Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

hubba wrote: »
    When I first quit I wanted to be able to see achievement and progress as the days/weeks went on so I made a simple list with 'challenges' on the left, and an empty column on the right and every time I got through a 'first' I'd fill in DONE. Seems a bit simplistic but 9 months later I still look at it for a boost. Example:

Lunch with colleagues DONE
    Night out with colleagues DONE
    A hen night DONE
    A wedding DONE
    holiday abroad DONE
    Company Christmas Party DONE
    Night out with X (old drinking buddy) DONE
    Night out with Y (alco family member) DONE
    Dinner with someone new DONE

Each of the above was nerve racking, some more than others, but I had various survival strategies for each one like arriving late and/or, leaving early, escaping to hotel room during long wedding for a breather etc. And now that I've done them all once (some more than) I know I can do them again, but with more confidence.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share!

Well done hubba :) Thanks for sharing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

Have finally done the 30 days and more than likely do the rest of lent and then take stock of the situation

How good i fell right now abstaining is absolutely unbelievable,my fitness has never been as good,have started a new course which is going well and even though work is a struggle at the minute without the hangovers every problem is manageable as doesnt seem as big a problem.

I feel more confident and more outgoing without alcohol because I dont have the paranoia surrounding me about what I did or said.

The biggest issue I always had was going for a session after a football match with my friends but have gladly sat in a pub drinking mineral and let them drink away without a thought of going near it.To be fair to them they never put pressure on because there is a couple of the players in the team who dont drink anymore because they had problems with it

What gets me through is these situations is that i sit back and just think to myself that even though there in great form now you never see these people the next day because there in bad form and thats what drives me.If i do be in bad form theres never anybody there to pick up the horrible feeling that I have

Also Im getting my relationship back on track with my ex and really want to put in every effort with her after 10 months apart where my problems with alcohol played a major part

Thanks for listening

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

Thanks for the info hubba definitely gonna gove that a go, anything constructive helps appreciate you sharing the advice.

Well done seanrose thats great staying off it for as long, but be careful from reading the stories here and from experience it can easily happen that you fall back into it.

Have you tried AA for that added support. I'm off the sauce now 10 days and have gone to AA twice in that time and find it very benefical and really makes me think twice when I get cravings.

JonBon27 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info hubba definitely gonna gove that a go, anything constructive helps appreciate you sharing the advice.

Well done seanrose thats great staying off it for as long, but be careful from reading the stories here and from experience it can easily happen that you fall back into it.

Have you tried AA for that added support. I'm off the sauce now 10 days and have gone to AA twice in that time and find it very benefical and really makes me think twice when I get cravings.

I never take anything for granted and have gone back to my old ways before but something tells me this time is different.

Good look with your mission jonboy,havent tried aa but at the minute the course im doing is an introduction to counselling skills course so im hoping that will give me more strength in the battle

I was never a constant drinker but anytime i did drink i was a disaster so the urges never really bother me.

Just to remind everyone so nothing is said by a mod that we're not allowed to discuss any form of treatment in detail as the forum cannot be put into a position that it is liable for such a thing. Some of the stuff mentioned has worked for me and I do agree but we can't discuss it openly as per the forum charter. For people just off the drink you'll figure out why we can't in time.

Best of luck to everyone anyway. Just use this thread to share how long you're off it and how you're getting on in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Sounds like you have a good grip on it, Seanrose. Well done and just keep it up. Very wise too on your opinion on people in 'good form' in pubs. You just never know what's really going on with people.

If they truly ARE in good form, drink shouldn't get the credit for that. Maybe they had a great day, worked hard to achieve something or maybe they are just happy to be meeting up with their friends or family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'm coming up to 80 days :eek::o:p

No intention of going back on it either. Was tough at first, but I don't even notice it now.

A friend I hadn't seen in a while bought me a glass of wine at the weekend and I politely declined and swapped it for a non-alcoholic drink.

Not quite sure if she forgot or just presumed I was back on it. :D

Can't stress enough how much better my life is at the moment and how much happier I am. I haven't felt this good in years!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

3 weeks roughly, might not seem alot, was drinking way too much and got into one of those crappy cycles

trying to knock it for good, feel much better but my sleep pattern is messed up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Hey Everyone
    Havnt drank since Christmas. My reasons are im on lot of medication at moment, and i cant cope with hangovers, plus i dont really go out that much anyway.

Only thing im finding frustrating is the complete shock and nosiness of people when you order non alcoholic stuff. Its like im an alien or something and i dont want to tell them what medication im on!!

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    3 weeks roughly, might not seem alot, was drinking way too much and got into one of those crappy cycles

trying to knock it for good, feel much better but my sleep pattern is messed up :rolleyes:

Exercise & improve your diet if it can be improved. Had the same problem but after about a month I was fine. I've lost 3 stone since October from not drinking, exercising regularly & improving my diet(although it still needs improvement!). If I can do it anyone can do it.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone
    Havnt drank since Christmas. My reasons are im on lot of medication at moment, and i cant cope with hangovers, plus i dont really go out that much anyway.

Only thing im finding frustrating is the complete shock and nosiness of people when you order non alcoholic stuff. Its like im an alien or something and i dont want to tell them what medication im on!!

I think I have been really fortunate as I haven't come up against that yet. If anyone has said 'don't you drink?' I simply say 'not anymore - am much better off it' and then change the subject.

I think some people like to make a point, so if you act as if it isn't a big deal, then it ceases to become a talking point.

If they harp on about it, just remember it is their problem - not yours ;)

I'm coming up to 80 days :eek::o:p

No intention of going back on it either. Was tough at first, but I don't even notice it now.

A friend I hadn't seen in a while bought me a glass of wine at the weekend and I politely declined and swapped it for a non-alcoholic drink.

Not quite sure if she forgot or just presumed I was back on it. :D

Can't stress enough how much better my life is at the moment and how much happier I am. I haven't felt this good in years!:p

That's fantastic, Sunflower27, well done!

hubba wrote: »
    That's fantastic, Sunflower27, well done!

Thanks Hubba :)

My mind is clearer, I am making far better decisions and am able to 100% stand by them.

I have commenced some training in a volunteer field I have always been interested in and have met some FANTASTIC people :D

I have applied for a scholarship (fingers crossed).

Everything in my life now seems totally manageable - i love it and am just going to keep going now. No turning back to the way I was. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Exercise & improve your diet if it can be improved. Had the same problem but after about a month I was fine. I've lost 3 stone since October from not drinking, exercising regularly & improving my diet(although it still needs improvement!). If I can do it anyone can do it.

Hey thanks for the post.

The problem is I have a high Metabolism so I never put on any weight when I was drinking, I was always pretty skinny. If I start to loose even more weight I`ll be on the beanpole skinny factor and I don't want that :)

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the post.

The problem is I have a high Metabolism so I never put on any weight when I was drinking, I was always pretty skinny. If I start to loose even more weight I`ll be on the beanpole skinny factor and I don't want that :)

Well then just the exercise. It will help in a big way with the sleeping. I wasn't huge either but I was slightly over weight. With all the abuse I done to my body I deserved to be 20 stone but got away with just being under 17 when I stopped back in October.

• Advertisement

37 days in now,wasnt even tempted over paddys weekend and feel all the better for it today,was working the weekend and chilled out then in the evening time and feel well rested while im sure most of the population feel still hungover today

people have said to me think of all the money your saving but you know what i still have no money at the end of the week,seems to disappear down a big hole.

I am starting to get a real hatred of pubs and even the thought of going into one gives me the shivers,just feel now like it has a fake sense of enjoyment but hope i can overcome it because i dont want to turn into a recluse either

seanrose wrote: »
    37 days in now,wasnt even tempted over paddys weekend and feel all the better for it today,was working the weekend and chilled out then in the evening time and feel well rested while im sure most of the population feel still hungover today

people have said to me think of all the money your saving but you know what i still have no money at the end of the week,seems to disappear down a big hole.

I am starting to get a real hatred of pubs and even the thought of going into one gives me the shivers,just feel now like it has a fake sense of enjoyment but hope i can overcome it because i dont want to turn into a recluse either

Well done. I'm the same keep spending money on ****e haha! Ah well better that then on nothing to show for it except a hangover. I'll be off it 6 months in 10 days

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone

I think I have been really fortunate as I haven't come up against that yet. If anyone has said 'don't you drink?' I simply say 'not anymore - am much better off it' and then change the subject.

I think some people like to make a point, so if you act as if it isn't a big deal, then it ceases to become a talking point.

If they harp on about it, just remember it is their problem - not yours ;)
    What I'm finding annoying is the people that won't say no. The have a drink brigade . Have a drink
    Me no thanks
    Just one?
    No thanks I'm on anti biotics
    One won't hurt
    No thanks
    Just one go on!!!!

It's frustrating

well done kag,yeah i dont worry bout the money part as its true when they say your health your wealth especially when it comes to you mental state.

17 days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Aish_ie

Hello Looking for some advice. I need to know if there are any AA meetings which target young people mid 20's ?

Aish_ie wrote: »
    Hello Looking for some advice. I need to know if there are any AA meetings which target young people mid 20's ?

We not allowed by boards rules to give advice about AA meetings or any other groups such as life ring which help people with alcohol problems for young people ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SandraNiD

30 days.

had a serious drink problem a few years back. did a stint in bushy park and then was able to ''moderate it''

knocked it on the head sort of over the past year only drinking sporadically. fell off the wagon after christmas.

came to a head a few weeks ago.

30 days clean now. it's my birthday this sunday and hopefully I can stay out of the dreaded cycle and stay clean.

long road to recovery has begun.

''So in the end, was it worth it Jesus Christ. How irreparably changed my life has become. It's always the last days of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in. I'll grant you I've had more than my share of poignant moments. Life passes most people by when they're busy making grand plans for it. Throughout my lifetime I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there's almost barely enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door.''

well done sandra

when you say moderate it do you mean stopping drinking to excess thus stopping the blackouts or where you still unable to control drinking to excess.

i hope you do stay out of the cycle and what i would say is enjoy your birthday because if you wake up on monday morning with another hangover it will ruin the memories of your birthday.

I would be a sporadic drinker as well but when i do drink i drink to excess,would love to be one of the person that knows when they have had enough but for the time being enjoy my alcohol free life (46 days today).hopefully some day i might have a healthy relationship with alcohol that i know when to stop and stop the blackouts but know that day may never come

good luck sandra and have a good birthday,think of something you always wanted to do and treat yourself and do it for your birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aish_ie

realies wrote: »
    Aish_ie wrote: »

We not allowed by boards rules to give advice about AA meetings or any other groups such as life ring which help people with alcohol problems for young people ;)
    Ok ty I didn't know that 25 year old to me is young but not a teenager 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SandraNiD

thanks for your encouraging words sean.

When I say ''moderate'' I was still drinking very heavily. tbh was probably just fooling myself thinking I had it under control

I know I won't drink this weekend for my birthday.

I know I've said it before, but I'm done with that lifestyle now. I can't do it anymore.

Feel great atm, a sober mind is a healthy mind and a strong mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Today will be a year off drink for me! I posted about it back on page 3 before ;).

I am so happy I've come this far. Still a young lad (24 this year), but I had great fun, even without the drink.

I only intended on doing this for a year and see how I got on after that. I've found some new interests which don't involve getting pissed, so that's great. Don't know if I'll ever go back to it, but we shall see!

This ISN'T an April Fool's joke, I just happened to give up on April 1st last year :D.

Oh well done Marcus, it must be particularly challenging at your age so I am full of admiration. Really, well done indeed. You are an inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭RingTheAlarm!

Well done Marcus!
    Have been off it for Lent, longest that I have been off it (including Paddy's Day) in about 5 years I'd say. I honestly don't miss it at all. The only thing that I find hard now is if I am in a pub I would be very tempted to have a pint of Guinness. Apart from that it has been fine, I feel much better already and look a bit healthier even. Hopefully this will help encourage some of my friends to do the same thing, every time my friends want to meet up alcohol seems like an obligation in order to get people out... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Thank you very much to both hubba, RingTheAlarm! and anyone who thanked my post. It means a lot guys! Appreciate it.

Good look with your journey RingTheAlarm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Had my last drink on holidays in Boston on 30th Nov 2010. I wasn't an alcoholic by any means but I definitely did the same amount of drinking as most Irish lads my age (along with other drugs when I was in my early 20s which I no longer do either).

I'm 26 now and I'm very happy with life. I have a job that I love (I don't even consider it a job to be honest, it's my life) that I never would have progressed in to the point I'm at now if I didn't stop drinking.

The extra cash I have from now from not drinking allows me to afford have my own place to live. I also eat really well and regularly spend money on nice new clothes that I like :)

I still go out on the weekends quite a bit (I'm actually going out with about 10 of the lads tonight) and still enjoy myself. I suppose I'm fortunate enough to have had friends that never questioned me or pressured me when I told them I had stopped drinking. I'm also fortunate enough that being around drunk people doesn't really bother me that much unless they are absolutely **** faced.

Also, a tip I can give to anyone who is considering not drinking but who finds themselves in the pub being offered a drink...don't say "I'm off the drink". That will just result in people trying to force a pint into your hand. Always say "I don't drink". People accept that a lot easier :)

56 days done

i said id do lent and have done it for the first time,that meant missing out on a few nights but dont mind that

planning at the minute to go out tonight but dont know if i will drink or not,if i do i want to keep it in moderation and not have the same episodes i had before and waking up tomorrow not remembering a thing

have spent a while reading up the drink aware website and will do my best to listen to the tips

56 days done

i said id do lent and have done it for the first time,that meant missing out on a few nights but dont mind that

planning at the minute to go out tonight but dont know if i will drink or not,if i do i want to keep it in moderation and not have the same episodes i had before and waking up tomorrow not remembering a thing

have spent a while reading up the drink aware website and will do my best to listen to the tips

Great work Seanrose, do what you feel is best for yourself :)

thanks realies

have been here before in this situation and it hasnt work but feel confident and know that being drunk does nothing for my personality

but hopefully actions can speak louder than words this time

Was 6 months on Thursday. Feeling great one day at a time! ;)

Great work KaG ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

40 days lads!!!
    finally starting to come out of that alcohol brain fog!

56 days done

well ended up going out and did moderate,went to a mates house and had a few tins and then on to a disco for a few hours,no blackouts or anything and can remember the whole night but yesterday was a waste of a day,couldnt settle between the couch or the bed and just snoozed all day and couldnt sleep then last night,awake from 3 in the morning

for anybody thinking that there missing out on anything out there by being off the drink,youre not missing anything apart from the hangovers

have training tonight so hopefully sweat everything out of me tonight and get back my normal sleeping routine tonight

dont know whats in store now but dont know if i want another absincthe from it but see how the next week goes

I had half a glass of wine last week and even then I threw it out as I didn't like taste. Think I'm just going to go off it for good now. I went from Christmas to end of march no problem.
    I got the usual though on Sunday , so in the end I just said I don't drink.

• Advertisement

well ended up going out and did moderate,went to a mates house and had a few tins and then on to a disco for a few hours,no blackouts or anything and can remember the whole night but yesterday was a waste of a day,couldnt settle between the couch or the bed and just snoozed all day and couldnt sleep then last night,awake from 3 in the morning

for anybody thinking that there missing out on anything out there by being off the drink,youre not missing anything apart from the hangovers

have training tonight so hopefully sweat everything out of me tonight and get back my normal sleeping routine tonight

dont know whats in store now but dont know if i want another absincthe from it but see how the next week goes

Hi seanrose, to me and this is my personel opinon that effects me, moderating is something that people without an alcohol problem can do. I was never take it or leave it. I found out that moderating was just me tricking myself into thinking that I was doing something about the problem. We can be very clever when we are convincing ourselves that certain situations "need" alcohol involved.

Moderating for me was just another rabbit hole. It was my drinking problem's revenge for me admitting that the problem was there. When I was "moderating" I was always thinking about the second and third drink when I was on my first, feeling deprived. Then every once in a while, I would "reward" myself for "moderating" by blowing a whole weekend on binging. Then the guilt would reappear and I would have to get back to "moderating.:o So even though I have met a very small few people who can moderate it certainally never could be for me,Hopefully and I say this with truth you can do it if that is what you want,great job on your work so far :) and keep us informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RMIrish24

Hi Guys,
    Well don't know what really to be saying on this site, I am trying to give up the drink as it really doesnt suit me and I have blackouts most nights Im drinking which is not good! I cant just have one drink, im constantly thinking of the next drink! I tried going to AA but it was full of people alot older than me, im in my late 20s n a girl! I feel that I am a binge drinker, i dont drink during the week but when friday comes id be on bender until sunday! Which i know myself is not right! I have taken myself outta the pub scene with work colleagues as I think they have seen enough of my drunken antics to last a lifetime! It is just such a social aspect of my life, and real struggle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Moderating worked for me until the second drink. After that, if I go for another then I know that I'd have around 5 or 6 pints before the night is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RMIrish24

my problem is I wouldnt stop at 5/6 id drink until i was absolutely smashed! Spend easily 200euro a night!

41 days and counting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Hi Everyone,

I am posting because I feel lost at the moment. Because we can't talk about outside help which enabled us to realise that drinking is a muggs game, I will just say that I went on this holiday which guaranteed that I would not be in the vacinity of a pint for 6 weeks. It was a great boost to me but I heard people say that all your problems wouldnt be problems anymore in time and that the low moods you had would disappear because it was actually your drinking that was causing it.

After my lovely holiday, the reassurance I got lasted about a week but now in the cold light of day, I realise that all my problems still exist. It was suggested that I go to talk to someone to get my problems off my chest. This I do, but the negative feelings don't go away. I was spending about 30-50 euro on drink every week and I put down my lack of money to that. Thing is, I now pay 70 euro per week to talk to someone and it doesnt seem to do anything except cost more money.

There are these discussion groups ;) that I attended but I am not driving now so cannot get to the groups anymore. Also, I hate the stigma of the A word and my husband is always throwing that in my face. If it was just drink causing me to feel depressed, then why do I still feel that way now? I will be 4 months since I last had a drink next tuesday and as far as I can see, things have only gotten worse for me. I am having more problems in work than I ever did when I was coming in with a hangover. In fact, they used to always tell me that I was brilliant and promising me promotions and extensions of my contract. My financial difficulties are still there. I dont feel like I am getting any support and some days I wonder "is this all life is"?

People talk about this amazing honeymoon period that happens once you stop and mean to stay stopped drinking. When will this kick in?

Sorry for being so pessimistic. Does anyone ever feel like nothing has changed since they stopped and they were expecting everything to change? Since stopping, I never crave any sort of drink. Sometimes on a hot day when things are looking rozy I will think - today is a perfect day for a glass of prosecco at a wedding but never have I thought of going into a shop and buying anything. This was my biggest fear at the start but it never happened.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Hi Everyone,

I am posting because I feel lost at the moment. Because we can't talk about outside help which enabled us to realise that drinking is a muggs game, I will just say that I went on this holiday which guaranteed that I would not be in the vacinity of a pint for 6 weeks. It was a great boost to me but I heard people say that all your problems wouldnt be problems anymore in time and that the low moods you had would disappear because it was actually your drinking that was causing it.

After my lovely holiday, the reassurance I got lasted about a week but now in the cold light of day, I realise that all my problems still exist. It was suggested that I go to talk to someone to get my problems off my chest. This I do, but the negative feelings don't go away. I was spending about 30-50 euro on drink every week and I put down my lack of money to that. Thing is, I now pay 70 euro per week to talk to someone and it doesnt seem to do anything except cost more money.

There are these discussion groups ;) that I attended but I am not driving now so cannot get to the groups anymore. Also, I hate the stigma of the A word and my husband is always throwing that in my face. If it was just drink causing me to feel depressed, then why do I still feel that way now? I will be 4 months since I last had a drink next tuesday and as far as I can see, things have only gotten worse for me. I am having more problems in work than I ever did when I was coming in with a hangover. In fact, they used to always tell me that I was brilliant and promising me promotions and extensions of my contract. My financial difficulties are still there. I dont feel like I am getting any support and some days I wonder "is this all life is"?

People talk about this amazing honeymoon period that happens once you stop and mean to stay stopped drinking. When will this kick in?

Sorry for being so pessimistic. Does anyone ever feel like nothing has changed since they stopped and they were expecting everything to change? Since stopping, I never crave any sort of drink. Sometimes on a hot day when things are looking rozy I will think - today is a perfect day for a glass of prosecco at a wedding but never have I thought of going into a shop and buying anything. This was my biggest fear at the start but it never happened.

Cheers

I don't mean to joke at your expense, but are you the type of person who see's the glass as always being half empty?

I promised to never drink again last Monday, purely because I started to think that it was a waste of my time and money. I immediately felt good about giving something up, then started giving up other things and reducing others. I don't play on the playstation as much as I used to and I can get work done much more easily.

I think that your problem is that you aren't taking full advantage of the fact that you've just kicked alcohol entirely. Have you even given yourself a pat on the back for giving something up?

And you should try to pick up a new hobby too, to distract you from any vices you may have. I started to play the harmonica, for example.

I feel your pain emma

i have said so many times on this thread that life is a bitch at times but alcohol doesnt make it any easier and suffering with hangovers make things in life seem so harder and tougher to overcome and alcohol does not make these problems go away but at least i know that i can deal with them better and with a clear head

theres no magic wand in life that makes problems disappear

Does anyone ever feel like nothing has changed since they stopped and they were expecting everything to change?
    na dont honestly thing i expect anything to change,i had said in an earlie post that my ex and i were trying to see where things were gonna go between us but it hasnt and im fine with that,i need to put that in the past and continue with my rehabilition

all i can say emma is if you where to go drinking today and end up plastered and hungover tomorrow how will you be feeling tomorrow,just ask yourself will it make you feel any better and will your problems have disappeared

I posted this before, it says a lot.............................

When I ditched the booze I thought

My life would change....

I would become happier, more confident, everything would slot into place, my troubles would be over, I would be on easy street, Nothing would worry me or upset me, life would be a piece of cake, my brain would work differently, I would be happy all the time, I would no longer have depression or sad thoughts, I would have a wonderful life, people would applaud me, fanfares would sound and angels would sing..

NOTHING prepared me for the brutal reality that this wasn't the case.
    I felt cheated and disappointed and somewhat angry that I had put in all the work to kick booze and I didn't feel any different, my life was NOT any better, and yes I wondered why I even bothered...what was the bloody point..you were meant to feel better..right?? It was meant to get better? Life was meant to change.....

It didn't except for...

My clear head in the mornings and the feel of clarity on waking...

No hangovers, headaches and sick tummy..

No flashbacks of things said and done and no cringe factor upon remembering.

The bedtime stories now told lovingly to my grandchildren instead of the excuses as to why I couldnt read them as I had to go and relax with first drink of the evening or the pub.

The money I have saved by not buying alcohol and smokes.

The compliments I have received telling me how well I look.

The feeling of freedom knowing that alcohol has no hold over me, I have broken free of its power and I am living independant of it.

The problems that are there are now being dealt with and not swept under the carpet in a drunken haze.

The little pieces of me that emerge day to day...new pieces of my personality that have been stifled by alcohol.

The feeling of LIVING and not just drifting along from day to day doing the same old thing and expecting different results.

The feeling of acomplishment, and getting to like myself again ( I am not at the loving myself bit yet but still working on it, we are all a work in progress)

The knowledge that, although I felt like a fish out of water the first few times I went out socially, it is slowly but surely getting much better and easier to handle and when I look around and see some of the antics going on , I feel blessed that I have made the decision not to be the ringleader any more.

The chance to FEEL........I mean really feel...all my emotions...without the crippling distorted illusion of alcohol..I can identify my feelings and deal with them accordingly.

And finally the realisation that my problems are still there, money worries still present, sadness, fear and confusion are with me on a regular basis...BUT I can deal with them now...feel them, understand them and know why I am feeling this way..instead of burying them or intensifying them with the help of alcohol.

In conclusion....life is not all sweetness and light, not the perfect world I did expect it to be..but it is a Utopia in comparison to the one I was existing in and for that I will be eternally grateful.

great post realies

can agree that all my problems are still present but can deal with them better

sometimes feel what is the point in going off it but im not the person that people are laughling at any more being the clown or the paranoia that exists on a monday morning

but realies how do you now deal with the past and the mistakes that you made while having problems with alcohol,i accept the mistakes i have made in the past but why is it that my past will still come back to haunt me and i cant seem to sake off this noos around my neck

great post realies

can agree that all my problems are still present but can deal with them better

sometimes feel what is the point in going off it but im not the person that people are laughling at any more being the clown or the paranoia that exists on a monday morning

but realies how do you now deal with the past and the mistakes that you made while having problems with alcohol,i accept the mistakes i have made in the past but why is it that my past will still come back to haunt me and i cant seem to sake off this noos around my neck

Seanrose what's behind you is done. There is nothing that you can do to change what has happened, and I know from experience that dwelling on mistakes of the past does nothing but crush the spirit and waste any positive energy that we may have. I don't ever want to forget my past though. It's important to me. It is part of my make-up and I have had some wonderful times with some beautiful people and I've also had some darker times, when I thought there was little to do but fade away.Learn from your past but dont live in it. Keep moving forward :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement