Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with car bump...

• 26-06-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

OK, odd one... and if this is in the wrong place, I apologise!

We had our car bumped (it was parked) in Ballydehob a while ago. Our friend saw it happen - there's a nasty scratch down the side and the wing mirror was smashed off. Our friend got what he is pretty sure the reg details of the car were, but he wasn't 100% sure he'd memorised them right.

Anyway... we went back out to the car to find a note saying that the person who did it apologises, and to call to sort it out. So we did. The person in question was more than happy to pay full costs, but wanted our bank details to do so. Being paranoid :D I wouldn't supply those details. Got full quote for cost of repair, which comes to about €300, and forwarded these with my address for a bank draft or postal order. (I should add at this point that the person who hit the car is in Germany - this is not helpful!) They came back to me saying that they didn't know how to do a bank draft or postal order, could they please have my IBAN and SWIFT code? I was unsure about this, and asked in the bank - where I was heavily advised not to give it out, as this has happened before and people have had their accounts cleared, and they think it could be a scam.

Sooo... I went home, e-mailed again (I should also mention that this person would not provide insurance details or address, only a mobile number and an e-mail) to say that I wouldn't give out my bank details, they would have to send a bank draft or postal order. I have heard nothing since (this was last Tuesday).

Where do I go from here? I was wondering if it's possible to look up the registration we have for the car to find out who owns it (it was an Irish car, so presumed hire?), and to try and claim from insurance? I will almost certainly go to the gardai about it, but I wanted to go armed with enough info for them, and I wanted to be sure that the numberplate was remembered correctly.

Any help at all appreciated...

xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

How do you know they are from Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If your bank let someone clear out your account armed with a bank account number and sort code, they are idiots.

Bank transfer is standard enough business in Germany. They are not big fans of things like credit cards and such.

You bank (like all banks) has been supplying people with cheque books for decades. Every cheque in each book has the sort code and bank account number on it, as well as a copy of you signature once you use the cheque, yet no one everhad an issue handing these details to all and sundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zoundz

@Seanbeag1 - I know they're from Germany because their e-mail is .de and the mobile number is a German number. Their name is German, and English is not their first language. Of course, there's still a chance that they are in Ireland, even with all of the above - although that would mean they'd lied to me, as they said that they were now back in Germany.

@Guy:Incognito - I really don't know much about bank stuff... I have to say I didn't think it was possible just with an account number and sort code, but I personally don't know much about the differences (if indeed there are any) between IBAN and account numbers, and sort codes and SWIFT/BIC. Maybe there are no differences... all I have to go on is the chap in my bank (and let's say, I do not trust my bank greatly) said they had seen similar happen before. He made it quite clear that if I did give out those details, the bank would not be held responsible if our account was cleared.

I don't really know what's what here... but it did strike me as very odd that the people involved were only too happy to pay, and the first thing they did was ask for my bank details :/ also... I really don't see the problem with a bank draft or money order, it's not difficult, and is much safer I would think.

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

If your bank let someone clear out your account armed with a bank account number and sort code, they are idiots.

Bank transfer is standard enough business in Germany. They are not big fans of things like credit cards and such.

You bank (like all banks) has been supplying people with cheque books for decades. Every cheque in each book has the sort code and bank account number on it, as well as a copy of you signature once you use the cheque, yet no one everhad an issue handing these details to all and sundry.

Bank account numbers and sort codes are on cheques, all an iban has is these and are commonly used to make bank payments in europe.

A person can not extract fund from your account with just them.

They may not be able to extract funds with just those, but they also have our car registration details, our phone number and our home address ;) I'm really not comfortable giving out the other info, as it *could* be used alongside those other details, and even if it's not likely, I'd really rather not.

xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

IBANS [or local ccount numbers] and Sortcodes are given out freely on a daily basis, in business. There is no risk of money moving out of your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Set up a new account somewhere and leave it empty give him those details. When money moved in withdraw and close it.

I must admit I had thought of doing that. Is it legal/allowed? I guess all I can do is ask the bank!

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Zoundz wrote: »
    I must admit I had thought of doing that. Is it legal/allowed? I guess all I can do is ask the bank!

xx

Yes. Perfectly. You can open as many accounts as you want.

As noted several times above however you have absolutely no need to do so. All this (decent) person is looking for is the information required to pay money into your bank account.

Would you not just provide that, receive your money and move on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

To clarify

Your IBAN number is your International Banking Account Number
    For BOI customers if your sort code is 90-00-00 a/c number 12345678 your IBAN will be something along the lines of BOFI900012345678
    AIB Customers is something along the lines of AIB2E93000012345678
    etc etc
    Its not rocket science
    If for example I knew your sort code & account number I could figure out your IBAN as they follow specific formats

The SWIFT Code also known as a BIC code is for international transfers and is the Branch Indentifier Code
    Again for BOI Customers its something along the lines of BOFIE2D

(I used to do 100's of international transfers online at work and never had any problems)

The way I see it you have 2 choices:

As suggested open an account specifically for the purpose of recieving these funds & close it later on
    Or just give them the account number for the account you already have and get the bank to note on your account that withdrawals can only take place in branch with appropriate identification and outward EFT's (electronic fund transfers) can not be carried out on your account

The guy advising you in the bank is an idiot by the way
    If your bank allows anyone other than you to withdraw money from your account the bank is at fault and the customer must be refunded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Zoundz wrote: »

xx

How about opening a PayPal account and asking them to pay into that?
    Although I agree with the comments that the risk to your account may be less than you fear.
    I think part of the suspicion possibly comes from a different attitude between here and Germany to incidents like yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

NOBODY uses cheques or money orders in Germany.

everything is cash or bank transfer. There is not even the option of a chequebook when you open a new bank account there.

The information requested of you by the German individual is required so that he/she can wire you the money. They will not be able to use it to withdraw money from your account.

In my 3 years living there, I have found the Germans to be scrupulously honest.

Advertisement