Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red battery light on dash

• 30-03-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Battery light stayed on for whole journey (200km!)
    Any ideas?
    Fan belt was changed at weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Any ideas?

What car? Make, model, year, engine?

Could be the alternator isn't charging the battery properly. I had similar happen recently in a 01 BMW.

If you've had belts done recently, the alternator belt may have been affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Any ideas?

Id be suspicious of the belt was done last week the tensioner wasn't tightened properly and it's loose or come off it altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's not charging. Get alternator looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

It's a 05 Astra, 1.4 petrol
    My Dad changed the belt and he has checked that it was tightened before I left.

Then it's your alternator or still the belt. Open the bonnet and just hand check that the belt is tight. If it is then its the alternator.

• Advertisement

+1 on all advice so far. Be aware that with that light on, the car will eventually conk out as it is not charging the battery properly. Be wary if you're expecting to drive it to work in the morning.

+1 on all advice so far. Be aware that with that light on, the car will eventually conk out as it is not charging the battery properly. Be wary if you're expecting to drive it to work in the morning.

Exactly and also when it drops real low the ecu shuts down and the engine goes back to base figures or something.
    Was in a car that this happened before and it sounds awful.

Better not to drive it until sorted especially with it being a petrol.

Yeah I did have that thought about work in the morning. That's a hassle I don't need. Are alternators expensive to repair? Did he do damage or is it just coincidence if it needs changing now??

Yeah I did have that thought about work in the morning. That's a hassle I don't need. Are alternators expensive to repair? Did he do damage or is it just coincidence if it needs changing now??

I would think it's the belt to be honest, it's far to coincidental for it to happen after the belts being changed. Or it could be the connections to the battery being loose. I had that happen to me recently which resulted in the symptoms you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

something happened, he could have knocked a connection off the alternator...have you breakdown cover on your insurance?

• Advertisement

I have breakdown cover yes but I'd hope to get to and from work tomorrow :/ (100km?!)

I have breakdown cover yes but I'd hope to get to and from work tomorrow :/ (100km?!)

I wouldn't. The car may not even start tomorrow to be honest. Yeah it's a hassle, but not as much of a hassle as being stranded on the side of the road, half way to work. You've already driven 200km with the battery not charging, add another start(if it starts) and you haven't got much left.

My advice. Don't drive it; you WILL get stranded.

Check the belt, is it there?

If it is and you can really move it then it's loose, if you want so the 90° trick, If you can twist the belt more than 90° then it's not correctly tight. The tensioner may not have been tightened properly and it worked loose.

Edit: Was the battery light on from the get go or did it come in over time? Maybe flashed as you pulled away from junctions?

Is it best to call roadside assist tomorrow or go to a garage myself? I work an hour away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

BEWARE!! This happened to me last week. I noticed the light was on, and I had a new battery in january. Thought maybe the terminals weren't on tight or one of the fuses was gone. Checked all out, seemed fine. To my eyes! Anyway, turns out it was in fact the alternator, and the car started to lose electrical power one night in the way home, lights went dim, radio turned off, heater went off, dash display dimmed. And when I got home then it wouldn't restart.

So my mechanic popped around in the morning and took the battery. He said it was flat but was charging so obviously the problem was that it wasn't charging back up since it was installed. So I got a new alternator at the cost of a few hundred incl work. Nice.
    Santa Fe 04 diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Why do people not understand- red light means do not drive car? Could it be simpler?

Orange light- drive on and get it fixed soon.

Red light- do not drive car.

My dad drove it and didn't notice light on. When I was leaving today,it was on,and stayed on for entire journey. Drove about 300kms,kept radio,heaters etc off. Home the last 2 hours,and checked,starts,but light still on.will have to get it checked out tomorrow. I don't have a garage I frequent so never know when mechanics are pulling a fast one or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

What I'd do.

Open the bonnet. Look for the alternator. It looks something like this

alternator.jpg

Is the belt still on it? If so, start the car. Is the pulley of the alternator spinning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

Mine had no orange warning light. They seem to be dimly lit red, and bright red for immediate problem.
    Anyway, as others said, you will get stranded. You may get started and on the move in the morning but once you stop somewhere, and turn off the engine, that could be that.

Why do people not understand- red light means do not drive car? Could it be simpler?

yes I know that and generally would be very wary but dad reckoned it would be grand. I was 3 hours away from where I work. Because it was running ok,I took a chance. Google says damage not done if you drive with red battery light on.

• Advertisement

nd wrote: »
    What I'd do.

Open the bonnet. Look for the alternator. It looks something like this

alternator.jpg

Is the belt still on it? If so, start the car. Is the pulley of the alternator spinning?

it is. Have stopped and re started several times and my dad checked that.

Thanks everyone for your help. Will update tomorrow!

If you've done 3hrs in it then shes generating current for sure.
    You wouldn't get 20 mins from a good battery.

YbFocus wrote: »

That crossed my mind though I wouldn't know how much time youd normally get anyway from a battery that wasn't charging.

If you've a multimeter you could check the voltage of the battery. After it's standing for a bit it should be approx 12.6 volts. If it's close to that then the battery is charging fine.

nd wrote: »
    If you've a multimeter you could check the voltage of the battery. After it's standing for a bit it should be approx 12.6 volts. If it's close to that then the battery is charging fine.

Since I don't know what a multimeter is,Im assuming I don't have one!
    Thought I had read it should be about 14 volts online,or am I mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Turn everything off when driving, its likely everything electrical is coming straight from the battery, which is not charging. Especially don't use, heater/aircon. full lights
    Soon as battery is dead you wont have lights, indicators etc and you wont be able to restart engine.
    Don't even think about it if you could be driving in the dark.
    Coincidental, perhaps, alternator could be stuck, give it a rap with back of a wrench see if that unsticks it, if belt was just loose, you'd probably see a bit of flickering. Have a look in the engine anyway, could be very obvious, like new belt broke - faulty, overtightened etc.

Nope it should be around 14 when the car is running, as the alternator is then charging the battery. But with the engine off a charged battery should be approx 12.6 volts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

YbFocus wrote: »
    A few hours in dry, daylight and cool with no aircon. maybe
    Night, in cold and rain, you wouldn't get far:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Since alternator failure is the Achilles heel of that model astra. It would be a safe enough assumption to say it that which is at fault. Even the 08 astra I had had a refurb alternator. They almost all have refurb alternators in them at this stage. It's probably still producing a certain amount of current just not anywhere near enough. I wouldn't drive the car around as when it stops on the road the battery will be as flat as a pancake so flat it probably wouldn't even run the hazard lights not a great position to be in. Anyway any good mechanic will be able to tell you for definite if it's the alternator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Absolutely 100% - Unless it's the alternator light, whereby charging the battery off the car will get you through till you get an alternator. Or it's the boot-open light, and you have a lawnmower in the boot..or it's the hand-brake "on" light and the handbrake is off but the sensors jammed...or the orange light is the EML light and driving will ruin the really, really dear cat, or the orange light is low coolant....or you have an orange low-oil light..

Update!
    I got up this morning & checked if my car would start. It did, so I drove it to work (I know I know but I figured if it didn't die after being left for 12 hours it would probably last for work). Rang garage and dropped it down at lunch time. Mechanic tested battery with that volt thing and it read 14.25 so he said it wasn't the alternator either (which he initially thought it was) so there's an 'auto electrician' I think he said going to look at it in morning so I'll drop it again at 9. Right near where I work so someone passing can give me a lift. Hopefully nothing serious, doesn't seem to be.

Update '2:

Got auto technician to look at it and collected it this evening. Loose wire between alternator & dash seemingly. Simple enough (Daddy probably knocked it off replacing fan belt!) but cost €50. Lovely.

On the plus, it's fixed now, plus, I'm paying just over €300 for my car insurance renewal :)

Advertisement