Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption trace....

Options
  • 09-02-2012 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey! I'm searching for birth mother / sister / family. Male born 23rd March 1975 adopted from St Patrick's Guild. Born National Maternity Hospital. Birth name Joseph Ruddy. Mother's name Mary. Have been told birth mother was from West of Ireland, she was orphaned and had two sister's and one brother. Believe she may have been born in 1947 but this may not be accurate. Was also told I have a half sister (older) born in 1970s, possibly 1972 / 73 also adopted. Traced birth records for babies born to same mother and found two, one born 11th April 1972 and one 24th November 1973. Both records indicate adoption as no father name entered and same surname as mother. Was advised by adoption board my half sister initiated a trace in 1992. Would love to get some history and background. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hi,

You have loads on information there already.
    Have you read the trace guide here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Juvy

I must look at that, the more information I have the further away I am...I don't know where to look now! My birth mother as far as I know was an orphan from the West of Ireland, worked in Dublin in the 1970s and apparently lived in England for a spell. However, Sr Fahy from St Patricks Guild constantly contradicts herself! Isn't it well for those people holding the trump card, so I initiated my own search and found my birth cert in the central registry office. I was told I had an older sister but there was confusion over date of birth!!! So when I had my birth mother's name and armed with the fact my biological sister(s?) was born in 1970s, I checked the birth registers and found two entries in '72 and '73 born to a Mary Ruddy and given up for adoption in each case. Is this a coincidence or do I have 2 older sisters? Of course I checked (by date) the adoption register in the central registry office and found listings for adopted girls, two adopted and born with the same birth date in 1972 (11th April 1972)and four adopted and born in 1973 (24th november 1973).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 103017999

Where is this trace guide ???

Hi,

You have loads on information there already.
    Have you read the trace guide here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 103017999

Well done Juvy on your research so far.. I'm also from the same place as yourself (St Patricks Guild) an i just keep getting the run around from St Francis. Just need to start something now myself. That's a must. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

103017999 wrote: »
    Where is this trace guide ???QUOTE]

Here's the like to the trace guides: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543715

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Slightly off topic but can I ask how you got your original birth cert? I ask because the HSE screwed up with my attempts to trace my bm so Im thinking of trying to trace her myself. Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but can I ask how you got your original birth cert? I ask because the HSE screwed up with my attempts to trace my bm so Im thinking of trying to trace her myself. Thanks!

Follow the directions in the trace guide- and you should find your own original birth cert. Note- the GRO reading room is now in the Irish Life Mall on Talbot Street, D1, its moved from Joyce House.

Kind regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1 janeyhuk

Hi I am female born 24/11/73 and adopted.....I was adopted when I was 3 months old approx.....don't have much info....my dad got given some info at time but what's true and not how knows....I was told my birth mother named me Honor Frances and was told she was a young girl....my dad says I was born Glasgow but too be honest it's all hear say cause have never actually looked into anything....get curious at times but never started any trace....as I m getting older getting little more curious....one night was just putting my details in goggle and came across your post...I may be able to help you either include me or exclude me from your search...my mum who I love with all my heart has encouraged me to mail u xx

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

Hi I was born on the 09/11/1976. I was never formally adopted instead it was long term foster care. I have often taught about tracing my family but haven't really known what's the best way to go about it. I have my original birth cert my name on it was Barry Martin. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on what is the best way to start a trace.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

sean because u were never adopted u can apply to the hse for ur fostering file, will give name of ur mum and last known address.

• Advertisement

kathy finn wrote: »
    sean because u were never adopted u can apply to the hse for ur fostering file, will give name of ur mum and last known address.

Thanks for that I really appracaite it

Hi kathy

I sent off a FOI for access to my file. The rubbish they sent me back wasn't even funny and denied me access to most of my file. I wrote back appealing there decision and asked hw my file was so small considering I was under there care for 18 years. The reply was to deny me access and that I could appeal her decision to the commissioner.
    I am fuming with this treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi sean, once u turn 18 you are legally entitled to your foster file, i would apply again under the freedom of information.
    just write again and state at the top of letter you are applying for your file under the freedom of information.

hi sean, once u turn 18 you are legally entitled to your foster file, i would apply again under the freedom of information.
    just write again and state at the top of letter you are applying for your file under the freedom of information.

Hi kathy
    I did apply under the FOI and they sent me 6 paged of rubbish. And denied me access to 13 pages stating 3rd person information. I wroteback stating how surprised I was that my file had no relevant information about me our my birth mother, even though I was under the care of the HSE for 18 years. NICE to know that my life comes down to 19 pages and they will only let me see six off these. And the information they sent me was only about my foster family and that I had enquirer about 10 years ago about my BM

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ger97

Hi I`ve been dealing with St patricks for nearly ten years now and I`m still no further on. What I have found out though is that since I started my search my birth mother has passed away. Sr Francis is holding information that she could act upon but refuses that could benefit my search

• Registered Users Posts: 4 soccerman

Anyone know is it possible to get an original Birth Cert from before my adoption? I have got a birth cert with my Adoptive Parents names on it already... All help greatly appreciated.... Born 21/06/1973 - Adoption Agency: St Patricks Guild

Advertisement