Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public services card

Options
  • 04-07-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Quick note that if you are appling for a PSC bring your Adoption cert with you.

You are not required to bring your birth cert if you are a non-adopted person!!

I felt like a second class citizen today. ( After waiting 45 mins after my appointment time to be told that the process could go no further because I was adopted. )

Any thoughts on how this could be taken further?

Rgds

RG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Did that myself and I was going to make a post just like you, however... reading my appointment letter again it does state to bring one (a birth cert) LOL

The problem is the PSC staff don't have access to the Adoption registrar so they can't confirm your name regardless of any other legal documents you might bring to your appointment, Passport etc...

Seems all a bit silly to me... not excepting an Irish passport, but will except a crappy piece of paper that they can't confirm and that anyone could forge?

Really the Adoption registrar and the Birth's registrar should be linked, I mean whats the big secret with the Adoption registrar, surely sensitive information could be blocked?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ring them.
    The short form birth cert, with your adoptive parents names on it- is acceptable.
    If the person you're talking to doesn't believe you- ask her to clarify it with the on-duty HEO.
    There has been an e-mail sent around about this.

I've my Public Services Card here- I had no issues whatsoever getting it.

Seriously- the person at the counter may not be familiar with the fact that adopted people do not have access to their long form birth cert- their managers inevitably do though- if the person you're dealing with doesn't know this- you need them to clarify it with their HEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Zaku212

Unfortunately the officers in psc centres do not have access to adoption papers through the register, and while the letter doesn't clearly state to bring one, a new and clearer letter is in the pipeline.

Do not bring short form birthcerts as they do not include any information on a persons parents and thus are of little or no use for the process.

And it's worth noting that if someone is born or is adopted in ireland they are required to present valid photo id (eg a passport or drivers license) as well as their respective birth or adoption certs. However if the person is unable to present a photo id they will have their process done on the cert alone, provided that they are interviewed by a supervisor who will sign off on the issue of the card.

Advertisement