Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review my WP site

Options
  • 08-11-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

I would really appreciate some reviews and opinions on a new WP site I built.

likestartup.com

The short term aim is to create a directory of startups in Ireland (initially). I have added a number of startups (and notified them) that I have included them. I am getting some really good feedback from the companies I have reached out to.

The goal over the next few weeks is to move away from self publishing and into reviewing submissions from founders to allow their startup/idea onto LikeStartup.

From there, I have a few more ideas and how the site will develop.

Again, any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Nice site. Is it a simple Wordpress install with a standard template or is there much more to it? It seems lightning fast which is impressive.

From a design perspective, the only thing I don't like is the "Like" button. The drop shadowed, rounded cornered, skeuomorphic design seems at odd with both the rest of the site and current trends.

I think the concept would benefit massively from your planned move from self-submission to curated commentary on current startups in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EdenStudios

I like the idea and the masonary layout works well.

I think the Markets page could be more useful if you move away from the tag cloud and run with some kind of select list or search function. As you're using Masonary, have a look at some of the filtering options it comes with (Isotope etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The font doesn't seem to be displaying too well. Particularly on the left with the blue background, the text appears to have poor resolution and grainy.. I'm using Firefox browser..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LikeStartup

_Brian wrote: »
    The font doesn't seem to be displaying too well. Particularly on the left with the blue background, the text appears to have poor resolution and grainy.. I'm using Firefox browser..

Hi,

I'll check this out from your browser POV.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LikeStartup

Hi All,

Thank you again for taking the time to review my site.

I have again made more updates. (I still need to fix up the 'markets page')

I would really appreciate you taking another look.

I have given it a big make over.

Cheers.

PS. Please share with other people who would be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm not clear on the overall purpose. As a visitor, what should I do? Am I here to learn about startups? Rate them? Just visit?

Create or hire someone to do a logo. Even 10 minutes in Photoshop would help.

I don't like sliders in general as a rule. This one has two major problems: it transitions too quickly, and has too much text overlaid on images with text in them.

I like the masonary layout for the individual sites. I'd make the text overlays a bit bigger and test blurs or darkening the background images to call more attention to the names.

The categories menu behind the little (+) doesn't stand out. I just clicked on it for the purposes of the review, as a regular visitor I think I would have ignored it. I'd move categories into the nav beside Newsletter both top and bottom.

I thought it was very slow, but a speed test showed that it's ok. Have a look at the results and this website speed case study and see if you can optimise page load a bit more.

HTH.

Advertisement