Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange insurance problem

• 01-04-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Ok strange one that perhaps someone here can help with.

I did my insurance online at the wkend and paid the deposit. I didn't get email with reference number on it but figured as it was wkend perhaps the system was a bit slow. Now an hr later I got stopped by the gards who told me to produce within 10 days.

Monday comes and still nothing so I call insurance who admit I was the 2nd one she'd had that morning but it was ok as system just not updated and as I'd paid deposit I was ok. Today I call again as still nothing and am told actually no policy exists and I wasn't covered to drive as they never took payment, bank are saying it's payment pending meaning they did apply for it. I would never have droven if I'd known and am now worried about consequences. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So you never received the confirmation that it went through at all? Unfortunately I dont think you have a leg to stand on as regards no insurance. You shouldnt have driven without a confirmation that you were insured.

I would get the insurance raised asap now, and hope the judge takes this into account as a mitigating circumstance, but unfortunately at the time you were stopped, it seems you were driving without insurance. If genuine, its a tough situation...sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rubyru

Thanks. Its very genuine, no I didn't get email confirmation but checked the bank and saw the money gone so assumed it was all ok. Even the lady I spoke to yesterday said it was fine just a slow system over the wevkend.

I realise it was probably very naive of me but they were at fault too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MCD.

In cases where there is a systems issue and policies are not put in place but payment has been taken cover is considered live.

Your situation seems extremely unusual but I think that given that the payment was pending on your account proves that you had the intention to take out the policy and that it was an error at the insurers end that caused the transaction to go into limbo.

I would suggest contacting the insurer (a manager or team leader) and pleading your case there. If that fails I would contact the financial services ombudsman with the following;

Proof from your bank of the attempted transaction

And a quotation based on your risk details that shows a premium equal to the pending transaction.

Downside is that this will put you well beyond the 10 days with AGS. I would make an appointment with the sgt. and explain the situation backed up with evidence of your case before the FSO. You may still get summonsed but if your case is successful with the FSO you will have proof of insurance by then. If you are not successful you will have evidence of your appeal to the FSO and the judge is unlikely to take a more severe approach to the case than he would have anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rubyru

MCD. wrote: »
    In cases where there is a systems issue and policies are not put in place but payment has been taken cover is considered live.

Your situation seems extremely unusual but I think that given that the payment was pending on your account proves that you had the intention to take out the policy and that it was an error at the insurers end that caused the transaction to go into limbo.

I would suggest contacting the insurer (a manager or team leader) and pleading your case there. If that fails I would contact the financial services ombudsman with the following;

Proof from your bank of the attempted transaction

And a quotation based on your risk details that shows a premium equal to the pending transaction.

Downside is that this will put you well beyond the 10 days with AGS. I would make an appointment with the sgt. and explain the situation backed up with evidence of your case before the FSO. You may still get summonsed but if your case is successful with the FSO you will have proof of insurance by then. If you are not successful you will have evidence of your appeal to the FSO and the judge is unlikely to take a more severe approach to the case than he would have anyway.

Thank you that's very helpful. The bank have already given me a transaction id reference so proving pending transaction shouldn't be difficult, I also have screenshot and original quote saved on pc.

I said I'd call the insurance back in the morning because I wanted to get proof from the bank. But its a good idea to call ags and explain so thank you.

Advertisement