Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's going on in the old Shimla building?!

• 02-04-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Walked past today and looks like builders are in.

Is old Shimla opening back up?! (yes yes I know about all the closure orders - it tasted goooooooood, and I was never sick, all good by me!)

Is a new Shimla opening up?!

Or is there something else going in??

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Its a new Indian takeaway, new business I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

oblivious wrote: »

New Indian woo hoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Painting it last night. Looks to be almost there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Good to see businesses opening up. Now, if only someone could do something with the boarded up Aldi eyesore. What business is Clonsilla missing that could do well? A local butchers maybe or a proper sit down coffee shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

ongarboy wrote: »
    Good to see businesses opening up. Now, if only someone could do something with the boarded up Aldi eyesore. What business is Clonsilla missing that could do well? A local butchers maybe or a proper sit down coffee shop?

plus 1 on the coffee shop - there is no decent place in Clonsilla to meet up and have a coffee or a bit of lunch.

• Advertisement

Starbucks!

Lol. Joking! But a coffee shop would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

I saw one of the old Aldi site Cottages getting taken down as I passed this morning - large JCB clearing it away.

“Roll it back”

Silly question. We're definitely not getting an aldi are we?

As much as I like aldi and lidl, clonsilla village is not great to start with, so think we need to enhance (coffee shop!) rather than stick a lidl in the village.

amdublin wrote: »
    Silly question. We're definitely not getting an aldi are we?

As much as I like aldi and lidl, clonsilla village is not great to start with, so think we need to enhance (coffee shop!) rather than stick a lidl in the village.

As far as I am awear their planning permision was refused, congestion of the area was the main reason I believe

As far as I am awear their planning permision was refused, congestion of the area was the main reason I believe

Yes - Just an Aldi might be too busy for the village - but might have been made acceptable - But I think the main reason was in order to get the price of the land back - they wanted to build over a hundred one and two room apartments on the site - ie. student bedsit land - on the site as well as the shop - with very limited parking and the only greenspace was located On the Shop Roof!

Due the the amount of land used by the apartments - the size of the entrance to the site they proposed was tiny - getting the large delivery trucks through the small village and in and out would have been insane.

Fingal however wanted a line of shops (coffee shops etc) each side of a newly created street that would run down through the site towards the canal - opening up access to the waterway for everyone - and possibly spanning it - like they did in Ashtown - they mentioned Ashtown as the blueprint - a new Clonsilla village. That would be so much better.

New Car bits shop opened this week in Clonsilla village - not bad - oils and stuff - limited range of stock since he's only opened but he's very reasonable.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

ozmo wrote: »
    New Car bits shop opened this week in Clonsilla village - not bad - oils and stuff - limited range of stock since he's only opened but he's very reasonable.
    Spotted that...is there really a demand for this with Halfords & PartsforCars in Blanchardstown and Coolmine as well as 2 smaller motor factors in Mulhuddart and Clonee?

fletch wrote: »
    Spotted that...is there really a demand for this with Halfords & PartsforCars in Blanchardstown and Coolmine as well as 2 smaller motor factors in Mulhuddart and Clonee?

Thought so too - very similar to what you might find in a petrol station - but he is a good bit cheaper - bought 2 litres engine oil the week before in Halifords for 22 euros - this guy is selling 5 litres for 15 euros that would have done me.

I just bought some huge 5L bottle screen wash that will last me years off him.
    Support local business and all - better than the boarded up shop that was there and the estate agent before that. Friendly guys - had a good few customers in when I was there.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Thought so too - very similar to what you might find in a petrol station - but he is a good bit cheaper - bought 2 litres engine oil the week before in Halifords for 22 euros - this guy is selling 5 litres for 15 euros that would have done me.

I just bought some huge 5L bottle screen wash that will last me years off him.
    Support local business and all - better than the boarded up shop that was there and the estate agent before that. Friendly guys - had a good few customers in when I was there.
    Might drop in over the weekend...sounds like some good deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Fingal however wanted a line of shops (coffee shops etc) each side of a newly created street that would run down through the site towards the canal - opening up access to the waterway for everyone - and possibly spanning it - like they did in Ashtown - they mentioned Ashtown as the blueprint - a new Clonsilla village. That would be so much better.

I LOVE that idea!

fletch wrote: »
    Might drop in over the weekend...sounds like some good deals

One of the lads was working in mulhuddart parts and has gone it alone with another guy. Sound lads - stock in house is limited but I'm sure he can order whatever you need. Delivery to mulhuddart store was always very quick and I'm assuming that they will be using the same suppliers.

There is a florist in behind the motor shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Guys. Excuse my ignorance but what constitutes clonsilla village. ? Dry cleaners/host down to molloys? Or am I completely off the mark

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd consider the village as being from the cleaners to the Clonsilla Inn and the shops beside it. At a push to the school, but certainly not as far as Molloys. But I'd say everyone has their own idea of what it is.

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd consider the village as being from the cleaners to the Clonsilla Inn and the shops beside it. At a push to the school, but certainly not as far as Molloys. But I'd say everyone has their own idea of what it is.

I'd agree with that assessement as to the village proper. The actual residential/postal address of Clonsilla would probably extend up as far as St Josephs Hospital and down to Molloys and up to Shelerin Road I would think. As an Ongar resident, I sometimes have to say I'm from Clonsilla as folks from elsewhere wouldn't be so familar with Ongar.

I don't think people try to exaggerate the boundary the way they do with Castleknock! :)

Its open to debate allright - above sounds good.

Fingal CC consider the village to be quite large in the documents they publish to be the whole block from the "Character Houses" at the Train Station and all the way down to the New bridge so as to include the primary school there and the old school and historic buildings on that road - then bounded by the railway line back to clonsilla station. I have a pdf outlining the area from them - but it might be a bit big to attach.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Just got a menu through the door from Spice of India ... looks nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I would say it's the same owner just a different name, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hootanany wrote: »
    I would say it's the same owner just a different name, I could be wrong.

Definitely not the same owner. Just got the menu myself, looks good and reasonably priced for Indian. Didn't look open earlier, think they were still painting outside, presume they're aiming for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Spice of India also have a restaurant on South William Street looks like the're starting a chain

Yesterday eve

Got their menu in the door this evening, looks interesting and rice included in the main courses too for 9-10 euro

Got their menu in the door this evening, looks interesting and rice included in the main courses too for 9-10 euro

Are you sure??? I didn't think so when I looked at it.

Are you sure you weren't just looking at the biriyani section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yep, it says all mains come with free rice or naan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Spice of India also have a restaurant on South William Street looks like the're starting a chain

I was in Spice of India (Sth William st) very recently. I enjoyed it!

• Advertisement

Opened this evening. Was in for a swift pint next door and the lads were in dishing out their menus. I'll scan and post when I get to work. Menu reads well.

I am sorry!!! You are correct don't know what I was looking at.

Menu is now up here
    http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/west_dublin/clonsilla/spice_of_india_clonsilla/menu

15 and 16 euros per main course by the looks of it - no mention there what it includes.

“Roll it back”

Menu is now up here
    http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/west_dublin/clonsilla/spice_of_india_clonsilla/menu

15 and 16 euros per main course by the looks of it - no mention there what it includes.

Cheers for linking. Here are the mains.

302565.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Murt10 wrote: »

Do you think it would work for take away?

Rules:
    *Reservation is essential - You can book a table by clicking HERE or visiting Menupages.ie and booking a table with Spice Of India (Clonsilla) through Menupages.ie. Either of these two online booking methods is required to validate the voucher.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Got a take away last night, very very good.

Will definitely be back.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Got a take away last night, very very good.

Will definitely be back.

What dya get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I'd agree with that assessement as to the village proper. The actual residential/postal address of Clonsilla would probably extend up as far as St Josephs Hospital and down to Molloys and up to Shelerin Road I would think. As an Ongar resident, I sometimes have to say I'm from Clonsilla as folks from elsewhere wouldn't be so familar with Ongar.

I don't think people try to exaggerate the boundary the way they do with Castleknock! :)

Ongarboy, I say Clonsilla too re Ongar after years of people going "Where???" (although in the last few years it seems people are more familiar with Ongar). I used to say Clonee but that always led to "But that's in Meath and not Dublin, isn't it?" and explanations of how there is a Dublin 15 Clonee and a Meath Clonee...Clonsilla is just easier to mention all round!

As for Spice of India in the old Shimla, just checked out their website and the food sounds delicious! Chicken Chaat starters are hard to come by!! I'll be ordering from them in the near future.

dodzy wrote: »
    What dya get ?
    Lamb Charahi, Veg Jalfrezi and Pilau Rice.
    The lamb was so tender and plenty of it. Plenty of different veg, in the Jalfrezi as well.

Might be giving them a call tonight! :)

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Might be giving them a call tonight! :)
    Just after finishing off our second take away visit from Spice of India and it was spot on.

Lamb Biryani, Chicken Jalfrezi, with Pilau rice, really really nice. If they keep up this standard, they'll have us completely hooked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I went for a meal on Saturday with my wife and kids.

I enjoyed the food but wont be going again in a hurry.

Sitting there eating your food and people coming in to order a takeaway looking at what your eating is not my kind of thing...very disappointed in the layout.
    Why would you put a takeaway counter at the back of the restaurant?
    The waiters weren't really nice.No character,not really pleasant.

Last thing.

The price...

Now I know indian is usually dearer than a chinese etc but its a rip off.

16 euro for a dish without rice or chips is taking the mickey this day and age.

Anyway just thought Id post my feelings..

Personally I used to always enjoy old shimla as a takeaway more than a sit in

If anyone has been so far and can say it's better than Jaipur, let me know so I can book our next Indian there to try out. I've been loyal to Jaipur since day 1 as they have never let me down with their quality, service and ambience.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

If anyone has been so far and can say it's better than Jaipur, let me know so I can book our next Indian there to try out. I've been loyal to Jaipur since day 1 as they have never let me down with their quality, service and ambience.

Agreed. And one of the many, many things I love about Jaipur is that it's never overcrowded - it's a lovely big restaurant so even when it's busy, you don't have people sitting on top of you. That used to worry me because I was concerned they might not be getting enough business, but they seem to be doing great on takeaways any time I'm in there, between collections and deliveries! I suppose the demographic around here includes a lot of couples with young children who might not have babysitters and would opt for a takeaway instead. That's my case anyway, although I do prefer going down there for a sit-down meal on the rare occasion when I do have a babysitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We used to go regularly but always thought it was a shame there was no bar to pop into after a meal in there, so when we were out for a meal and a few drinks afterwards we'd pick somewhere else.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    We used to go regularly but always thought it was a shame there was no bar to pop into after a meal in there, so when we were out for a meal and a few drinks afterwards we'd pick somewhere else.
    :confused:

Pub next door !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

dodzy wrote: »

Pub next door !

Now there is. But so is there an additional two members of our family!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Now there is. But so is there an additional two members of our family!

dude are you thinking of the right place?

old shimla....beside the clonsilla inn....

amdublin wrote: »

dude are you thinking of the right place?

old shimla....beside the clonsilla inn....

I think the conversation drifted to Jaipur...which was probably my fault!!!

I think the conversation drifted to Jaipur...which was probably my fault!!!
    You smokin stuff there ongarboy??:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement