Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surname change?

• 28-09-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I am just wondering how I can go about changing my surname.

I am 21 and have a double barrelled surname. (Mothers first and fathers second)
    I want to get rid of my mothers surname and take my fathers. So far my mothers surname is down on everything, school college passport ect.
    If I do change my surname will it also change with college? I am currently in second year so I havent gotten my degree yet.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would guess that it starts with your passport to make it easier. Your birth cert should show both names. It is easier if both names are already on other documents and records, because you can just request that one name be dropped. If not, get your passport changed. Drivers license is an easy change if you have one. Then get it changed at college and on bills and get your bank to change the name too with your passports (old and new) as proof. Only use your fathers name. It will take a while to shake the name, but eventually, it will happen. I feel sorry for people with DB names who have only used one name legally and wish to use the other name legally. Messy. But, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nicki93

goz83 wrote: »
    I would guess that it starts with your passport to make it easier. Your birth cert should show both names. It is easier if both names are already on other documents and records, because you can just request that one name be dropped. If not, get your passport changed. Drivers license is an easy change if you have one. Then get it changed at college and on bills and get your bank to change the name too with your passports (old and new) as proof. Only use your fathers name. It will take a while to shake the name, but eventually, it will happen. I feel sorry for people with DB names who have only used one name legally and wish to use the other name legally. Messy. But, good luck

Thank you, both names are on my birthcert, but my dads one was dropped for convenience when my mother enrolled me for primary school.
    I kniw the passport office want proof that you have been using the new name for at least 2 years, but I will try change it with everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nicki93 wrote: »
    If I do change my surname will it also change with college?
    You will need to check with the college. I understand many are reluctant. I presume this is because all their paperwork (some of it will be group paperwork, not solo paperwork) to date has been in the other name.

Advertisement