Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Student Assignment 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 brendantuffy

Mdeane wrote: »
    Jesus didn't realise that was such an essay

any chance of a summary concentration isn't my high point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

well lads how are the projects coming along?
    I'm doing my part b with a new concept of nature but im still not sure if im happy with the final design. What are you lads up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

finished my solidworks today thankfully. Not happy with my bottle either tho but am thinking they can hardly take marks away for a 'bad design'. Like as long as your bottle isnt outrageously impossible to work or isnt incredible stupid it cant be a bad bottle can it??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yayakolo

I've just started my compare and contast.:eek: Im so far behind:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

yayakolo wrote: »

What have you been doing in class since the brief came out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

yayakolo wrote: »

well done.... ur doin well ;)

I have my solidworks stuff almost done:). what did everyone do for adjustments? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

One week to go.. I'd say it's time to make a start xD don't worry, I've got this.. I'll go down the modification route since I've a few improvement ideas. Doesn't necessarily need to be erratic in comparison to other designs, it's how you make do with design/function elements and implementing them into your given design. That's my take.

printing up tomorrow but no sketches done! :O I followed the marking scheme line for line and put huge effort into my bottle I hope to god I get an A from this subject because I really need it.

Pressure is creeping up on me,i hope to be scanned and binded by wednesday. I made the bottle as complex as i could have made it and now sketching it is not going to be fun but once im finishe this project i will be chuffed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 soupyryan13

Jeez Guys the pressure is on now went into school today to get some more done but my god I'm feelin the pressure... My second bottle was based on a rugby ball with a kicking tee for the lid but it's turning out to be a bit more difficult than i thought. Looks like there will plenty of late nights in school ahead...

It doesn't need to be as complex as you may think. You'd be surprised to see what projects get A grades; if you follow the marking scheme you'll be perfectly fine. Less is more. That's 110% of what they're looking for. I'll have to enquire about the examination numbers on the project, since I'm an external candidate. Last year we put our name & DOB on the cover page (and maybe our exam numbers on the disc).

I still have all my sketching and a mood board to do for part b. might be doing an all-nighter on Thursday :L

Everything done except renders for final bottle which take >60 mins because there is 42 parts :L im becoming so stressed though because i feel im going to lose marks somewhere

With 42 parts, you've only increased your chances of screwing up somewhere by probably 400% (major approximation)! They can only allocate so many marks; basically degraded each parts worth by 4, on average. Don't stress, there's nothing worse. It's only a feckin' bottle ;D I'll be in the school computer lab until the kick me out tomorrow evening.

I have around 11, of which 5 were taken from Part A. Still have sketches to do, SW is done. 13-14 HD renders took me a good while! Probably unnecessary, could've passed with 800x600.

Put in a good exam and you'll be fine regardless of how you do in the project, you're bound to score reasonably well if you followed the minimum requirements.

See one of the parts is revovled around and i used circular pattern so it takes up 36 :L i printed and binded today one of the slides came out just alright but sure what can ya do? I doubt they can take marks off me for a dodgy printer. Handing up everything tomorrow to get it done with,followed the marking scheme and done everything they told me so im praying for an A1

lads whats the deal with the pdf version of your file? my school does not have an a3 scanner so will just pictures of the pages do?

Ah right that makes more sense. They won't, they'll have a .PDF version of your project regardless. Make it your business to get it scanned and saved as a .PDF (at some book/stationary store perhaps), I'm staying up all night to get it done for tomorrow since I have a huge number of study periods tomorrow. I'll sleep on the floor, in the corner of the computer room lol.

Doing all my sketches now :) should be a fun night. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Donalc701

ive left out the reference page on the pdf file, any ideas how much marks i will be deducted

• Advertisement

Its done thanks be to ****

Done, for the second time. I've yet to get my exam number though.. now I can sleep!

Exo wrote: »
    Done, for the second time. I've yet to get my exam number though.. now I can sleep!

No one has their exam numbers thats why they are not being posted away today

A guy who attends my DCG class externally has his exam number already and has it plastered across his cover page, I guess it depends between individual schools/institutions.

Applications are open from Monday, I might get it soon after registration.

Exo wrote: »
    A guy who attends my DCG class externally has his exam number already and has it plastered across his cover page, I guess it depends between individual schools/institutions.

Strange. Nothing has been given to schools to post away the materials. 2 years ago when the exam numbers were out by the deadline envelopes were in schools on the deadline day and had to be post stamped on that day. Last year and this year they have not been posted until mid Feb due to the exam numbers not being available in time.

I got mine during the week off the school

must be on the way so in bits and pieces because I checked today with exams secretary and we have nothing. Makes no difference whether you have it or not now you will have it before its posted away either way

We just have our printed projects stored in an envelope with the discs, from this afternoon. I'd imagine they'd just write it on the disc, they did the same last year - however the teacher made us put our name & DOB on the project; talk about potential bias towards the marking.

They'll be posted within a few weeks, most likely.

That was the instructions to schools last year to put name and DOB. I did the same this year due to lack of any guidance materials this year. Any projects in any subject that are corrected in house are accompanied by your name e.g. Woodwork and Construction Studies. It happens more than you would think.
    It makes absolutly no difference they will be corrected properly either way as they are moderated

• Advertisement

The SEC destroyed the batch of discs from my school (and I'd imagine many others) last year, and had to supply new copies during the LC. I was so worked up right before one of my exams after hearing about that since my finalised version was not on the computer I worked on and sent off an unknown dodgy version; a work in progress folder.

This year they have not given instructions to do the same, so I'd say writing the number on the disc & printed project would suffice.

Advertisement