Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Injuries, injuries and more fùcking injuries. I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cleverley out for 3 weeks apparently with an injury to his right foot, up until now he's been out because of his left.

Serious questions need to be asked about our medical staff. This is beyond ridiculous.

Not really sure how you can say that? Surely it'd be more of a problem if he was out with his previously injured foot? Maybe he's just injury prone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

What a horrible horrible season for injuries - it would be laughable if it wasnt so damn serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Was Cleverley's injury not caused by a tackle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

baz2009 wrote: »
    Was Cleverley's injury not caused by a tackle?

That was his other foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

U18's finished 3-3.

Gotta love this.......

420574_311918162200442_242352039157055_865626_540323540_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'd wager Clev will be available for the Spurs game.

The injuries this season have been shocking, its been about 3 years of this crap now.

Scholesy getting player of the month is brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,297 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

alproctor wrote: »
    Gotta love this.......

420574_311918162200442_242352039157055_865626_540323540_n.jpg

surely that is fake - month isn't over so no player of the month results yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

The injuries we have gotten this season are beyond a fcuking joke. Just fed up at this stage. Ruining the season when you can't get a fair crack at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Does anyone think the injury problem this last couple of years could have something to do with the medical team? Or is it simply bad luck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,738 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

surely that is fake - month isn't over so no player of the month results yet.

Suprised people fell for it !

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Suprised people fell for it !

Who fell for it?

Wasn't it posted as a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cleverley out for 3 weeks apparently with an injury to his right foot, up until now he's been out because of his left.

Serious questions need to be asked about our medical staff. This is beyond ridiculous.

The job of the medical staff is to get an injured player fit again, not to prevent injuries. How could they possibly do that?

If the medical staff have Nemanja Vidic playing by the end of the season like some reports are saying, will there be any acknowledgement of their achievement? I highly doubt it.

The injuries we have are ridiculous, but you cant just look for someone to blame, they are down to some injury prone players and a heavy dose of bad luck.

Think people mean the guys who are supposed to prepare the players physically, the training methods should maybe be examined? The preparation?

I don't blame the medical staff, some of the best in the world at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Eathrin wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that was necessarily true. Say if you sign a young player like Erriksen, they will most likely keep or increase their value by the time the reach the peak of their career. So at this stage the club either sells a la Ronaldo or keep them and hopefully by the end of it you've gotten 10-15 years of service from them, and if that player happens to be top class well you can't deny the value there.

We invested in Rooney, £30m at 18 and he has certainly proved his value many times over, we made a great profit on Ronaldo and we recently invested in the likes of De Gea and Jones who could be with us for at least 10 years.

The ones to be wary of are the Berbatov type transfers imo. The same reason I wouldn't be delighted signing Modric or Sneijder. They might all be fantastic players but they are soon to decline, not improve, roughly speaking, and with that their value drops and the club recoups nothing of the massive fee paid.

I agree that young players are better purchases than older ones, but there is far too much risk involved in buying any player and there are far too many bargains to be had to justify such big money imo.

Rooney has done well for us, great. But it might have failed at various points with his contract demands and losses of form because of whoring. All players can fail and there are always good deals to be had. Everybody has to have a limit for what they would spend on a player, considering the transfer market over the last decade mine would be £25m definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What a horrible horrible season for injuries - it would be laughable if it wasnt so damn serious.

True, but the last two seasons were pretty dire also on the injury front. But this year will take some beating alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Perhaps it is early, but I'd be interested to see the senior team departures in the summer. I'd imagine PIG and De Laet would be off, but MUFC would still then have a full 25 over-21 man squad. Obviously you'd want to get some new faces in, so I'd be interested to see who else you'd want to move out from the team.

27 Players contracted to United who'd be Over 21 for Premier League Squad next season:

1. Evra
    2. Ferdinand
    3. Evans
    4. Owen
    5. Anderson
    6. Berbatov
    7. Rooney
    8. Giggs
    9. Smalling
    10. Park
    11. Hernandez
    12. Vidic
    13. Carrick
    14. Nani
    15. Young
    16. Cleverley
    17. Fletcher
    18. Valencia
    19. Kuszczak
    20. Lindegaard
    21. Scholes
    22. De Laet
    23. De Gea
    24. Amos
    25. Rafael
    26. Fabio
    27. Bebe

Bebe gone, maybe Owen too and Fletcher won't be included.

owen, kuszczak, de laet certainties to leave imo - Bebe quite likely too.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    Bebe gone, maybe Owen too and Fletcher won't be included.

Fletcher is very likely to be included. Fergie will build his 25 man squad with Fletcher a part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Owen,PIG,De Laet,Bebe and possibly scholes room for 3 new players then

Is Owen's contract up in the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

G.K. wrote: »
    Perhaps it is early, but I'd be interested to see the senior team departures in the summer. I'd imagine PIG and De Laet would be off, but MUFC would still then have a full 25 over-21 man squad. Obviously you'd want to get some new faces in, so I'd be interested to see who else you'd want to move out from the team.

27 Players contracted to United who'd be Over 21 for Premier League Squad next season:

1. Evra
    2. Ferdinand
    3. Evans
    4. Owen
    5. Anderson
    6. Berbatov
    7. Rooney
    8. Giggs
    9. Smalling
    10. Park
    11. Hernandez
    12. Vidic
    13. Carrick
    14. Nani
    15. Young
    16. Cleverley
    17. Fletcher
    18. Valencia
    19. Kuszczak
    20. Lindegaard
    21. Scholes
    22. De Laet
    23. De Gea
    24. Amos
    25. Rafael
    26. Fabio
    27. Bebe

The ones in bold I think are the ones that could or will leave in the summer. Now obviously not all of them are likely to leave but if only 2/3 of them stayed there would be 3/4 spaces free. Also Fletch may not be registered depending on his progress though hopefully he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

G.K. wrote: »
    Is Owen's contract up in the summer?

Does it even matter.

Fair point. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

eugeneious wrote: »
    The ones in bold I think are the ones that could or will leave in the summer. Now obviously not all of them are likely to leave but if only 2/3 of them stayed there would be 3/4 spaces free. Also Fletch may not be registered depending on his progress though hopefully he will.

Yea, you can throw Evra onto the 'maybe' list as well. Maybe unlikely but if we got a decent offer for him we should be accepting it and bringing in a replacement. Park is another one who might go if we received a suitable offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Blatter wrote: »
    Yea, you can throw Evra onto the 'maybe' list as well. Maybe unlikely but if we got a decent offer for him we should be accepting it and bringing in a replacement. Park is another one who might go if we received a suitable offer.
    Agree with these...I know we've been short on defenders this year but I wouldn't totally rule out selling Ferdinand if a reasonably good offer came in for him.

Agree with these...I know we've been short on defenders this year but I wouldn't totally rule out selling Ferdinand if a reasonably good offer came in for him.

Not going to happen, imo, nor should it - i believe he still has plenty to offer.

Fletcher is very likely to be included. Fergie will build his 25 man squad with Fletcher a part of it.

Thought it was all but confirmed that he was missing this season and a good bit of next seaso at least?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Just on bebe would you lads consider him to be fergies worst ever signing considering the fee paid for him?

Not going to happen, imo, nor should it - i believe he still has plenty to offer.

He may do, but I think he's on around £120,000/week so I don't think he's value at that anymore, especially with the amount of injuries he gets.

You also have to factor in that we have 5 centre backs. Vidic, Rio, Smalling, Evans and Jones. Most other top teams usually have 4 at the very most, so it's arguable that we have one more than we should. I know we've needed them all this year because we were light in the fullback positions and we had a shocking injury crisis, but it's quite likely that one or two of them could be basically redundant next year - sitting on the bench every week not getting a game.

My plan would be to have Smalling and Vidic as the first choice centre backs next season. Straight away that relegates Rio to 3rd choice at the very best. £120,000/week for a 3rd/4th choice CB that probably won't play all that often? Bad financial sense imo. If a decent offer could be gotten for him, I'd be seriously considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I wouldn't be getting too caught up on what players get paid weekly when deciding a players future. Let the club worry about the financial side of things. Fans should always be looking to have the best players possible for the team.

Right now Rio IMO is still a first choice centre half.
    He has not been injured too much this season, just been rested for a few games where we should not need him. Remember both Jones and Smalling have spent parts of the season out injured also.

Vidic is out for the foreseeable future and there is no guarantee that he will be the Vidic of old when he returns from that horrific injury. Add to this that Jones' best position seems to be in midfield or anywhere but at centre half.

Therefore Rio should be retained for the medium term atleast even if only for the experience that he provides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Macheda not in the QPR squad today and played for the QPR reserves the other day.

He is a shockingly bad player, there is surely no way he will last past the summer.

Yeah i gotta agree with Patsy on this one.

Seen a quote recently that Rio had the highest % of successful long passes of any centre back or something like that.
    Granted, that's not a deciding factor in picking your centre back partnership, but it helps.

Anyway, i do think that we seem more composed at the back when Rio plays - Vidic cant be guaranteed to be playing every game next season, and while Evans has been very very good lately, i do think that we need one or other, or both of Rio and Vidic on the pitch, to be at our best defensively.

Smalling is excellent, and will improve, and will quite possibly partner Jones (who has a bit to go to be a top, top centre back) at the back for us in the future, but imo, our best CB pairing at the moment is Rio/Vidic..... In fact i'd have them in this order when all fit - Vidic, Rio, Evans=Smalling, Jones.

Also, it's been stated that Vidic may not return the same player after his injury, and this is entirely possible - this is all the more reason not to consider selling Rio.

To be honest, I dont think his wages should have anything to do with it.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I wouldn't be getting too caught up on what players get paid weekly when deciding a players future. Let the club worry about the financial side of things. Fans should always be looking to have the best players possible for the team.

Right now Rio IMO is still a first choice centre half.
    He has not been injured too much this season, just been rested for a few games where we should not need him. Remember both Jones and Smalling have spent parts of the season out injured also.

Vidic is out for the foreseeable future and there is no guarantee that he will be the Vidic of old when he returns from that horrific injury. Add to this that Jones' best position seems to be in midfield or anywhere but at centre half.

Therefore Rio should be retained for the medium term atleast even if only for the experience that he provides.

There's nothing wrong with trying to be a realist when it comes to the club's finances. They play a huge part and of course fans should be thinking about it. Fans always discuss whether players are worth x amount of a transfer fee or whether we should sell a player if we get offered y amount, but for some bizarre reason, wages are almost always overlooked despite them actually being just as, if not more important than transfer fees.

You can always put a spin on our squad to make a case for any player to stay, Vidic coming back after injury, Jones not being experienced enough at CB, Evans being unreliable or whatever.

But at the end of the day, Ferdinand is approaching 34 and is on something like £120k a week. While still capable of performing at a high level, he is past his best and is going downhill.And pretty much any club in the world would be delighted to have Vidic, Smalling, Evans and Jones as their centre backs. Bar a ridiculous injury crisis, those 4 are more than adequate enough providing we were to get another fullback in so that Jones/Smalling won't be required to fill in at RB very often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Shamelessly stolen from RedCafe.

iVHlb25hDhsaK.gif

6928328551_9fd08d36d8_o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Blatter wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with trying to be a realist when it comes to the club's finances. They play a huge part and of course fans should be thinking about it. Fans always discuss whether players are worth x amount of a transfer fee or whether we should sell a player if we get offered y amount, but for some bizarre reason, wages are almost always overlooked despite them actually being just as, if not more important than transfer fees.

You can always put a spin on our squad to make a case for any player to stay, Vidic coming back after injury, Jones not being experienced enough at CB, Evans being unreliable or whatever.

But at the end of the day, Ferdinand is approaching 34 and is on something like £120k a week. While still capable of performing at a high level, he is past his best and is going downhill.And pretty much any club in the world would be delighted to have Vidic, Smalling, Evans and Jones as their centre backs. Bar a ridiculous injury crisis, those 4 are more than adequate enough providing we were to get another fullback in so that Jones/Smalling won't be required to fill in at RB very often.

Thats fare enough, but when a player has been a loyal servant to the club for over ten years, been one of our best players in that period and is still one of our best defenders, using the excuse that he is supposedly on X wages as a valid reason to get rid of him is not what you would expect from a respectable club like ManU.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Thats fare enough, but when a player has been a loyal servant to the club for over ten years, been one of our best players in that period and is still one of our best defenders, using the excuse that he is supposedly on X wages as a valid reason to get rid of him is not what you would expect from a respectable club like ManU.

That's the other side of the coin and a valid point. However I wasn't suggesting that we go all out and put him on the transfer request but at the end of the day the club is a business, so there isn't an awful lot of room for sentiment.

Just saying that if a nice offer came in for him it should be considered.

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Just on bebe would you lads consider him to be fergies worst ever signing considering the fee paid for him?

No.

Don't think Rio should be sold, maybe we could get him to restructure his basic salary a bit, but even if not, the club committed to the contract for the length of time it runs. They committed to paying him x amount for x amount of years. They knew what age he would be etc when entering into the deal.

His experience, his leadership and how much esteem he is held in at the club, its very obvious how highly Fergie thinks of him, means I don't think he will be leaving until he retires tbh. He seems to be great with the younger guys, and he is a real calming influence on the likes of Smalling when he is on the pitch.

I'd keep him around personally, the clubs wage structure got a boost last season with retirements and player departures, there will be more this season, Owen is definitely gone, thats 50k a week saved apparently, Park possibly? maybe Evra? Scholes, Kuszcak surely? maybe even Berba and Ando, though Fergie has said Berba going nowhere in the summer recently.

I think he is worth the wages considering his influence and his ability to still perform when needed. He is finished in terms of being our first choice I feel, as in I don't think he can play week in week out and with his back likely to go at any time I can understand why it would seem good business sense to accept bids for him if they were forthcoming.

I just wouldnt do it personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

there are a large number of players that could be put on a gone/maybe leaving list.

Kuszczak, Ferdinand, De Laet, Evra, Park, Anderson, Bebe, Owen, Berbatov - with Gibson and Diouf having been sold in the January window.

However, United simply don't work that way - it won't be a massive clear out, or at least it is very unlikely to be.

Kuszczak, De Laet and Owen would be the only ones I would be fairly sue will be leaving. Bebe could be sold, but it could be like diouf in the summer and while United may want to sell they don't get bids matching their price. If I was in charge I would be selling and replacing Park and Anderson, but in reality I would be surprised if either left, never mind both. Berbatov, despite denials, could be gone in the summer, depending on who we bring in - links wit a player like Gaitan make me think we may replace Berbatov with an AM player rather than a striker. Ferdinand and Evra.... have seen them mentioned as sales, but I would be shocked to see ether leave - it simply won't happen imo, Fergie won't give up their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Since its Norwich away today thought I'd stick up my outstanding memory of this fixture. Even though almost 20 years ago there is Giggs doing his bit :)

2nd goal some great one touch stuff. 1st year college at the time. Remember going nuts watching those last few games :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Scott Parker misses game against us next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Delighted with the result today! Giggs you legend, well done on 900 games for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

De Gea >>>> Superman

Player ratings link for the Norwich game.

Man United player ratings link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGt5MFhUbHZ4cy1la1B6WlBCbE44OVE6MQ#gid=0

Great result today, 3 points is all that matters. The performance wasn't great as usual, but the team will click soon enough, injury is taking its toll on the performances overall but they have to end at some stage

The title race is still on, city will crumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

De Gea was brilliant today,that should do his confidence the world of good.
    Scholes was pretty good for most of the game,that horrendous pass near enough the end almost blighted his performance.

Apart from that it was a woeful performance from when we scored until they scored.
    Wtf is with the sitting back??
    We should be looking to get out of sight after scoring with so much possession early on.
    It's going to bite us in the arse at some stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement