Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Central Locking, but still managed to lock keys in vehicle...

• 01-04-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I would dearly love for somebody to tell me how this happened. I left the keys on passenger seat, exited driver's door, closed driver's door, and then Klunk... the car was locked, with the keys inside. I'd like to know how this happened, if for no other reason than avoid it happening again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Some cars have a system where the doors lock automatically if they are opened and the engine is not started in a certain time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

djimi wrote: »
    Some cars have a system where the doors lock automatically if they are opened and the engine is not started in a certain time.

I though that only happened when you unlocked the doors using the remote but didn't open any door. Actually opening the door means the driver is either in the car or has potentially put the keys inside, in both cases it's not appropriate to automatically lock the doors.

OP, can you say the make & model so others with the same motor can advise you on ways to avoid that happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Similar thing happened to me once with a Honda Civic, was defrosting the car, had the engine and heater on as you would, got out and closed the door for a minute to do something, came back and the car had locked itself with the engine and heater still running. Only had a loan of the car and had to get the spare key sent to me from the owner by taxi. Used quarter of a tank of petrol and the taxi cost €20. Still cannot explain how it happened to this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, can you say the make & model so others with the same motor can advise you on ways to avoid that happening again.

2007 Hyundai Accent. When I shut the driver's door, it closed, but it wasn't quite flush. But it was locked! Mercifully my daughter was at home & she could bring my spare key into me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭alias no.9

bazz26 wrote: »
    Similar thing happened to me once with a Honda Civic, was defrosting the car, had the engine and heater on as you would, got out and closed the door for a minute to do something, came back and the car had locked itself with the engine and heater still running. Only had a loan of the car and had to get the spare key sent to me from the owner by taxi. Used quarter of a tank of petrol and the taxi cost €20. Still cannot explain how it happened to this date.

I'm going to take a stab at explaining this one because it's happened quite a few people in the big freezes of a few years ago...

When you opened the door, the little switch that activates the interior light was frozen in the door closed position and the car never detected that the door had been opened, hey presto a minute or so later the car relocks itself thinking it had been opened accidentally.
    Do you recall (long shot) if the interior light came on when you opened the door as that would confirm the above?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    I though that only happened when you unlocked the doors using the remote but didn't open any door. Actually opening the door means the driver is either in the car or has potentially put the keys inside, in both cases it's not appropriate to automatically lock the doors.

You might be right to be honest; I just remember something like this with a car that my father used to own, but now that you mention it I think it was only when the door was unlocked and not opened.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I'm going to take a stab at explaining this one because it's happened quite a few people in the big freezes of a few years ago...

When you opened the door, the little switch that activates the interior light was frozen in the door closed position and the car never detected that the door had been opened, hey presto a minute or so later the car relocks itself thinking it had been opened accidentally.
    Do you recall (long shot) if the interior light came on when you opened the door as that would confirm the above?

I had this problem with my car around that time, however in my case the central locking used to open and immediately lock itself again! Im guessing my Japanese car doesnt like Irish weather...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

alias no.9 wrote: »

Cannot recall to be honest but it's probably the most logical explanation. Either that or the car was possessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have a vague notion that I once managed to lock the keys in the boot. Fortunately the car was outside my house at the time and I had a spare key.

I think I might have had the boot open, accidently pressed the 'lock' button on the remote, left the keys on the boot floor while I took some stuff out, forgot about the keys and then slammed the boot shut whereupon it locked the boot lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

As far as I know, this is a common problem with the K11 Micra. My one locks itself all the time. Totally unpredictable! I quickly learned not to leave the keys in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement