Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CDJ 1000 - DJM 400 - Without Using CDs

• 03-04-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

A few months back I purchased the above setup and I love playing around with them but havent really dedicated a lot of time to them yet.

I have a lot of music and whats holding me back is the time it will take to burn individual cds for each track I have.

I was looking at some possible way of using this setup with a laptop and therefore having the music stored on the laptop but being able to mix through the decks and mixer.

I took a quick look online and serato scratch seems to be an option for this. Would this be using time coded cds?

Im a bit unsure how this would all work.

Can anyone give me some advice on this please? and how much I would have to spend on extra hardware/software.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

never used serato so cant comment on that, but traktor scratch pro works perfect with the timecode cds and an audio 4/8 soundcard.

would be a very good setup, if playing in a club simply bring your timecodes, laptop and soundcard.

i imagine if you go serato the setup would be very similar and yes, you need the timecode cd's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yeah, a Digital Vinyl Solution like Serato or Traktor are the way to go for your setup. The CDJ 2000s can use Serato without the time code CDs but they are about 1800 euros each or something.
    I have the 1000s and have used them with Traktor and to be honest, I love Traktor but I am starting to burn CDs as I may start DJing out soon and CDs are handy when you don't know what setup/space you may be faced with (plus DJ handovers etc.)
    I do use Traktor with my Technics and scratch setup though as I really like to have access to all my tunes.
    Maybe you will hear form others here too but when using the CDJs with Traktor I needed to use the X1 (Native instruments too) too cue stuff and really use the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Yeah as mentioned before either go with Serato or Traktor. I'm a serato user, I use decks but i have used it on cdj's a couple of times and they work perfectly. Only thing that let me down is that i'm not used to cdjs but other then that no problems at all.

I don't know if traktor lets you do this but with serato you can burn timecode cds in the event that you might lose the ones that come with serato.. very handy that.

Oh and holystungun9 DVS stands for Digital Vinyl System not Digital Vinyl Solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

Thanks lads.

So apart from the serato/traktor software would I need any other hardware apart from a laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

mossy464 wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

So apart from the serato/traktor software would I need any other hardware apart from a laptop?

You would need the serato/traktor hardware interface. like one of these: rane-serato-sl2.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone reccommend the cheapest way to get the serato kit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

go to adverts.ie and search for Traktor Scratch and also search for serato SSL. really you should have a look at both companies websites to read up a little bit.

www.native-instruments.com - products - digital djing

www.serato.com - products - scratch live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

mossy464 wrote: »
    Anyone reccommend the cheapest way to get the serato kit?

Second hand off Adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_RANE+SERATO+SCRATCH+LIVE+/

;)

They only seem to have one up there at the moment though, 485 for a second hand SL3 is pretty good going, considering it's 699 new on Thomann.de... http://www.thomann.de/ie/rane_sl3_serato_scratch_live.htm

SL1 would be perfectly adequate for home use still and they seem to go for about 300 / 350 second hand most places I've seen them.

there's another SL3 going for 450 on gumtree at the moment as well.

http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Stuff-for-Sale-audio-music-hi-fi-RANE-SL3-SCRATCH-LIVE-W0QQAdIdZ363566039

Thanks lads.

Il defo look into both options a bit more before parting with any cash.

Just started the thread to get some basic advice and ask if it was possible.

Glad it is, was dreading the thought of burning cd after cd. A solution like this will be great..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If you're looking for a mixer too you can go with something like a rane 62 or something similar which is a really nice mixer and serves as a serato interface also, also has lots of midi keys premapped.

video here if you're interested in the 62, although it's only been released in the past month or two so it is expensive.
    (not a very informative video, but it's the only one I could find in the few seconds of looking that didn't have two guys discussing it in scripted 'street' talk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement