers into it again, haven't used it since January, on the Friday afternoon at the project deadline. Talk about a close call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Exo wrote: »
    Eager to see the official project briefing - but I have a fair idea from last year. ".. bla bla, water bottle .. bla .. how can it be improved .." etc. SolidWorks is the most enjoyable part! Can't wait to get my fingers into it again, haven't used it since January, on the Friday afternoon at the project deadline. Talk about a close call.

"Since I'm repeating, I'll tell you that there's no need to rush. I started and finished mine in November/December and achieved top marks for my project"

Which is it?

Start as soon as you can, spend the time on it. Have your ideas sorted before you go near solidworks and then tear into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's usually shortly after the schools re-open in January.

"Since I'm repeating, I'll tell you that there's no need to rush. I started and finished mine in November/December and achieved top marks for my project"

Which is it?

Start as soon as you can, spend the time on it. Have your ideas sorted before you go near solidworks and then tear into it.

Rushing, as in starting as soon as possible and then dragging it along through the winter holidays & into January. I'd rather spend my time working on improving DCG related things for the exam in June. Starting early, you'll drag on and always want to tweak and change things - hence wasting precious time. That's just the way I look at it, and how my situation was last year.

Anyone started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

iFreeley wrote: »
    Anyone started yet?

I have, I've a rough draft of output 1 finished but I'm ahead of almost everyone in the class so I don't know if I'm going a little too fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 brendantuffy

the curse is tryin to find a bottle with 5 parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

the curse is tryin to find a bottle with 5 parts

Split the body in half along the mould line. It wouldn't be innacurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Split the body in half along the mould line. It wouldn't be innacurate.

That would be some stretch in claiming it to be 2 parts, also if there is only one mould line that is still one part formed

There are obviously bottles out there with 5 parts or they would not have been able to give it as a project but if one of my class came ot me with that suggestion I would say that wouln't be a runner however I'm sure you would find as many teachers who say the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 43 soupyryan13

I have most of my output 1 draught finished and I began modelling my bottle yesterday. I think the reusable water bottle idea isn't the worst thing they could have given us. Our school bought water bottles for us as there is only 4 higher level students in my class so we bought ones with filters in them (they made up 5 parts) and they are actually pretty complex designs. It's a pity that we can't do any of it at home because I'd love to just get it finished and concentrate on other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Hey everyone, I decided that I'd drop in here and give ye a few nuggets of help. I did DCG last year with the horror of the lectern and came out the other side with an A1 overall (and I really did feel I did awfully in the written exam so I've a strong feeling my project brought me up!) so I must have done something right!

Firstly it's extremely advisable to get a copy of Solidworks from your school so you can practice on your home computer and work out the kinks so when you do get precious time in school to work on your project you're clear what you need to do and there's no problems or delays, as time in school to work on your project is very scarce! Do spend a lot of time this side of Christmas working on your project, you won't have too much to do with regards to the actual LC so you will have time now to work on it! Personally I came up with quite a complicated concept design which took a good few long nights to work out! Also as the deadline approaches your always going to have so many little things like presentation etc to work out!

When you're researching existing designs and concept designs, the internet isn't necessarily the be all and end all, anyone can google something and copy and paste a piece of text! I slightly cheated in this respect and took a lot of pictures from the internet and printed them on photographic paper, and hand-wrote any text next to it, that way it looks like you went out and really researched the topic and made an effort rather than just sitting at home on your laptop. Another big thing is sketching, practice it A LOT! Nice sketching with really intricate colouring/shading really screams hard work rather than a few computer printed photos.

With regard to a concept design (which I'd recommend rather than the improvement on an existing design as it's easier to pick up marks.) go for something really off the wall, something the examiners have never seen before and would never think of! I based mine on the 2012 London Paralympics, so the actual lectern itself was based on the structure of the Olympic stadium and the microphone was based on Oscar Pistorious' running leg (which sounded like a good idea until of course he murdered his girlfriend :rolleyes: )

Lastly presentation does make a difference, I had a template and colour scheme on every page which I suppose added to the aesthetics of it! Do look and try and get your hands on other peoples projects from previous years (I found a few on the Boards threads of previous years, where I got a few ideas for my own) and take various bits that you like and amalgamate them together to use in your project. Of course don't hesitate to PM me if you want a copy of my project, I'm sure Spurious won't let me post it publicly so the balls in your court ;) and if you've any questions I'd be more than happy to answer ;)

PS There is light at the end of the tunnel, 6th year flies! And college is as good as everyone says it is, I'm in Med in UCC and you couldn't pay me to go back to secondary school! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thebigolefool

Welldone Eurovison Mad your lectern was pretty cool. I also did the leaving cert last year and achieved 92% in the project overall. The parts that really let me down were my sketches big time as I achieved full marks in every other section of the project bar the sketches even though I got my girl friend to do these sketches which I taught were class but obviously the wa*ker correcting my script taught not. I myself am back repeating, as I missed out on my course unfortunately. I really did go crazy on the whole solidworks my concept lectern was a briefcase which could fold up and become a lectern it was absolutely horrible over 30 limt mates alone just to solve the rising mechanism as it worked somewhat like a chery picker motion (on brackets). I would have some advise for people tough your first model should be that of a simple (well moderately) bottle but do it accurately and correct, try and aim for minor detail done in anal detail then zoom in on these little finicky bits for your photoview work. Don't worry lads this project is so much more easier compared to that of last years. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

How is everyone else doin their compare and contrast page 2??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 steven_b16

well lads just found this, i have output 1 done and on compare and contrast now. we have a teacher who is just out of collage so he is only learning as he goes, so dose any one have pics of the layout of output 2 im not really sure what its supposed to look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 soupyryan13

Really starting to dislike this project now this is the bottle I decided to design
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spearmark-Housewares-Freeze-Bottle-Freezer/dp/B004B8U6Q0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382640950&sr=8-2&keywords=spearmark+water+bottle+freezer+stick

At the beginning I was up for the challenge but at this point I am sick of it. I only managed to finish the main body of the bottle today and I have been at it since the week after we got the brief.
    The outputs aren't too bad struggling to fill up the compare and contrast pages but I'll get there soon.
    Is anyone else finding that this project is taking up too much of your time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mdeane

Right lads as far as i can see there is some terrible advice been given in this thread but also some good stuff by eurovisionmad and thebigolefool.

Someone said something about only spending a month or two at it so you dont waste time tweaking things, madness, thats what this project is about, doing things and changing them to make them perfect. Personally i dedicated all my study time between around this time and Christmas solely on this and my construction project, and left proper study for after the DCG deadline. Yes this made for terrible mock results but they count for nothing so don't worry you will have plenty of time for everything else. (Just to clarify here i got an A1 in DCG and an A2 in construction and gained almost a hundred points between mocks and the LC to get me a good bit above 500 which was way more than expected this time last year, so it does work).

On the solidworks side of things, as someone said earlier pick something simple and be anal about the detail (On mine i cut the power symbol into the button and modeled all the pins in any plugs, usbs, jacks etc.) , remember there are frig all marks going for difficulty of your modelling, but you need to show your talent so show off these little details in your presentation. Stay away from curvy surfaces as there an absolute pain to model. There is also absolutely no need to make any fancy moving bits work, as long as you explain the concept in your portfolio, think of this as a pre production design brief your giving to a company who will then deal with how it works, its not your problem so dont get hung up on it.

For presentation powerpoint is perfect, its easy to use and easy to access, if you know how to use it well you can make some pretty effective layouts. While laying out your portfolio, keep it in your head that this is a design project. You need to make yours stand out, pick a colour scheme and stick to it, (I used two, blue for the first part and pink/purple for the second (be bold) but there was a clear and marked transition between the two sections), make sure it has continuity, (i.e. same size font, title in the same place on the page), use a border. One point that really annoyed me with other peoples portfolios was their pictures looked really out of place, I took every single photo i used and brought it into photoshop(use gimp if you dont have access) and made the background white, then gave them all the same frame, this stopped them looking out of place and tied them together aswell as making the whole thing neater.

If i was doing the project this year i would be going down the route of a new design. Someone said this means you have to do some of the project twice, yes but you'll be awarded for that. I honestly dont see how you're going to come up with any improvements drastic enough, (but if you have a really good idea by all means use it) so i would recommend picking a theme, (running, football, nature, driving, cars, picking your nose, whatever your into). Design your bottle based on this theme, I picked the 2012 olympics which was still fresh in my mind at the time, and based it on the already prominent design features in the equipment and signage used (google london 2012 and you'll see that they use "shards" everywhere). This worked for two reasons, 1. It showed i had an interest in design and that i noticed the design cues, 2. It gave me something really solid to work off, I was able to trace the designs for say the logo or podium back to press releases and could discover how they were created then apply the same method to my own design. Also remember that the product should really be useful, so dont let its practicality slip.

Sketches are crucial. I was only alright at sketching as in i could shade but could never get the shapes just right. So i decided to print out pictures and roughly trace the bits of them i was struggling with, then finished and shaded them in by hand. This is one area that will take alot of redoing, if you do one that's half decent but you don't think makes the cut, do it again but keep it incase you cant do any better, i made the mistake of throwing away some of my better pieces. Also don't be afraid to throw in random little sketches to explain ideas, especially in the second part, even if they're a bit crap, Its a handy way of filling space, for example i got a whole second page out of my compare and contrast just by drawing the details of the two pieces.

If you take anything from this post let it be that this is a design project. This means a few things, 1. Your focus should be on the concept of the design not on how it works so to speak, 2. Make it look like you have an interest in design 3. Layout and design related content are way more important than a load of text so dont write things for the sake of writing them, explain and justify your ideas then leave it at that.

After that its up to ye, have fun with your idea while presenting it in the most professional manner possible. I dont envy yer topic, yes its not great but we all thought the same bout our lecturns and secretly i think we all learned to love them.

If ye've any questions or anything pm me or reply. G'luck.

Jesus didn't realise that was such an essay, hopefully someone gets something out of it.

Advertisement