Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

History Essay Topics?

• 13-08-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

*First of all I'm just new here so I apologise if this is the wrong place to start a thread! D: *

I'll be going into Leaving Cert this year and I'm taking history as an extra subject (We weren't able to do it in school so we take classes outside school hours) and over the summer we were meant to start working on our project booklets/essays. I've been busy with work and holidays, so I was going to use the remainder of August to work on this essay.

The problem is, I've had a lot of ideas, but none of them are especially easy to find information on! Our essays are meant to be on something before the 1990s, but can be from anytime, anywhere after that.

My issue is that I'm not as interested in local/Irish history as I would be with other topics, and I'm finding it difficult to find resources aside from websites.
    (We were encouraged to use the library/National Archives etc,) but seeing as I'd like to do something from around Renaissance times, for example, this isn't much good to me.

Even worse, I can't seem to settle on a topic! Here are my ideas so far:

-The Pazzi Conspiracy - Pazzi family conspired to kill the Medicis, partially successful but ended in public outrage and execution

-The Glico Morinaga Case - Unsolved case of blackmail of a confectionry company in Japan, resulting in ransoms and suicide

-Robespierre's Last Days - When Robespierre brought in an act, meaning that his associates could be executed too (I'm summarising this alot, sorry! ^^; ), they turned against him and he is captured trying to flee. He was executed the next day.

-The Beast of Gevaudan - A large wolf terrorises a rural French region, exclusively attacking and killing people. Hysteria as people believe it's a werewolf of sorts, believing it can rise from the dead.

-The Mongol Siege of Caffa - The Mongols weaponised the Bubonic Plague here, catapulting the afflicted bodies over the walls in order to infect/kill their enemies

-William Patrick Stuart-Houston - Alleged spy for the British during WW2 . . and Hitler's nephew. Had to be kept close as he threatened to spill the beans about their Jewish ancestry.

This is just a brief description of each, I'm sorry if some of them are a little obscure! I was wondering which topic would be the best to go with/would yield the most information.
    Alternatively, if all of my ideas are rubbish (don't hesitate o tell me if they are xD !), could you suggest some topics that would make good essays?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

*First of all I'm just new here so I apologise if this is the wrong place to start a thread! D: *

I'll be going into Leaving Cert this year and I'm taking history as an extra subject (We weren't able to do it in school so we take classes outside school hours) and over the summer we were meant to start working on our project booklets/essays. I've been busy with work and holidays, so I was going to use the remainder of August to work on this essay.

The problem is, I've had a lot of ideas, but none of them are especially easy to find information on! Our essays are meant to be on something before the 1990s, but can be from anytime, anywhere after that.

My issue is that I'm not as interested in local/Irish history as I would be with other topics, and I'm finding it difficult to find resources aside from websites.
    (We were encouraged to use the library/National Archives etc,) but seeing as I'd like to do something from around Renaissance times, for example, this isn't much good to me.

Even worse, I can't seem to settle on a topic! Here are my ideas so far:

-The Pazzi Conspiracy - Pazzi family conspired to kill the Medicis, partially successful but ended in public outrage and execution

-The Glico Morinaga Case - Unsolved case of blackmail of a confectionry company in Japan, resulting in ransoms and suicide

-Robespierre's Last Days - When Robespierre brought in an act, meaning that his associates could be executed too (I'm summarising this alot, sorry! ^^; ), they turned against him and he is captured trying to flee. He was executed the next day.

-The Beast of Gevaudan - A large wolf terrorises a rural French region, exclusively attacking and killing people. Hysteria as people believe it's a werewolf of sorts, believing it can rise from the dead.

-The Mongol Siege of Caffa - The Mongols weaponised the Bubonic Plague here, catapulting the afflicted bodies over the walls in order to infect/kill their enemies

-William Patrick Stuart-Houston - Alleged spy for the British during WW2 . . and Hitler's nephew. Had to be kept close as he threatened to spill the beans about their Jewish ancestry.

This is just a brief description of each, I'm sorry if some of them are a little obscure! I was wondering which topic would be the best to go with/would yield the most information.
    Alternatively, if all of my ideas are rubbish (don't hesitate o tell me if they are xD !), could you suggest some topics that would make good essays?
    Thanks!
    All of them would be suitable topics - I know one student who did the Pazzi Conspiracy this year. The one most likely to cause difficulty would be the one about the werewolf - you would have to be careful to ensure it doesn't stray into the world of fantasy.

The important thing to remember is that you only have about 1200 words to write which is actually not very long - so you don't need a massive amount of information. Too much information can actually cause problems.

As for which one to do - pick the one you like best yourself. You will always write a better essay if you enjoy what you are doing.

You might find some help here -

http://leavingcerthistory.net/research-projects/

Advertisement