Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow/learner sessions

Options
  • 31-10-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I'm looking for group sessions for inexperienced players.

For myself, i can only attend such sessions on Mondays. I am based in Tallaght. All help gladly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 splortz

But alas, we're in San Anselmo, California.

The good news is we're moving to Dublin in 248 days, approximately.:)

Is there any chance you could START a group? That's what we did, going on three years now. We start at 7pm, and always have some dish prepared for the anticipated guests. Nothing fancy, mind you. But because people are often coming from work directly to the session, they have no time to eat.
    The bottom line is that you will benefit from this as much as anyone, and you don't have to drive anywhere. They come to you!
    On our arrival in Dublin we'll be putting together another slow play group.

Good luck in any case and keep playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 myshka

the cobblestone has slow sessions on monday night, just go and talk to the guys they are very welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

hey Kathleen,
    Im also interested in starting playing again. Havent played in few years now but determined to start again. Maybe we can get a few together, im on the southside aswell!

Drop me a PM if your interested or post on here.

See if we can get something going.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

Nice ideas there about getting something started but i don't really have the time at the moment to organise anything. Still might be interested in being part of a new session gathering at sometime though. :)

myshka - thank you for the info. I gave the Cobblestone a call today and their learner/slow sessions start at 8.30pm on Wednesdays in the 'back room'. Run by Jacqui Martin, an experienced piper.

They also have sessions on almost every night and it's definitely worth calling in for a listen. Hopefully I can join in sometime soon. :)

Thanks again everyone :)

The learner sessions in the Cobblestone, as mentioned above are held on Wednesday Nights in the back room at 8.30 until about 10 or 10.30. Everyone is very nice and welcoming. It's 20euro a month or 5euro a night. They have a set list that they work off too. Jacqui Martin who leads the group teaches a new tune every few weeks that can be added to the set list. They also occasionally organise trips out to meet up with other learner groups.

Beforehand and after you can enjoy the music and song of the session in the front of the pub.

It's well worth going there. I'd highly recommend it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Slow sessions?? Playing slow is grand whether you are an experienced player or beginner imo .Speed kills the music in a lot of tunes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

20silkcut wrote: »
    Slow sessions?? Playing slow is grand whether you are an experienced player or beginner imo .Speed kills the music in a lot of tunes.

Oh come on, there's slow and there's slow, playing jigs and reels for an entire session at the speed of slow airs would kill any session. These slow sessions are meant for people to learn, it doesn't mean they want to stay at that speed for the rest of their lives. I agree that some people play too fast to a point where the tunes loose their appeal. But we're not talking about that level with these slow learner sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Blade wrote: »
    20silkcut wrote: »

Oh come on, there's slow and there's slow, playing jigs and reels for an entire session at the speed of slow airs would kill any session. These slow sessions are meant for people to learn, it doesn't mean they want to stay at that speed for the rest of their lives. I agree that some people play too fast to a point where the tunes loose their appeal. But we're not talking about that level with these slow learner sessions.

I just don't think speed or tempo indicate proficiency in Irish music. They should just call these sessions 'starter sessions' or beginner sessions. "slow session" is a very clumsy name with lots of possible negative over tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Anyone aware of beginner or slow sessions in Kerry.

T,

Hi Tigertim http://tradconnect.com

I've only just discovered this site and someone there might be able to help you. Best of luck and enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

Ceoltóirí Chluain Tarbh run classes and slow sessions for learning and improving adults on the Northside. These take place in the Artane Beaumont Family Recreation Centre on Tuesday evenings. Full details here.

Clontarf is a bit far for me but great to keep the info going.

I'm considering starting a session on monday nights in the Arás Chronaín in Clondalkin. The aim is to get novice and intermediates into session experience.

Anyone interrested - please let me know - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 josey W

Hi There, does anyone know of any good slow session in the Terenure/Templeogue area or does anyone have any interest in setting one up, ie traditional Irish music, Comhaltas type music and other trad

Cheers

josey W wrote: »
    Hi There, does anyone know of any good slow session in the Terenure/Templeogue area or does anyone have any interest in setting one up, ie traditional Irish music, Comhaltas type music and other trad

Cheers

I know its not terenure but there's a slow session on Thursdays in the Aras Chronain. Free and friendly. Last week, a tune was played that I hadn't heard and someone kindly popped upstairs and photocopied the music for me.
    What nights are you free? I'm interested in getting together with relatively local people to play a few tunes.

Advertisement