Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New version of checkargos.com

Options
  • 30-07-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've been working on a new version of checkargos.com and would really like to get some feedback on it.

node.checkargos.com

I know its a pretty standard looking bootstrap site but I would really like to get your feedback on how it looks and possibly more importantly how you find the user experience (is it intuitive etc)

Also if you could let me know what kind of a device you are testing on (mobile, tablet or desktop) as it should be responsive.

Thanks in advance!
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

This. Is. Awesome!

Especially liking the clearance thing.

It's very clear to see and understand. I wouldn't mind having a low-stock warning on the in-stock items in the clearance area. (just noticed you have it in some places.

I've bookmarked this for the next time I'm home and shopping...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Absolutely fantastic !

*back button doesn't seem to work on safari to get back to category after looking at a product. Aside from that it's pretty seamless & nice to look at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Has clearance by individual store gone? Looking on mobile (maybe it was never on mobile?) Seems less user friendly having to click on each item to see if it's available in stock locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey thanks all for the feedback!
    Has clearance by individual store gone? Looking on mobile (maybe it was never on mobile?) Seems less user friendly having to click on each item to see if it's available in stock locally.

It is there, but it obviously isn't clear enough.
    mEi6cgbl.png

I'll try to improve it's visibility. I guess I should also be including it in the initial clearance search page

(There are also some sizing issues with it on mobile I need to resolve)
    Absolutely fantastic !

*back button doesn't seem to work on safari to get back to category after looking at a product. Aside from that it's pretty seamless & nice to look at

Thanks!

Cheers for pointing it out, I'll take a look. The joys of a single page app :)
    I'm not actually sure if the pros out weigh the cons but I guess its nice and fast to move from one thing to another!
    This. Is. Awesome!

Especially liking the clearance thing.

It's very clear to see and understand. I wouldn't mind having a low-stock warning on the in-stock items in the clearance area. (just noticed you have it in some places.

I've bookmarked this for the next time I'm home and shopping...

Cheers!

Yeah I like that idea too, struggling for space a small bit on mobile but I'll see what I can do!

Thanks a lot guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hey

Going to start this on phone and edit on PC if you read the first post and think I'm being short!

It's there, but obviously isn't clear enough
    http://imgur.com/mEi6cgb

Hi, no it's there, not sure why I didn't see it the first time. It's pretty clear so no idea, short of flashing neon lights, how you could make it any clearer, apologies!

Edit: I think I just saw the screen below and didn't click on from there.1zv6dd3.jpg

• Advertisement

Hi, no it's there, not sure why I didn't see it the first time. It's pretty clear so no idea, short of flashing neon lights, how you could make it any clearer, apologies!

Edit: I think I just saw the screen below and didn't click on from there.
    <snip large pic>

Yeah totally agree, no idea why its not on the page in your screen shot!

Hey Guys,

So this has been the live version of the site for a few months and I've been continuing to do a bit of work on it.

The subdomain still works, but the regular URL is live now http://checkargos.com

I would love to get any feedback if you have on it.

My next thing on the todo list is to remove the single page app. Cause's nothing but headaches! From messing around with the history API to crawlers (Facebook and google) not working right there has been pretty much nothing but negatives with it!
    I know there is a decent bit of in line styling, will be trying to remove that as part of the move from the single page as I am moving to a template setup so I will have to port accross the UI code to that anyways.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

If the content results are live or as 'up to date as the main Argos sites', this is great!

It's x20 less bandwidth that the actual brochure site, thus fulfills the (popular) search only task x20 better.

RECOMMEND:
    1) Set initial focus on the search field on pageLoaded , so folks can type straight away without a form field click.
    2) Include the UK dbase as they're usually always 40% cheaper, (pending fx rates).
    3) Check legality of it unless you're already an affiliate (paid ideally).
    4) Load results in 3col (sortable).

If the content results are live or as 'up to date as the main Argos sites', this is great!

It's x20 less bandwidth that the actual brochure site, thus fulfills the (popular) search only task x20 better.

RECOMMEND:
    1) Set initial focus on the search field on pageLoaded , so folks can type straight away without a form field click.
    2) Include the UK dbase as they're usually always 40% cheaper, (pending fx rates).
    3) Check legality of it unless you're already an affiliate (paid ideally).
    4) Load results in 3col (sortable).

Hey,

Thanks for the response.

Yup results are live, we are parsing an actual search on Argos website with every request. My server would have incredibly fast internet I guess so by the time I parse out the required data the payload back to the user would be small.

1) Good idea - for desktops especially, will see the impact of mobile (as it might look wierd having the onscreen keyboard pop up by default)
    2) I actually have a separate site for the UK version stockspy.co.uk. I think the intersection of people who can use both would be small enough and what we can offer on both sites are different so thats why they are seperate.
    3) Yeah I should be ok with this, it has been running a long time.
    4) Results are already sortable, but only kind of. It will sort whats there, but it will not bring back the cheapest price from the entire search if you sort by price (need to visit this again)

Advertisement