Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Repellents?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to keep my dog from destroying the contents of my shed (his little house)... I found this link which gives some information on homemade dog repellents. The other day he chewed off the starter cord of my lawnmower, and generally he creates a little bit of mayhem everyday. :o

Does anyone have any success stories of how they managed to keep their dogs away from, well, things? :)

(Bearing in mind that he has the run of the shed while I'm out... He's always very good beneath my watchful eye, but goes wild when I'm gone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Does anyone have any success stories of how they managed to keep their dogs away from, well, things? :)
    Think you kind of answered your own question there OP.
    wrote:
    he has the run of the shed while I'm out... He's always very good beneath my watchful eye, but goes wild when I'm gone)
    Why are you letting him in the shed if you have things you know he might wreck? Has he got a kennel outside for himself or are you using the shed? Is it possible to lock the shed door?

He sounds like he just gets bored when you're not there. Plenty of exercise and stimulation with toys when you're not there should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭David Matthew

anniehoo wrote: »
    Think you kind of answered your own question there OP..

The link provides information, yes; I guess what I should have asked is: does anyone here have any success stories of how they managed to keep their dogs away from, well, things?

Has anyone, for instance, tried some of the rememdies recommended in the article? I'm just hoping for some first hand stories.
    Why are you letting him in the shed if you have things you know he might wreck? Has he got a kennel outside for himself or are you using the shed? Is it possible to lock the shed door?

He doesn't have a kennel (it looks like I might need to get him one)...
    He sounds like he just gets bored when you're not there. Plenty of exercise and stimulation with toys when you're not there should help.

Yes, that's what I thought too, but despite all the toys he has, he still sees the contents of the shed as more of a challenge I think... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback anniehoo, much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have tried hot chili sauce and couple of similar things(vinegar, pepper), no use at all I think my fella likes them, thieving little sod certainly likes a curry:p
    He has also tried vodka and lemonade (left a glass on the floor) so don't think alcohol would work.
    To be honest my problem was when he was alone he licked the door and gradually licked the varnish off, solved it by getting him a friend. He was lonely and missed us(he's never left for long just 3-4 hours).
    The thieving is a different story, he'll steal any food within reach(when I'm not looking, doesn't even eat it usually), solved that mostly by removing temptation.
    He never did any damage because I left him in the kitchen when out and removed anything he could damage, just cupboards, appliances and table and chairs there.
    I think the key is to remove everything, just leave toys.
    Don't like the idea of using mothballs and ammonia, surely they could be harmful if the dog got at them.
    Could you just get a second shed for him(assuming he's a big dog here) or make him a run?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

My puppy chewed the bottle of anti-chew :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I had a dog who ate through a wall. Not kidding you-she chewed right throught the plasterboard and was starting on the cement. Nothing escaped, chairs, pess doors, her bed! We tried everything but like your dog she was fond of hot stuff so curry powder and chilli sauce didn't work. What did work was a combination of spirit vinegar and Stop-n-grow nail polish, she didn't like the sour taste. We would alternate them so she didn't get too used to the taste, and it took a few weeks but it worked in the end. Certain dogs just like to chew, ours was one of them and it sounds like your is too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Guess you are lucky that he didn't chew a fuel line & fatally ingest petrol. Shed are potentially dangerous places. If you must keep him in a shed then you need to move everything else out or get him a shed of his own.

Do you really want to apply nasty tasting chemicals so that he gets a bad taste in his mouth ?. Why not start investing time in getting to know your dog & training him. I have just taken on a young stray. I am gradually getting him used to being left by training him & he lives in the house. He chewed on the first day but not since.

Dogs can learn to do or not do practically anything but you need to put the effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My puppy chewed the bottle of anti-chew :o
    Cracked up laughin at that :D

OP id just get a kennel for him itd probably be cheaper and easier for ya in the long run and lock the shed totally. If you catch him at anything you dont want chewed a simple water spray bottle and a firm "NO!" will work. Those sonic devices would be for a wider area than just the shed, so if you put it in there it migh deter him from it totally so making him even frightened/iuncomfortable to sleep there either.

Is he young? He probably will just grow out of it if he is. Is he an active dog?Maybe trying agility with him might focus his energy on something productive. Also lay down sheets of tinfoil around the areas in the shed you dont want touched (the sound alone might deter him) or cordon off the area in the shed with tools etc in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to keep my dog from destroying the contents of my shed (his little house)... I found this link which gives some information on homemade dog repellents. The other day he chewed off the starter cord of my lawnmower, and generally he creates a little bit of mayhem everyday. :o

(Bearing in mind that he has the run of the shed while I'm out... He's always very good beneath my watchful eye, but goes wild when I'm gone)

ok firstly you really shouldnt leave a dog in an area where there is stuff you dont want touched... so getting him a proper kennel might be a good idea... he more thna likey goes wild out of boredom.... our dog was the same, we got in a trainer and heres what she recommended....

secondly you should try:

http://www.triequestrian.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=youjoomla.tpl&product_id=1844&category_id=95&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=15&vmcchk=1&Itemid=15

or vicks vapour rub... we had terrible problems with our cocker wrecking EVERYTHING when he was a pup... we tried chilli.. he LOVED it.... we tried the "Anti Chew" spray he didnt mind that either... so we got a trainer in and she recommended the above! The both worked a treat..

the crib halt you can get from any farming place / equesterian store or order on line and the vicks vapour rub.... anywhere sells that...

Try them you wont be disappointed! Best of Luck :)

There is information on the net that suggests that Vicks Vapour Rub contains Camphor which is apparently very toxic if ingested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I've been told by a vet nurse of 20+ years experience that vicks is safe. But I don't like the idea of applying nasty tasting stuff on objects to stop a dog chewing. Prevention is better than cure! OP can you put the stuff in the shed up on hooks, out of harm's way? Better still, give him somewhere else to spend his time when you're not home? Also, some nice raw marrowbones from your local butcher would fulfil his need to chew and would keep his teeth sparkly clean. Just make sure they are fine big beef bones and they must be raw. ;)

A lot of dogs chew out of boredom and frustration if they don't get enough exercise or they don't get to spend enough time with their people. Just a thought.

• Advertisement

I think there may be some confusion between Vicks Vapour Rub which contains Camphor & Vicks Baby Rub which doesn't.

I have to agree in I do not like the idea of nasty tastes. It also seems pointless in that the dog learns that it is OK to chew anything that hasn't been treated. Great to have put vapour rub on your socks etc !

I would rather teach my dogs that they only chew the things that I give them to chew - seems to work as nothing gets chewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

while i def do agree prevention is way better than a cure, the problem we had is that while we were present our guy was a saint but when left alone even for 20 mins he turned into a crazed animal :D we left NOTHING in sight, but it didnt stop him... we had child latches installed on all kitchen cupboards, on press doors etc... he was persistent... we left kongs for him to enjoy, he has tons of toys etc, those balls with treats inside that roll around and the odd traet falls out.... etc he didnt care DESTRUCTION was his middle name. :o

After he chewed through all the bottom of our kicthen presses, opened drawers, ate light bulbs (not joke he ended up in vet for 3 days), he ate brillo pads etc... we were getting very frustrated etc... as was the dog...

We got in a trainer.... Julie for tag n'rye.... she recommended the crib halt and vicks vapour rub... we only had to use it for about two weeks and ALL negative chewing stopped..... so its not a long term measure it will only take a few days... and now he is 5 he is an angel.... most of the time! :P

Advertisement