Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford focus clutch problem

Options
  • 01-04-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

hi guys

whats the story with the bleeding the clutch on a 2001 ford focus 1.4 ?

2 bleed screws ?? is this right .

2 slave cylinders ??

seems to be a funny set up

any comments ???

thanks again:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

There's just the one slave cylinder, and one bleed screw. It's a concentric cylinder, so you won't be able to see the slave itself. You should see the bleed screw poking out the top of the gearbox though, right beside where the line from the master comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Be careful. They tend to burst/leak if you bleed them other than when the clutch is replaced. This is what a ford tech told me and it happened to me in 04 with a 99 focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

a mechanic told me there was two cylinders at the slave end , one inside and one outside , and that once the clutch was getting done it was wise to replace the inner one . is he talking thru his asshole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yeah there's definitely only one. It's part of the release bearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

figs666 wrote: »
    a mechanic told me there was two cylinders at the slave end , one inside and one outside , and that once the clutch was getting done it was wise to replace the inner one . is he talking thru his asshole ?

Maybe he was explaining that there's usually an external slave, but these have an internal slave? Usually a slave cylinder wouldn't be changed with the clutch, but an internal slave needs the gearbox removed to change it, so it's wise to change it while the gearbox is already off. It's not necessary, it just saves taking the gearbox off again if the slave or release bearing packs in after having the clutch done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Maybe he was explaining that there's usually an external slave, but these have an internal slave? Usually a slave cylinder wouldn't be changed with the clutch, but an internal slave needs the gearbox removed to change it, so it's wise to change it while the gearbox is already off. It's not necessary, it just saves taking the gearbox off again if the slave or release bearing packs in after having the clutch done.

that makes sense dougie .

it's third hand information I'm getting .

by the way did you ever hear anyone bleed the focus clutch by hooking the brake bleed nipple to the clutch bleed nipple and open two nipples and pump the brake until all air has migrated to reservoir ?

Advertisement