Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

changing family home from joint to single ownership

• 15-09-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

is this complicated?
    we are co-habitating, he wants to transfer the house to my name only.
    will ring my solicitor, just wanted the heads up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

is this complicated?

Is there a mortgage? Are you married or single?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

is this complicated?

It will be difficult if there is a mortgage. Also if he wants to transfer to avoid creditors it may be reversible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

is this complicated?

It's as complicated as it is depending on the circumstances. It will definitely need to be handled by a trained legal professional. You won't only have issues at common law but in equity as well, in most situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

Ok thanks. It's not as straight forward as I thought. There's still a mortgage and we aren't married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Ok thanks. It's not as straight forward as I thought. There's still a mortgage and we aren't married.

In which case, he is gifting you half the house, and as you are unrelated in law, there might be a CAT liability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are there other liabilities associated with the property? Examples would be pollution or a listed building needing substantial repairs.

huskerdu wrote: »
    In which case, he is gifting you half the house, and as you are unrelated in law, there might be a CAT liability.

Yeah, it would be gifting. Sorry, what's CAT?

Victor wrote: »
    Are there other liabilities associated with the property? Examples would be pollution or a listed building needing substantial repairs.

Nope. All straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yeah, it would be gifting. Sorry, what's CAT?

capital acquisitions tax

You would have to pay 33% of the value of the gift above 15,075

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,709 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Plus, as the transferor and the transferee are unmarried, won't there be stamp duty on the value of the interest transferred?

Definitely get a solicitor, both for the conveyancing and to address the tax issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Can you comfotably afford the mortgage on your own? Speak to the bank about that because regardless of the legal and tax issues if they bank (or another bank) dont agree to refinance the property in your name only you will have to pay off the mortgage in cash.

Thanks guys. Insightful and helpful as always :-)

Advertisement