Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All year round wetsuit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

You are not alone, most beginners find back zip suits a bit easier to get in to and out of. My cousin was looking for a first surfing wetsuit lately, he ended up getting a 2015 O'Neill Epic 5/4 and is very happy with it. More comfortable than the rental suits. Stg is expensive now, he found it cheaper to get sent from a surf shop in Sligo (think it was 159 euro ) rather than from England where it was the equivalent of 8 or 10 euro more.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

personally I prefer the front zip suits, as they are warmer and this is Ireland ! also they are not as susceptible to flushing on a big wave.

I would honestly say wait and increase your budget for now. Around €300 would get you a decent all year round suit, and I'm specifically thinking of New Years and cold February here.

A lot of the Surf schools sell off their old stock, rental suits etc, which may be worth a look but if you get a decent new suit then you'll surf more, be happier in it and stay warm.

Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Don't forget gloves, boots and hood when factoring in cost

If you know makes that fit, nothing wrong with the second hand suit, plenty of folk buy suits that don't em online and sell em off cheaply (or give up surfing after a few sessions)

Other cheap options are last year models

Good 5:3 should see you through winter but some people get thermal rash vests to take the sting out of it

That said I have a couple of suits collected over the years so always have a dry warm one to put on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

the all important thermal rash vest , longsleeve :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Increase your budget and get an O'Neills Mutant..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Increase your budget and get an O'Neills Mutant..

I've got two, serious wetsuits, I've felt too warm in February wearing one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

promethius wrote: »

Would that not rule out a suit that would also be used in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

rodento wrote: »
    Would that not rule out a suit that would also be used in the summer

that's my 5/3 one and it would be too warm in the summer for me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

promethius wrote: »

You are having a laugh??

Jez I need to get one of those

Advertisement