Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Fieldwork Booklet Word Count

Options
  • 12-01-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all :) I'm just wondering, do you lose marks if you exceed the maximum word count in your Geography fieldwork booklet? It says at the beginning that you should not write more than the given amount but does not indicate if this will affect marks. Any replies would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Comments

As far as I know you should keep as close to the 1000 (if I remember correctly) as you can. Be strict with yourself because the examiner doesn't want to be reading long, unnecessary sentences that could be shorter.
    You should be honest though. If your report is 1100 but you just write 1000 on the front, the examiner may notice and they'll probably be stricter on that. That said, you should really cut it down if it is 100 words over.
    In the end, mine was 1,008 and I just wrote that down and I got 94/100 in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Thank you so much for your help ! :) I'm just filling the space given for each section but yet it still seems to be far too many words, so I might have to go back and shorten some of it :) do you know if words such as "I" are also counted as words? Thanks again :)

Mcd2812 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your help ! :) I'm just filling the space given for each section but yet it still seems to be far too many words, so I might have to go back and shorten some of it :) do you know if words such as "I" are also counted as words? Thanks again :)

Pretty sure every word counts, including headings.

You should look up and see if you can find a marking scheme for it. I found one once and could never find it again. It was really helpful in telling me how I should lay my project out as it showed you where you were getting marks.
    For example, your project must have 2 graphs, each worth 10 marks.

Pretty sure every word counts, including headings.

You should look up and see if you can find a marking scheme for it. I found one once and could never find it again. It was really helpful in telling me how I should lay my project out as it showed you where you were getting marks.
    For example, your project must have 2 graphs, each worth 10 marks.

Thanks for clarifying! :) I'll try that, thanks! Thanks again for all your help! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

We were told they allow 25% over and under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

An examiner is not going to count the words unless your pages look like they're crammed or you've written outside of the lined spaces. Keep it neat and brief, and it'll be grand. (I have that from VERY good authority) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Got 100% with far more than 1000 words and I just put down 1000 words on the front cover. Just make sure it's laid out perfectly so that the examiner can mark it quickly

Thanks so much for your replies, boogle and oncex, I really appreciate your reassurance! :) at what point do you find out how many marks you got in the booklet? Is it not until August? Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

You won't find out what you got for the GI unless you apply to view your script. You just get an overall grade for Geography when you get your results.

Advertisement