Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red battery light on dash

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Why do people not understand- red light means do not drive car? Could it be simpler?

Orange light- drive on and get it fixed soon.

Red light- do not drive car.

Absolutely 100% - Unless it's the alternator light, whereby charging the battery off the car will get you through till you get an alternator. Or it's the boot-open light, and you have a lawnmower in the boot..or it's the hand-brake "on" light and the handbrake is off but the sensors jammed...or the orange light is the EML light and driving will ruin the really, really dear cat, or the orange light is low coolant....or you have an orange low-oil light..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Update!
    I got up this morning & checked if my car would start. It did, so I drove it to work (I know I know but I figured if it didn't die after being left for 12 hours it would probably last for work). Rang garage and dropped it down at lunch time. Mechanic tested battery with that volt thing and it read 14.25 so he said it wasn't the alternator either (which he initially thought it was) so there's an 'auto electrician' I think he said going to look at it in morning so I'll drop it again at 9. Right near where I work so someone passing can give me a lift. Hopefully nothing serious, doesn't seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Update '2:

Got auto technician to look at it and collected it this evening. Loose wire between alternator & dash seemingly. Simple enough (Daddy probably knocked it off replacing fan belt!) but cost €50. Lovely.

On the plus, it's fixed now, plus, I'm paying just over €300 for my car insurance renewal :)

Advertisement