Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Busy day on the Enterprise

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 comradestalin

I was on the Enterprise this weekend. It was a reasonably good experience. I shelled out for First class.

The ride quality of the DDs at some points doesn't seem great. There are points where the carriage quite noticeably jerks around and your cup of coffee will jerk sharply across the table in front of you. I seem to recall this being mainly somewhere between Dundalk and Drogheda. The carriages really could do with a full refurb being done. In First, you can hear all the fittings squeaking and creaking all the time.

The free wifi seems a bit hit and miss. When I left Belfast it didn't work until we reached Newry at which point it sprung into life; then it worked all the way to Dublin. When we left Connolly it was working, and then died at around about the border, recovering when we reached Portadown. I don't think the issue is service coverage, there seem to be kinks in it that need ironed out.

Regarding some of the comments on the thread .. for three months in late summer 1999 the Enterprise in fact did run into GVS. There were apparently no issues with it continuously taking up a platform, unless Translink made temporary timetable changes I don't know about. When it switched back to Central there were complaints in the local newspapers with people asking why they bothered moving it back since it seemed to be working out perfectly well were it was. It's almost as if Translink didn't want to admit that Central is in a terrible location. As for the comparisons with Connolly .. well the Luas is a handy way to get to Connolly St and beyond. And it'll be even better connected once the new connecting line is complete.

Translink do indeed permit free travel onward to GVS. Trouble is, the connections aren't great. For example the Enterprise arrived this evening just after 8PM. The next service which was going to call at GVS would have been in Central around 8:25. The next bus was around that time too. I ended up doing the 15 minute walk.

Translink do have a proposal to significantly upgrade Great Victoria Street and move Enterprise services there. I imagine this would involve adding a couple of platforms and improving station facilities and parking etc (currently GVS is not at all suitable as a major railway terminus - passengers scurry like rats through a dimly-lit and rather depressing shopping mall full of tatty boutiques and then have to navigate around an often-crowded bus station). But it's terribly frustrating, as it doesn't seem like long ago they splurged a huge amount of cash on renovating Central. At the time, the entire Northern railway network was under threat of closure, but the Central refurbishment was justified on the basis that it served the Enterprise. It would have been better for them to improve GVS at that time.

The focus for Translink and IÉ seems to be to compete with the bus services, rather than the private car, with their pre-booking online services. Even this is poorly implemented (Translink's requirement to book three days in advance is unfathomable to most people who are familiar with being permitted to print off airline boarding passes - this is presumably because Translink and IÉ don't want to spend the cash on a ticketing system which would permit printed tickets to be validated).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

the DDs are something like 14-15 years in service. One of the reasons I've been banging the drum to get the 22Ks Up North is that eventually the refit won't be able to be deferred any longer and 29Ks should not be the alternative for a scheduled service.

A few years ago Translink re-upholstered the DD sets without taking them out of service. I imagine the same arrangement will be used for any major overhaul. There's one spare carriage clearly visible at York Road right now and somewhere there must be spare DVT, first class and restaurant cars from the fourth, unused set.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

The ride quality of the DDs at some points doesn't seem great.

This is primarily an issue south of the border. Apparently, the rail standards used by NIR and IE have slightly different profiles and the DDs appear to prefer the British standard used by NIR.
    Regarding some of the comments on the thread .. for three months in late summer 1999 the Enterprise in fact did run into GVS. There were apparently no issues

I think the issue is that GVS has become considerably busier since 1999. The increases in service levels mean that platform space is at a premium during peak periods, particularly since the Larne line now terminates there. Meanwhile, the waiting facilities etc. in GVS are quite cramped - the station was clearly built on the assumption of static railway passenger numbers. As a result, there is no room for the Enterprise until the station is remodelled.
    It would have been better for them to improve GVS at that time.

Upgrading GVS wouldn't have been defensible at the time as the current incarnation of the station only opened in 1994.

It arguably would have been entirely defensible - the Enterprise successfully ran in and out of it for three months, and when it was moved back to Central people complained. But this is academic at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I think Richard Logue hit a nail on the head by suggesting that IC services arriving in Heuston should have a free transfer to city centre/connolly.
    If you're willing to pay about €1.50 more, transfers from Heuston to city centre are "free".

Point being there is no such thing as free. IE could just add €1.50 to all tickets. As is it's optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

A few years ago Translink re-upholstered the DD sets without taking them out of service. I imagine the same arrangement will be used for any major overhaul.
    I guess it depends on the scope of the refit. If it's only going to replace life expired components and won't look *too* hard for any unexpected deterioration, maybe it could be done quickly. On the other hand passenger expectations of rolling stock have moved on in the past 15 years and will do again over the next 15, not least since passengers will have shiny C4Ks and 22Ks to compare it to, plus the shiny buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

dowlingm wrote: »
    I guess it depends on the scope of the refit. If it's only going to replace life expired components and won't look *too* hard for any unexpected deterioration, maybe it could be done quickly. On the other hand passenger expectations of rolling stock have moved on in the past 15 years and will do again over the next 15, not least since passengers will have shiny C4Ks and 22Ks to compare it to, plus the shiny buses.

Straight from the horse's mouth [well that of the DRD minister in the NI Assembly]:
    In terms of the Enterprise rail service, this is, of course, of huge importance for both business and tourism. However, the service is run jointly between Northern Ireland Railways and Irish Rail and we therefore have to agree the arrangements and funding with Irish Rail before any upgrades or replacement of the rolling stock are undertaken.

An Economic Appraisal for the Enterprise Overhaul Programme was completed last year. The total cost of the project is estimated at £14m, shared equally North and South.

While it will take a few years before the whole Overhaul Programme will be completed due to funding implications, I can confirm that both parties have committed to £2.4m (£1.2m each) to a first phase of this project which is now progressing and involves safety work to the 4 train sets. This is due to happen this year.

It seems reading through the answers that Irish Rail appear to be the stumbling block and do not wish to commit funding to improving the Enterprise. It is interesting to note that NIR own all four of the EGVs.

Advertisement