Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal definition of "goods"

Options
  • 28-06-2011 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭

I vaguely half-remember a conversation where someone gave a definition of goods such that the contents of the box (e.g. computer) are goods, but the box is not. You buy the computer, not the box.

Is a newspaper "goods"?

PS I've just devastated millions of one year olds babies and cats, haven't I? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm not necessarily sure the box wouldn't strictly be goods. Goods are essentially a subset of chattel (n. an item of personal property which is movable, as distinguished from real property (land and improvements).) and therefore could be anything that a person assigns value and/or ownership to.

Technically your definition is correct also since if you purchased a computer and it was in perfect condition and the box wasn't I doubt you would get anywhere trying to go after the company under the 1980 Act.

But, boxes are net necessarily not goods at the same time: think of moving companies that sell boxes, etc.

In short, I'd say that newspapers are goods in the circumstance where you are purchasing the newspaper but not where it's used to hold your fish and chips :D

Advertisement