Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Coding

Options
  • 20-08-2015 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey guys,

So I ended up getting stuck to code a website for my team. We're in an international science competition and I genuinely have no clue what I'm at. I was wondering if any of you could help me? I'm not good at design so I am just really in a spot of bother.

Thank you,

A girl going insane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What are you trying to achieve with the site? How far have you got so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

I'm trying to make it look nice. It doesn't need amazing features, it can be basic but I kinda need to have it responsive. It's all fixed background scrolling. I've made a banner, boxes that flip on hover, a carousel on the main page and it's all responsive bar the boxes.
    Then for the other pages I just have a fixed scrolling bg, one of which is like a red & green floating animation.
    The team page is a bit different, I have circles for pics that animate green and red swirls around them and get bigger when you hover over them.
    I have to do a sort of Q&A page which I'm struggling with atm.

Thanks for replying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Have you actually coded all that or is it at concept stage. Because if you've coded it, then I wouldn't say you don't have a clue what you're doing.

I have coded it but it has literally taken me months. I found the very vast majority of the code abd only coded the simple stuff myself.
    A guy I know said that my CSS is not "proper" and that it's odd, but I have no idea what that means :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Are you looking for general pointers?
    Help with a specific problem?
    A mentor?

• Advertisement

A mentor tbh, but I know that's a lot to ask so I'll take what I can get!

If someone were willing just to let me bounce ideas off of them and maybe get small amounts of help, it would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

You could try doing code academy tutorials.
    Do the html and css course and then the build a website course it'll teach you how to make this:

http://codepen.io/pillphil/full/eNweNm/

Then just rip that off for your own site. :D

I wish I could but someone did that before xD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ok then requirements!

is the site part of the competition?

How many pages? it there are not alot just use a flat site.

do you need some sort of scripting? Does the user need to be able to input info and get a reply back or is it a site that only displays info about the competition entry.?

I would suggest lynda.com get a 10 day free trial and look at their responsive website tutorial I found this very useful
    http://www.lynda.com/CSS-tutorials/Creating-Responsive-Web-Design/110716-2.html

Also have a look a web frameworks this will take most of the headache out of creating a responsive website

I like Foundation http://foundation.zurb.com/ as it is well documentated which is essential in using a framework.

by the way if you could use a cms like wordpress using one of their own themes would also take care of the responsive requirements I'm not too sure if that is allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Is the website part of the competition? Or just a showcase? If it's the latter just get someone else to do it and concentrate on the competition itself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

professore wrote: »
    Is the website part of the competition? Or just a showcase? If it's the latter just get someone else to do it and concentrate on the competition itself.

+1

Or use a drag and drop website builder or a template/theme.

Advertisement