Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease or Rental agreement

Options
  • 27-06-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Had a very bad experience of giving a lease to a tenant. Cost me a lot of money to get rid of him, So the question is should i give a lease to the next tenant or a rolling rental agreement, say 6 months and keep renewing it.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

A "rolling rental agreement" that lasts for six months and can be renewed is a lease. If the idea is to bypass tenancy law by calling your lease a "rental agreement" you should have a read of this first.

In the end, you're wasting your time -- a bad tenant will be a bad tenant regardless of how many leases, licenses or contracts you have them sign. Put your effort into checking references instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

A "rolling rental agreement" that lasts for six months and can be renewed is a lease. If the idea is to bypass tenancy law by calling your lease a "rental agreement" you should have a read of this first.

In the end, you're wasting your time -- a bad tenant will be a bad tenant regardless of how many leases, licenses or contracts you have them sign. Put your effort into checking references instead.

Sorry i meant to say it a Commercial premises .

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Business tenancies are obviously treated differently, and whereas with a residential tenancy, AFAIK, the tenant may not waive their statutory entitlements, an independently advised tenant under a commercial lease may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭robertbarry

either way keep it as a business deal. ie they are not your friends and you are better keeping the tenants at arms length.

• Advertisement

Business tenancies are obviously treated differently, and whereas with a residential tenancy, AFAIK, the tenant may not waive their statutory entitlements, an independently advised tenant under a commercial lease may.

So is that a Yes or No and again thanks for the responce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Well, at the risk of sounding cheeky, you can of course give them such a lease, but it won't solve your problem.

Giving someone a rolling 6 month lease, will not prevent them from acquiring statutory rights once the requisite period of occupation under the particular legislation has been met. The only way to ensure that wouldn't happen is to acquire the appropriate waiver from them. Unfortunately they will require a solicitor to advise them in that regard, and consequently it would be advisable if you too had a solicitor deal with the matter for you, so as you are at no disadvantage.

Therefore I would suggest the answer to your question, as phrased, is 'No'.

Well, at the risk of sounding cheeky, you can of course give them such a lease, but it won't solve your problem.

Giving someone a rolling 6 month lease, will not prevent them from acquiring statutory rights once the requisite period of occupation under the particular legislation has been met. The only way to ensure that wouldn't happen is to acquire the appropriate waiver from them. Unfortunately they will require a solicitor to advise them in that regard, and consequently it would be advisable if you too had a solicitor deal with the matter for you, so as you are at no disadvantage.

Therefore I would suggest the answer to your question, as phrased, is 'No'.

Thanks

I will use a solicitor it just i want to be able to get them out quick if they mess me around, Not like the big legal route i had do last time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement